2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2009 7:09 PM by seaneyefi

Adobe AIR installation questions

seaneyefi Level 1

Hi all,

I'm looking into the possibility of distributing an application with Adobe AIR and I've a few questions about the Adobe AIR installation process. Just to give you some background on the situation I'm in - if a user wants to use the service I'm working on, they need to install a binary application on their computer. We've a web site which communicates with this binary application. As the user as to install the binary application to begin with, we're beginning to look at AIR as a possible alternative to distributing the web content through a browser.

1. Adobe AIR installation requests that the user enters their computer password. Is there any way to retrieve this password from a separate installer? The binary application that we ask our users to install asks the user for their password and it would be nice to not ask the user to enter their password twice. Are there any possibilities for sharing this password between our binary application and the Adobe AIR installer?

2. If I sign up as a re-distributer of AIR, is the Adobe EULA which is displayed at the start of installation still necessary? I'm already displaying one EULA (with the binary application) and I'd prefer not to have to display two.

3. I'm assuming that there is no way to specify the directory into which I'd like the Adobe AIR runtime to be placed - can you confirm that Adobe AIR is always installed in the /Applications folder on mac and c:/Program Files on Windows?

This question goes out to Adobe AIR developers - If you have distributed your application with Adobe AIR, have you ever stumbled across the situation where a user has uninstalled the Adobe AIR runtime (either intentionally or unintentionally) and you are now left in a situation where a user cannot access your services because Adobe AIR is not installed on their computer. If so, are you aware of any usable fallbacks other than to tell customers that they have to have Adobe AIR installed to run the application?

Thanks

Sean

• 1. Re: Adobe AIR installation questions
          jbenson@oper8 Level 2

1:  We are working on a method to use a local socket to communicate with an installed c# application on the users machine.  The situation is very similar, however we store credentials encrypted and accessible to the installed binary.  If those credentials do not exist the AIR app requests the user to input them and they are sent to the binary.  These credentials are stored either per session, daily or forever per the user's preferences.  We use this method to let AIR be the front end it was designed to be and leave all the heavy lifting OS / processor wise to the binary.  Unsure if this would help but you can read a bit more on using local sockets here: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AIR/1.5/devappshtml/WS5b3ccc516d4fbf351e63e3d118666ade46-7caf. html

2:  The EULA is still required as the End User has to accept it.  If there's a way around that, I'm not aware.

3:  The installation directory can be changed by the user unless you are performing silent installs (available when you sign a redistribution agreement).  I don't recommend relying on the installation directory never changing.

Try using nativePath to determine where your program location is: (javascript)

//application directory

var file = air.File.applicationDirectory.resolvePath("testfile.html"); 
          air.trace(file.nativePath);

//application storage directory

var file = air.File.applicationStorageDirectory.resolvePath("testfile.html"); 
          air.trace(file.nativePath);

4:  I've faced the problem where the AIR runtime is not available, but we always fall back on the badge there.  For what it's worth it's pretty handy at detecting requirements and getting them to the user.

hope that helps

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adobe AIR installation questions
            seaneyefi Level 1

Hi there Jason - thanks for the reply. I think I'll apply for a redistributon license and see how I get on.

Sean