9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2009 6:02 AM by the_wine_snob

No sound in editor from AVI file

Rich_P7 Level 1

Hi I wrote a videogame a while back on my PC. I just made a video of it it action (using an application called FRAPS). The game has music and sound effects. The movie file is an .avi file. It plays and sounds fine in Media Player when I watch the movie. When I import it into Adobe Premiere - it is lacking sound of any kind. The game was recorded at 60fps so I used NTSC option in Premiere Elements, but I did try PAL too and it made no difference. It plays ok - just no sound. Can anyone help? Thank you

Rich

• 1. Re: No sound in editor from AVI file
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You're likely to have lots of problems editing FRAPS in Premiere Elements, Rich. The frame rates, frame sizes and codecs just aren't something the program is designed to work with.

Windows MovieMaker might be able to do it. So might VideoWave.

But getting it to work in Premiere Elements is likely to be more trouble than it's worth.

• 2. Re: No sound in editor from AVI file
            Paul_LS Level 4

As a follow up to Steve's comments... there are a number of posts where folks have reported issues with the audio in FRAPS files when working with Premiere Elements and Premiere Pro. You probably need to convert to DV-AVI... however the frame size will be the standard size for NTSC widescreen (874x480) or standard 4:3 (640 x 480)... it will not be the resolution of the captured video.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: No sound in editor from AVI file
              Rich_P7 Level 1

Thanks Steve and Paul. It works fine in Movie Maker, but its not very good for making full screen video in that. I always seem to get borders. I don't actually need to edit the footage at all, just make it into video - cos the AVI file is very large (uncompressed). It does play fine in Premiere Elements editor but just don't get any sound at all. I will make in MovieMaker for the time being. Thank you

• 4. Re: No sound in editor from AVI file
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Rich,

What is the Audio CODEC out of FRAPS? G-Spot will tell you. It is likely that FRAPS is doing something odd with the Audio. For ideal handling, you will want PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit Audio. What does FRAPS provide? Remember, there can be totally different CODEC's for both Audio and Video.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: No sound in editor from AVI file
                  Rich_P7 Level 1

Hi in Gspot it comes up with 'Fraps Video Decompressor' codec. Audio on Gspot says PCM Audio. No codec required. But I guess the audio is linked to the video. Frequency is 48000 Hz.

I made the video ok in Windows Movie Maker in the end, and I was fairly pleased with it.

• 6. Re: No sound in editor from AVI file
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, the PCM WAV 48KHz 16-bit should work fine. The FRAPS Video CODEC should not impact that at all - only the Video part.

At least you got it done in WMM, but I still wonder what was going on with the Audio in PE. If you ever have time, you might want to Import the Audio-only portion into say Audacity and then do a Save_As, choosing PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit. Import the muxed file into PE, and also the PCM/WAV. Replace the Audio from the muxed file (Alt-click on the Audio Clip and choose Delete), with the non-muxed PCM/WAV. Sometimes, muxed Assets can cause problems. When they do not work correctly in Adobe Encore, I just do elemental streams, and these always work fine.

Good luck, and let us know if you get time to experiment,

Hunt

• 7. Re: No sound in editor from AVI file
                      Qwiggalo Level 1

Premiere might not be made with FRAPS video in mind, but it works great with a little custom settings.

Editing Mode: Desktop

Timebase: 30FPS

Frame Size: Whichever resolution you had in-game when you recorded the footage. If the video will be for webviewing like Youtube I use 1280x720.

Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square Pixels (1.0)

Fields: Progressive

Sample Rate: 44100 Hz

And when you're ready to render, if your purpose is to upload to Youtube I find these settings make a high quality video and small enough file size.

Video Codec: Windows Media Video 9

Encoding Passes: One

Bitrate Mode: Constant

1280x720

Framerate: 30

Aspect: 1.0

Max Bitrate 10,000

Image Quality: 50

Auio Codec: Windows Media Audio 9.2

Encoding Passes: One

Bitrate Mode: Constant

196 kbps, 44 kHz stereo CBR

I used these settings for this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1abDBaKFh1E

Black bars on the sides because my monitor is 16:10 and don't really care because it's not a serious video.

• 8. Re: No sound in editor from AVI file
                        Rich_P7 Level 1

Thanks Hunt and Qwiggalo. I will try both your suggestions if and when I make another video with FRAPS. I do prefer Premiere to WMM for all editing functions, so it would be better for me to use that anyway. I have to use the older version of WMM because the new Vista version always has the volume set to full when you import clips. This means you can never increase the volume within WMM which is really annoying. Anyway thanks for the help and information, it is much appreciated. Qwiggalo - your video is very high quality, so it looked like it worked well. Here's my game video - it's a bit simpler, but I did write it myself, and I am learning http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BkTo2sT03Y

Rich

• 9. Re: No sound in editor from AVI file
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Rich,

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. Thanks to Quiggalo for the info on the FRAPS work, plus the workflow.

Hunt