5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2009 1:04 AM by Harm Millaard

Drive setup?

JBrown321 Level 1

Should I have my project files on the same drive as the media (scratch) drive? Does it make any difference if it is on the main (c) drive with the os or not?  I have 2 WD velolciraptors as a raid 0 as my scratch drive and a WD caviar as my OS and programs drive.  I use two 1 terrabyte drives mirrored for backups of my projects.  Any thoughts or suggestioned are appreciated.

• 1. Re: Drive setup?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Look at the storage guide mentioned here:

How to get the best from a PC? Some guides...

Where are your media stored?

• 2. Re: Drive setup?
            JBrown321 Level 1

My media is captured to the raid 0 setup and then I back up my projects with the project manager to the two 1 terrabyte drives.

Thanks for the link. There is alot of valuable information and I am very thankful for people like you.

• 3. Re: Drive setup?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Your setup seems logical given the number of disks you have at your disposal. I would put the project files on the raid1 mirrored 1 TB disks and export your finished projects to the raid1, the scratch disks with the media on the raid0 (even in case of a disk failure you can recapture and rebuild your scratch files, so no heavy loss, just time) and leave your WD for OS/programs. I would also put your pagefile on the raid0. Just my .02

• 4. Re: Drive setup?
                fred tyler Level 1

Harm, Sorry to hijack this thread! By putting the pagefile on another driver other than C: would that mean that drive would also be required in any backup image?

Recently I somehow got bootmgr on to another drive and windows 7 64 system image, wanted to backup both drives!

• 5. Re: Drive setup?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Fred, there is no need to include the pagefile in any backup image, whether it is located on the C drive or any other drive. As you know the pagefile is used for temporary storage only and when you reboot your system and not yet start any applications, the pagefile is empty. The file exists but does not yet contain any relevant information. Since making the file is so easy and the contents change all the time, there is no need to include it in any image. Also, if you ever need the image to restore your system, Windows will either use the still existing pagefile on another drive and only when that file is not found, will it create a dynamic pagefile on the C drive. Hope this clear it up.