5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2009 6:59 PM by mad_styles

MPEG 2 compression problem

mad_styles
      Hi, I was wondering if someone could please give me some advice on MPEG encoding in Premiere Pro CS3. I'm using the standard MPEG 2 DVD when exporting my movie (which is made up of PNGs 1024 x 576), the problem is its just compressing my movie way too much.
      Even when I shrink down a single PNG image to 720 by 405 they still don't look as bad as when converted to MPEG format. Even when I export it to MOV from Aftereffects its still not as compressed, but i need to keep the MPEG format for a DVD.
      My movie is only 1 min 40 sec,roughly 50mb I've got 2 other things to go on the DVD which come to about 800mb all up, so I've still got 3.9gb unused which I'd rather use to maximise the resolution of my movie.
      I could increase bit rate but apparently most DVD players can't handle higher than 9, surely there must be some way i can get better picture quality?
        • 1. Re: MPEG 2 compression problem
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          I'm using the standard MPEG 2 DVD

That would be an interlaced preset, which can wreck any progressive source.

made up of PNGs 1024 x 576

That is a square pixel aspect ratio proportion for widescreen.  DVD can't handle that.  It'll require 720 x 576 using a 1,4 pixel aspect ratio, so the export is doing come conversion here.  Better if your source was also 720 x 576 with a 1,4 PAR.

• 2. Re: MPEG 2 compression problem
            Dan Isaacs Level 2

How exactly does an interlaced preset wreck progressive sources? Titles, graphics, portions of the video where nothing is moving… there are all "progressive" sources and should encode fine.

Can you post a PNG from your project? Also, what are your project settings?

• 3. Re: MPEG 2 compression problem
              mad_styles Level 1

Yeah I probably should have rendered out my stills (its a 3d animation) at the resolution for DVD, I don't have time to re-render the whole thing though, the other MPEG preset looks just the same though.

• 4. Re: MPEG 2 compression problem
                Jim_Simon Level 8

How exactly does an interlaced preset wreck progressive sources?

By giving you only half the resolution of the original.  You'd get a better result using a progressive setting in the DVD encoding options.

• 5. Re: MPEG 2 compression problem
                  mad_styles Level 1

Here's 2 stills one of the original PNGs which i shrunk down to 720 x 405, but still doesn't look as bad as the MPEG still, the difference isn't huge but its taking something that is already smaller resolution than I'd like and making it worse.

My project settings are: MPEG 2 DVD encoder, PAL 720 x 576, 25 fps, quality 5, VBR 2 passes, video codec Mainconcept MPEG video, widescreen 16:9, min bitrate 1.5, target bitrate 4, max birate 7.

The main problem is not so much how it looks on my computer but on our 40" LCD its looks pretty budget.