12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2009 12:12 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Creates New .CFA files every time I open the project

RxEditor

I have a project that contains 2 long (70 min.) clips.  Each time I open the project, Premiere conforms the audio for both clips.  I save the project, close Premiere, open it right back up and it starts conforming the audio again.

I have tried changing where Premiere stores the audio preview files, but no matter what I do, Premiere puts the .CFA files where it wants.

I have 8 versions of the same .CFA files - and the next time I open Premiere, I'll have 9.

Any help would be much appreciated!

• 1. Re: Premiere Creates New .CFA files every time I open the project
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Tell us more about your settings, since I can't replicate your problems.

• 2. Re: Premiere Creates New .CFA files every time I open the project
            Eddie Lotter Level 4

One or more of your disk settings may be incorrect. See Troubleshoot audio playback (Adobe Premiere Pro), otherwise provide the details Harm asked for.

Cheers
            Eddie

• 3. Re: Premiere Creates New .CFA files every time I open the project
              RxEditor Level 1

I took a look at the Troubleshooting link you posted, and it was a little helpful but isn't quite up to date.  For example, it says to specify a new location for conformed audio files by choosing Edit > Preferences > Scratch Disks, which isn't an actual menu tree in CS4.  Here is how I've set things up:

I have gone to  Edit > Preferences > Media and set the location for Media Cache Files to C:\PPro_Video and set the Media Cache Database to the same folder.  When prompted, I chose to delete the existing Media Cache database file.  I left the "save media cache files next to originals when possible" box unchecked.

Then I have gone to Project > Project Settings > Scratch Disks and set the Audio and Video Preview files to the same folder (C:\PPro_Video)

I saved the project, closed Premiere, and deleted everything inside C:\PPro_Video.

I restarted Premiere and opened my project.  Premiere created three folders inside C:\PPro - Media Cache, Media Cache Files, and Adobe Premiere Preview Files.  I then waited while Premiere created the .CFA and .PEK files inside C:\PPro\Media Cache Files.  Once they were done, I closed Premiere.

Reopened the project.  Premiere immediately begins to conform the audio again.  I look inside C:\PPro\Media Cache Files and see new versions of PEK and CFA files being created with the same file names suffixed by an _1.

Setting aside, for the moment, that using my C drive for a scratch disc might not be optimal, what am I doing wrong?

• 4. Re: Premiere Creates New .CFA files every time I open the project
                RxEditor Level 1

One important addendum to my last post:  Once the CFA and PEK files had been created, I re-saved the project, then closed Premiere.

• 5. Re: Premiere Creates New .CFA files every time I open the project
                  TysonX

I have the same problem on one of my projects. Its really annoying and time consuming. Every time i open the project i have to wait to conform files all over again. This project is huge so it takes like 15 minutes every time before i can start editing. This project came from a previously created CS3 project file so im wondering if that may have something to do with it.

• 6. Re: Premiere Creates New .CFA files every time I open the project
                    Eddie Lotter Level 4

This project came from a previously created CS3 project file so im wondering if that may have something to do with it.

That's entirely possible, it is usually best to create a CS4 project and import the CS3 project. People have posted the most success doing that.

Cheers
                    Eddie

• 7. Re: Premiere Creates New .CFA files every time I open the project
                      RxEditor Level 1

While that's possible, the problem I've described comes from a brand-new CS4 project.

In fact, to better understand what was going on, I created the project yet again before taking the steps outlined above in order to eliminate the possibility of some kind of project corruption.

I've used CS3 at home for several years without similar difficulties.  I use Premiere at work primarily to deal with files not directly accessible to the Avid DS which is the main edit system.  I like some of the new features, particularly the batch capability of Adobe Media Encoder.  Since the two versions of Premiere I use run on very different systems, I can't really compare performance.  But my impression is that CS3 seems a bit more stable.

At any rate, I'm at a loss why Premiere Pro would create two versions of the same .CFA file in the same project.  It obviously sees the existing file, because it appends a number to subsequent files.  I can't see how that could be the result of wrong settings on my part, but I'm open to any suggestions.

I really appreciate the input from this forum. Thanks!

Robert

• 8. Re: Premiere Creates New .CFA files every time I open the project
                        Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

It's possible that it's specific to your media files (or at least, some of them).

Convoluted explanation:

Premiere uses XMP for embedding metadata associated with media files.  XMP has a notion of a unique identifier, and this is used as part of a lookup key when Premiere creates CFA and PEK files.  If your media file, for whatever reason, seems to be damaged somehow, XMP will refuse to embed its information in the media file in case it might damage it more.  The side effect of this is that every time Premiere opens the file, it will generate a new XMP data blob, so the ID will change every time you open the project.  If that happens, the CFA & PEK IDs won't match anymore, and Premiere will think that it needs to generate new ones.

I've seen this happen with some WAV files that were generated by a Tascam field recorder  (where the file was fine, but inside the guts of the file, there was a mismatch between the supposed file length and the actual data size);  it can also happen if your files are set to read-only, which will prevent XMP from writing to them.

HTH

• 9. Re: Premiere Creates New .CFA files every time I open the project
                          Thehighwaychild

I have the same problem.  Everytime I re-open the project it starts conforming the same audio again.  I'm using two external drives where much of the footage is stored.  I saw the mention below of how CS4 does this when you have external drives.  I can try using the project manager and create a new project on an internal drive but that is going to be a big hassle because this is a huge project.  So huge that its divided into two seperate projects.  About 500Gigs each.  Everything was fine on CS 2, now that I've upgraded I have so many hassles.  I've never had a product that caused me so much trouble.  Everyday is a new problem.

Enough venting.  Does ANYONE have a solution.  I tried the audio troubleshooting link to no avail (Thanks for the link).  My media cache is set to an internal drive.  I'm not moving files.  I'm not deleting the media cache between opening projects.  I guess its the external drive issue or maybe some XMP issue.  If it is the external drive why all of sudden can't people use external drives with premiere.  Its ridiculous.  You have to totally re-invent and do all of these work arounds to use CS4.  ADOBE, GET IT TOGETHER!!! 

• 10. Re: Premiere Creates New .CFA files every time I open the project
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

Convoluted explanation:

Thanks for that, Wil.  I have two files myself that are continually conformed every time I open that particular project.  Both are .wav files recorded externally.

• 11. Re: Premiere Creates New .CFA files every time I open the project
                              _dbk

A follow-up question, if you don't mind Wil; does this mean one will always have this problem when switching off "Write XMP ID to Files on Import"?

I ask because I was surprised to see that importing media into PPro was updating the source files' "modified" date, at least according to the filesystem [Mac OS X 10.5.2]. I also just noticed something that seems a bit odd, screen-grab attached, PPro's Bin modified shows different than the filesystem's info.

I've tried locking files using the filesystem and this doesn't seem to cause the CFA and PEK file regeneration issue on this system, at least for an MP4 source file.

Is it necessary to modify the source files to use GUIDs, assuming that is the "unique identifier" you refer to?

Thanks

• 12. Re: Premiere Creates New .CFA files every time I open the project
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Did you read Wil Renczes' comments of June 06?

Also, considering that this is a user-to-user forum, it is highly unlikely that Adobe will be reading this thread.

Did you file a Feature Request/Bug Report? That would be a good place to start. Please give Adobe all necessary info, so that they can reproduce your exact problem, otherwise it will be very difficult for them to work on a fix.

Good luck,

Hunt