2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2009 9:03 AM by maxwoes

AE changing aspect ratio of rendered frames

maxwoes

I'm rendering .png frames at NTSC DV, 720x480, Pixel aspect 0.9.  My composition settings in AE are set to the same, however, when I import the frames they are listed as 720x480 (1.11).  When viewed in the composition window the frames extend past the viewable area on both sides.  Using AE 7.0.

Why is this happening, and how do I fix it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

• 1. Re: AE changing aspect ratio of rendered frames
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is going to sound weird but it's the truth. The aspect ratio doesn't change the pixels. Aspect ratio only sets the interpretation - or tells a video app how to  make those pixels fit in a desired space on a scan line. It's a lot like the PPI tag added to images intended for print. The tag has nothing to do with the actual pixels.

That said, if you can't find a setting for choosing pixel aspect ratio when you setup the output module and the render settings, then the PAR tag won't be added to the render. AE, or your NLE will then take a look at the frame size and make a guess as to PAR and field order. The guess may be wrong. If it is, all you have to do is go into the interpretation settings and change them.

I'd guess you're rendering to a DV codec. If so, there's no PAR tag so all you have to do is reset the interpretation. The same goes for Premiere or FCP or Vegas or any other NLE. Sometimes DV footage gets interpreted as the wrong PAR.

Hope this helps.

• 2. Re: AE changing aspect ratio of rendered frames
            maxwoes Level 1

Rick,

First, let me say thanks for your quick response.  Your diagnosis and suggestion was correct.  I just chose the incorrect frames in the project- went in under File/Interpret Footage/Main and changed it from 1.11 to 0.9 and BAM!! everything is corrected.

Thanks again.  Have a good day.