8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2009 7:38 PM by Selkirk Boy

Can't view Raw photos in CS

Selkirk Boy

I just installed upgrade from CS2 to CS4 and can't view my Raw files in Bridge or have access to Camera Raw as getting not right kind of document. I have no problems with my prior CS2 showing my Raw photos. Does any one know the fix to this.

• 1. Re: Can't view Raw photos in CS
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

You really need to provide some base level of info in order to expect anybody to help you...such as what OS, what Camera Raw version, what camera. If you are saying that the same files that ACR 3.x in Photoshop CS2 can read can't be read by Camera Raw 5.x hosted in Bridge or Photoshop CS4 then you seem to have some serious install issues...but again, to get help you need to supply basic troubleshooting info.

• 2. Re: Can't view Raw photos in CS
            Selkirk Boy Level 1

Thanks for the reply Jeff. I am using Windows XP and use a Canon 5D and have

always shot only in Raw. I tried to manually update to Camera Raw 5.3 but

all of the manual instructions talk about replacing the file Camera Raw.8bi

with the new one off of that download and I have yet to see or find such a

file - in the 5.3 download or Adobe on my computer in CS4 or my CS2.   I am

thinking I am going to have to try to remove CS4 and try running it from

scratch again ? I am a loss here, as you can't get any help from Adobe and I

can't find any help off of the Web. I have lost a week now, so at least you

are giving me a bit of hope. I did try to update thru the updater in Bridge

CS4 and that will not even run the updates thru. Such a shame after using

Photoshop for so many years. Thanks Greg

• 3. Re: Can't view Raw photos in CS
              CR Henderson Level 3

You can find the install locations and directions on how to install in the Camera Raw readme file.  If you can't locate it in your download you can get it directly off of the Adobe web site:

http://www.adobe.com/special/photoshop/camera_raw/Camera_Raw_5.3_ReadMe.pdf

If you have the plug-in installed as per the directions and are still having problems then as Jeff has already suggested you will need to rephrase your question(s) and provide more explicit info.

• 4. Re: Can't view Raw photos in CS
                Jeff Schewe Level 5

The download for the Windows version of Camera Raw 5.3 is a zip file. You'll need to unzip it to locate the 5.3 "Camera Raw.8bi" plug-in. Once you do that there should be an existing older plug-in located as per the instructions from Adobe:

Manual installation on Windows:

1. Exit Photoshop CS4 and Adobe Bridge.
                2. Open the download file, double-click CameraProfiles.exe, and follow the on-screen instructions.
                3. Open My Computer.
                4. Double-click Local Disk (C:).
                5. Navigate to: (Please read directory carefully)

Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS4\File Formats

6. Move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to another location (for example, a new folder on your desktop). Ensure you keep this version in case you need to revert back.
                7. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw.8bi, from the download into the same folder as Step 5.
                8. Launch Photoshop CS4 or Adobe Bridge.

If you don't have the directory "Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS4\File Formats" you either don't have a normal proper install or you've got some block to seeing the directory such as an admin issue. You need to be running under admin level to do this. It's also possible the the location is different because you have a different boot drive letter or you are running under a language other than English in which case you'll need to navigate to the proper location based on your language which I can't help you with.

• 5. Re: Can't view Raw photos in CS
                  Selkirk Boy Level 1

Hi Jeff and CR,  I thank you both so much for responding to my cry for help.

I thought I was lost there for awhile and you both giving me some your

valuable time has paid off. My new CS4 Bridge and Camera Raw are up and

running fantastic. Through some of the info that you both sent and  Jeff's

added note to read very carefully,  I could tell I was missing something and

it was me not being able to see the full file extensions. I just had to

change my computer's file setup.  To help anyone else I have pasted in this

Adobe Tech release that covers most of the bases and did the trick for me.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407344.html

Thanks so much !!

• 6. Re: Can't view Raw photos in CS
                    Selkirk Boy Level 1

Hi Jeff and CR,  I thank you both so much for responding to my cry for help.

I thought I was lost there for awhile and you both giving me some your

valuable time has paid off. My new CS4 Bridge and Camera Raw are up and

running fantastic. Through some of the info that you both sent and  Jeff's

added note to read very carefully,  I could tell I was missing something and

it was me not being able to see the full file extensions. I just had to

change my computer's file setup.  To help anyone else I have pasted in this

Adobe Tech release that covers most of the bases and did the trick for me.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407344.html

Thanks so much !!

• 7. Re: Can't view Raw photos in CS
                      Benny Pedersen

Hi Greg I have made a little program, which I use to open the photoshop folders. It is an ascii type (not binary), so you can ope it in Notepad and modify it (if needed). When double clicked, it ask about a photoshop version. Photoshop Elements, Photoshop, or CS version. Then it ask about what folder you want to open. Simple! Work on both XP and Vista, http://fineraw.com/stuff/free/OpenFolder.CMD Benny

• 8. Re: Can't view Raw photos in CS
                        Selkirk Boy Level 1

Hi Benny,

Thanks for the file. I will store it for now as a just in case, as

everything seems to be working smoothly for me now. But one never knows.

Thank you so much for your help, Benny. Always nice to have helpful people

like you around !! Greg