13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2009 2:01 PM by Ned Murphy

having a loading issue... i think

thr63

hello everyone, i am working on a site for my online portfolio and ive run into a strange problem...

heres the url:

www.toddrushing.com

i have only completed the links to the top row of thumbnails.

when you click on any of the thumbnails on the top row except for the first, they redirect to the wrong frame...

however, if you wait a few seconds and then click, they work correctly.

at first all of this was in the same scene, but then i moved each image set to its own scene

i really have no idea how to fix this, so any and all help is appreciated

Thank you in advance

• 1. Re: having a loading issue... i think
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I can't tell that they go to the wrong frames.  They appear to go to where they should.

Would it be too much work to move them back to the same scene?  Scenes can be troublesome.

• 2. Re: having a loading issue... i think
            thr63 Level 1

sure, i have many versions saved so just uploaded the one where they are all still in the same scene

www.toddrushing.com

same site url

• 3. Re: having a loading issue... i think

Yeah, that one is misbehaving... saw a new one that looks more like what the thumbnail shows (3rd over) instead of some taxi scene this time.

So it's gonna come down to showing some code and describing how you having it all laid out.

• 4. Re: having a loading issue... i think
                thr63 Level 1

well, i can give you the file?

ill post some code up too, looking through my mess may be a pain tho

import flash.events.MouseEvent;

chair.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, chairpage);

function chairpage(event:MouseEvent):void {

gotoAndPlay(38);

}

air.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, airpage);

function airpage(event:MouseEvent):void {

gotoAndPlay(47);

}

taxi.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, taxipage);

function taxipage(event:MouseEvent):void {

gotoAndPlay(57)

}

food.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, foodpage);

function foodpage(event:MouseEvent):void {

gotoAndPlay(68)

}

thats the code for the thumbnails thats on the first frame after the intro animation

thanks for the help so far btw

• 5. Re: having a loading issue... i think

First, you don't need all (actually any) of those import statements.  Second, if you can save the fla file as a CS3 file (or earlier), and make it available via that web site, I can take a look at it and see if there's anything obvious.  Does the problem manifest itself in the test mode?

• 6. Re: having a loading issue... i think
                    thr63 Level 1

allright ill try that, its already a cs3 file so how can i make it available to you?

and it runs perfectly in test mode

• 7. Re: having a loading issue... i think

If you can upload it to www.toddrushing.com and provide a link I can grab it from there.  It'd probably be easier to try to fix if it didn't work in test mode though.

• 8. Re: having a loading issue... i think
                        thr63 Level 1

http://toddrushing.com/flashsite.htm

theres a link on that page to download the file

• 9. Re: having a loading issue... i think

I have the file and I'll give it a looking over.

Here's some things you may want to work on in the meantime.

Suggestion: All of those dashed lines in your tweens are faulty tweens--the library shows evidence of this with all of the Tween objects that Flash automatically created to fill in the blanks.  Some may just need to have the motion tween removed from the last keyframe and some are just not done correctly.  A valid motion tween has the same object at both ends, which is best achieved by placing the same object at both ends and then changing whichever one to the desired state.

Suggestion... break down Layer 12 into separate layers for each individual display item.

Question... what is going on with layers 3 on up to the top?   There appears to be a lot of tweening that ends in nothing being there (empty keyframes)

• 10. Re: having a loading issue... i think
                            thr63 Level 1

allright ill try that,

and im not sure whats going on with those top 3 layers either

• 11. Re: having a loading issue... i think

Here's the best advice I can give for now... start over using the following approach:

1) dedicate one layer for all of your actionscript... only actionscript.  Don't place actionscript in frames where objects are.  What I sometimes do is make a couple layers.  One for code that will be applicable to the whole timeline, like functions and variables, and another for control code such as stop(); commands and code specific to a particular frame or set of frames.

2) dedicate one layer for frame labels.  Labels will be better than using frame numbers when you use gotoAndPlay/Stop commands.

3) dedicate one layer for each displayed item.  One for each of the thumbnails, one for the menu of links, and one for each set of images.

4) for the sets of images, you could create each one as a separate movieclip, though you don't have to.  Within those movieclips you could have the navigation buttons appear on their own layers so that you don't have new instances of them in each frame.  One of each is enough to get you thru a set of images.

5) Don't use motion tweens except where they are intended.  Anytime you see blue frames, there's a motion tween at work... you currently have many adjacent frames that have motion tweens... motion tweens are only meaningful across a span of frames, not one frame to the next.

There's probably plenty more I could suggest, but I can't spend that kind of time with this.  The key to making this function properly will be in keeping it as simple as possible... I can only figure that Flash is as confused as I am when it comes to working with what you have assembled.  Please don't feel insulted (or other bad stuff) due to my comments.  These are all things you learn as you progress.

• 12. Re: having a loading issue... i think
                                thr63 Level 1

yeah ill do it over from the beginning, i think thats the best way to go

ill definately use all your other advise too,

thanks again!

• 13. Re: having a loading issue... i think

You're welcome.