9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2008 4:37 PM by basecolor

Convert vectors to slices?

basecolor
      Anyone know a shortcut for converting vector art to web slices? I've almost got my project figured out, and by figured out I mean I'm completely lost. Can you help? The shapes are too complex to use the tools I've found in the pallete.
        • 1. Re: Convert vectors to slices?
          basecolor Level 1
          I guess this topic should have been named 'working with overlapping slices'. The problem I'm having doesn't so much relate to converting vectors to slices, although it would be a nice feature, as it relates more to figuring out how to make a polygon slice appear in my browser as a polygon. I'm getting really frustrated.
          • 2. Re: Convert vectors to slices?
            JoeDaSilva Level 4
            If you post the PNG I can draw your slices on for you to give you an idea how it's done. You can only use rectangular slices, as that's the cold reality of the inter-webs.

Once you've drawn a slice on top of your artwork, set it to the proper export file type (gif, jpeg, etc), then right click on the slice and choose "export selected slice". You'd then take that sliced image and assemble it into your HMTL using Dreamweaver or another similar application.

If you take a look at this image:
            http://joedasilva.com/images/masthead.jpg

You can see how it fits into my homepage HTML here:
            http://joedasilva.com/

• 3. Re: Convert vectors to slices?
              basecolor Level 1
              This is the png as I have it now. Been thru many various stages lol

I have every piece of the shoe made as .gifs in every color combo on the menu so all the art is done. I just don't see a way to do this without flash, but I'm no expert. So, there could be something I'm missing?

clicky
              • 4. Re: Convert vectors to slices?
                JoeDaSilva Level 4
                What are you trying to accomplish exactly? If a user selects one of the color chips what happens?
                • 5. Re: Convert vectors to slices?
                  basecolor Level 1
                  The corresponding panel of the shoe changes color. When a color combination is settled upon the results are emailed to me for production.
                  • 6. Re: Convert vectors to slices?
                    JoeDaSilva Level 4
                    Wow yeah, that would mean you have about 2500 combinations right? I'm not sure how you were planning on accomplishing that, but some kind of scripting is going to be required. I'd recommend Flash, as that would be an easy way of setting up a "if user clicks X show them Y" type of scenario.

• 7. Re: Convert vectors to slices?
                      basecolor Level 1
                      Yeah I had it set up but the scripts won't work right in layers. I was using div tags and they kinda work but its a huge mess. Everything interferes with itself lol
                      • 8. Re: Convert vectors to slices?
                        pixlor Level 4
                        You have 209,088 possible combinations (11 * 11 * 8 * 3 * 8 * 3 * 3).

You don't have a Web page...you have a software application that's accessed via the Web.You need to think of it in those terms.

I made a JavaScript book recommendation for you in your previous thread on this topic: layered image swaps. But that was when I thought you only had three things to change. I really think you should take this application to Flash. In Flash, you can set your shapes and then use the selections to change the fill dynamically. Flash is really made to do just this kind of thing.

Trying to do this with DHTML and transparent gifs (which will have to have hard, aliased edges for the transparency) just seems crazy to me.

Again, good luck!

• 9. Re: Convert vectors to slices?
                          basecolor Level 1
                          quote:

Originally posted by: pixlor
                          You have 209,088 possible combinations (11 * 11 * 8 * 3 * 8 * 3 * 3).

You don't have a Web page...you have a software application that's accessed via the Web.You need to think of it in those terms.

I made a JavaScript book recommendation for you in your previous thread on this topic: layered image swaps. But that was when I thought you only had three things to change. I really think you should take this application to Flash. In Flash, you can set your shapes and then use the selections to change the fill dynamically. Flash is really made to do just this kind of thing.

Trying to do this with DHTML and transparent gifs (which will have to have hard, aliased edges for the transparency) just seems crazy to me.

Again, good luck!

Lol thanks. I knew it was a handful but thought there was a possibility it could be done. Most of these are done with teams of people and have a huge budget, and sorry to admit but those are neither the case here. I thank again, you two, who made replies to either thread. I thought I had figured out a way to do this after I posted the first thread and that just ran me in to another dead end. The project was scrapped for now. It wasn't my site, and the owner decided not to pursue this avenue just yet. I guess I'll have to buy Flash as my next move. I used to have it, but left the industry for a few years.

Thanks, Marshall