2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2008 8:42 AM by John T Smith

Basic html page will not display for my client!

matthew stuart Level 2
      I have built a new website for a client, and I have plonked it in a folder on his server so that he can view it without it being live, but when he views it from his office, the url (which is correct) loads a page stating that the page could not be found. I have loaded a preliminary design on a different server, and he can see that. (Just to clarify, I have loaded it on his server because his server will display php, my servers are windows and don't do php, that's why it's a preliminary design on my server)

Everybody I have sent this url to can see the new site design in the sub-folder, it even works on my iPhone, but none of his pc's in his office can get to the page. Any ideas as to why? As a test, the home page is currently very basic html, it simply says in h1 'Can you see this?' but still no joy.

There must be something he has on his system that stops his network for accessing new files on his own website, but what?

Thanks

Mat
        • 1. Re: Basic html page will not display for my client!
          Level 7
          matthew stuart wrote:
          > I have built a new website for a client, and I have plonked it in a folder on
          > his server so that he can view it without it being live, but when he views it
          > from his office, the url (which is correct) loads a page stating that the page
          > could not be found. I have loaded a preliminary design on a different server,
          > and he can see that. (Just to clarify, I have loaded it on his server because
          > his server will display php, my servers are windows and don't do php, that's
          > why it's a preliminary design on my server)
          >
          > Everybody I have sent this url to can see the new site design in the
          > sub-folder, it even works on my iPhone, but none of his pc's in his office can
          > get to the page. Any ideas as to why? As a test, the home page is currently
          > very basic html, it simply says in h1 'Can you see this?' but still no joy.
          >
          > There must be something he has on his system that stops his network for
          > accessing new files on his own website, but what?

Could it be a Firewall issue?

Dooza
          • 2. Re: Basic html page will not display for my client!
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            Hmm... slightly different, but could be related

Where I work (Washington State Univ) anyone may view anything in "public" areas, but only people with very specific permission settings may write to any area

This is all set by the IT staff, with some kind of Linux/Unix magic commands

You might have him check with his IT staff, to make sure the permissions are correct for not only the file(s) you uploaded, but the directory structure itself