4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 4, 2009 7:01 AM by David W. Goodrich RSS

How to enter Chinese characters?

joziG Community Member

I know this has been answered before, but I cannot find the answer right now.

Copying and pasting of Chinese text from other apps works fine in both InDesign and Illustrator.

Entering text, even with a Chinese font selected, simply results in Western type.

How can one get that right?

CS3, OS 10.5.6

• 1. Re: How to enter Chinese characters?
          [Jongware] CommunityMVP

Are you pressing the correct keys on your keyboard to enter Chinese?

... The correct answer would be, "No, I don't have the 60,000+ keys required". If you want to enter Chinese text, you need a keyboard (and/or a keyboard driver) that sends the correct Unicodes to InDesign.

Working on Windows, you can try this (it works for some OS/keyboard/program combinations):

• Press and hold Alt
          • Press the numeric keypad '+'
          • Enter the Unicode in hexadecimal [*]

[*] InDesign misbehaves here if you use the top row of your keyboard -- bullets and trademarks appear --, so, for 'regular' digits, use the numeric keypad. The letters should be entered as usual.

• On releasing the Alt key, the character is inserted.

[Post-edit] Oh ...you're on OS X. Well, I'm sure the Mac has a similar solution.

• 2. Re: How to enter Chinese characters?
            Kenneth Benson Community Member

Entering text, even with a Chinese font selected, simply results in Western type.

That's because you're entering Western type. Chinese fonts generally contain a full western character set, so simply typing an A should get you an A.

To enter Chinese characters, you have to change the input language. On Windows, you have to enable a a Chinese input language through Control Panel > Regional and Language Options. Then switch to Chinese input and enter Chinese characters phonetically. So if you type fei and enter, you get the character 非. It helps if you know some Chinese (I don't).

Mac must have some similar keyboard switching utility.

Ken

• 3. Re: How to enter Chinese characters?
              Bob Bringhurst - Adobe Adobe Employee

For Mac, you open the International tab in System Preferences, choose the Input Menu tab, and select the languages you want to make available. Select the "Show input menu in menu bar" option so that you can choose the language from the menu bar. When a Chinese language is selected, typing displays the characters in an input menu.

• 4. Re: How to enter Chinese characters?
                David W. Goodrich Community Member

You can of course use ID's Glyph Palette to enter Chinese characters, but it is not fun finding the character you want amid 30,000.

If you use a Chinese input method, don't forget to switch back when you want to type ASCII, or the keyboard will behave strangely.  (I'm supposed to know this, but sometimes I forget.)

Good luck!

David