23 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2009 6:45 PM by thebouv

Any Flex Developers Out there looking to Exand The Community

webtechhosting

Recently, A site Called Flexden.net Was Launched,

It is the first Adobe Flex Marketplace of Its kind,

I figured I would invite some peeps on over ,to check it Out,and sign up.

I have already made 4 sales,and the site isnt even all that big yet,

I believe this service will be a success.

Hopefully somone will have some thoughts on this here,

Cheers

Dave

• 1. Re: Any Flex Developers Out there looking to Exand The Community
          JeffryHouser Level 4

I think it is an interesting site, and it is good for such marketplaces to exist in the Flex world.  But I have to wonder how you think it will expand the community.

• 2. Re: Any Flex Developers Out there looking to Exand The Community
            webtechhosting Level 1

Well..

I guess I meant to help grow the flex community.

Helping Newbies to get started making applications,

Full Fledged working applications,and such.

It will give them a chance to make some money,as well as save some when building their applications,etc.

I guess I just hope it will be a good place to help.

Thanks for Your Input,

B

• 3. Re: Any Flex Developers Out there looking to Exand The Community
              JeffryHouser Level 4

I'm playing devil's advocate a bit here, but I just don't understand how a site that sells components will help grow the Flex Community or help newbies learn.

I guess I don't grok the core values / purpose of the site.

• 4. Re: Any Flex Developers Out there looking to Exand The Community
                webtechhosting Level 1

Well I guess i dont understand how it WONT help the flex community,

Flashden.net sure helped the Flash community,

If You want to read what others think about it,

here are two Great Flex Developers Opinions,

http://polygeek.com/tag/flex-marketplace

http://danorlando.com/?p=182

Maybe that will answer Your Questions,

Im just trying to help,

Cheers

• 5. Re: Any Flex Developers Out there looking to Exand The Community
                  webtechhosting Level 1

The popularity and high demand of Rich Internet Applications mean short development cycles where RIA programmers are required to crank out applications faster than ever before. Despite the economic situation, the online developer marketplace continues to thrive without showing even a hint of letting up. In fact, it is expected that the demand for solutions that speed up the workflow for designers and developers will continue to increase at an exponential rate as the web continues to evolve and become more cohesive with the desktop by providing Software as a Service (SaaS). By providing the ability to quickly locate a component or application to fulfill a particular need, resulting in large projects that finish in time and under budget, FlexDen.net is an invaluable resource for Flex and AIR developers.

Adobe continues to lead the way in the RIA arena by providing the most utilized platform for RIA development. With the next major release of Flex coming, followed closely by the much-anticipated release of Flash Catalyst - a program designed to streamline the workflow between designers and developers - its interesting to note that the closest competitors, Microsoft Sliverlight and now JavaFX, are still at least two years behind Adobe. FlexDen.net is a testament to the work that Adobe has put into advancing technology, and serves as the first independent community dedicated to Flex and AIR developers. Flex developers can not only collaborate amongst each other, they can earn income by selling the Flex and AIR components and Applications that they have created.  This is big news for Flex freelancers that are having trouble finding work right now because of the recent developmental slow-down due to the economy. FlexDen.net provides a way for Flex and AIR developers to create a stream of passive income just by publishing their work on the site.

It is also noteworthy to point out that FlexDen.net serves as a means for freelance Flex developers to find work. It is not uncommon for the buyer of a component or application to hire the developer at an hourly rate to customize the work to fit the specific needs of the purchaser. Additionally, creating a profile at FlexDen.net is free, and even developers that don’t have components or applications that they can sell yet can at least create a profile on the site in order to advertise themselves to potential employers.

Being that the site is so young, now is a better time than ever to get in, because if I am correct in my prediction, FlexDen.net will likely grow even faster than FlashDen, which currently has 162,468 members and 7,420 Flash components and applications available for purchase. I’ve personally learned quite a bit simply by purchasing interesting components and applications and just taking a look at the source code. It’s amazing what you can learn by studying the work of other developers, even if you don’t end up ever using the componenent. There is a lot of open source libraries available, and they provide for an excellent learning tool as well. However, one thing is for sure - I’ve been in a position many times before, where I needed some sample code and couldn’t find anything available that was similiar enough and of high enough quality through open source.  Its times like those that the 10 or 15 bucks that I paid for the source code on a site like FlexDen.net went a long way in terms of the knowledge I gained and the speed at which I was able to deliver the product to the client as a result.

• 6. Re: Any Flex Developers Out there looking to Exand The Community
                    thebouv

Copying someone's blog post isn't YOU explaining it.

You can't explain what seems like a simple quesiton:  how does FlexDen (a copycat of FlashDen) help build the community?

If you can't answer that yourself, then stop trying please.  Just hurting yourself.

• 7. Re: Any Flex Developers Out there looking to Exand The Community
                      webtechhosting Level 1

Wow .... Ummm.... Ok.

I think FlexDen.net will help the community by helping Flex Developers Join together in unity to Share,Learn,and Make Money Selling their Flex Applications.

I think it will help the Guy who wants to save some time on his Project,by letting him see how certain functionalities Work,and or Saving Time by simply using the components in their applications.

I also Think it will help Those Who are looking for Freelance Jobs,and want to Bid on Flex Work.

There Hows That for starters???????

I didnt think it took a Genius to figure that out.

And FlexDen is Not a copy cat of Flashden

I think they are both totally seperate services,and I back the one who pays more,and the one who conforms to business practices,and standards of the United States,as well as Focuses on what the Community wants,and suggests.

I have a feeling that You would like to stir up an argument here,and thats not what I am looking to do,

I am just sharing an opinion,

So I would expect some understanding on that level,

Hope You have a great Day!

• 8. Re: Any Flex Developers Out there looking to Exand The Community
                        webtechhosting Level 1

And maybe You should read the Blog post,

You might find the answer there too!

• 9. Re: Any Flex Developers Out there looking to Exand The Community
                          JeffryHouser Level 4

Thanks, I was beginning to think it was just me not grokking.

• 10. Re: Any Flex Developers Out there looking to Exand The Community
                            webtechhosting Level 1

I am sorry if You feel as if the service will have a negative effect on the community.,

• 11. Re: Any Flex Developers Out there looking to Exand The Community
                              JeffryHouser Level 4

I think your mission statement says it well in Engrish:

"FlexDen's Mission is to provide the Flex Community a Secure, User-Friendly Platform, and Infrastructure for Selling, and Buying Adobe Flex Creatives."

I think it is a stretch to position a marketplace as a way to grow the community or as an education resource.  Anyone looking for Flex based software or services is already in the community. People not in the community will not go looking for a site like this.

• 12. Re: Any Flex Developers Out there looking to Exand The Community
                                JeffryHouser Level 4

I never said it would have a negative effect on the community.

I only said I don't understand how it will help expand the community.

• 13. Re: Any Flex Developers Out there looking to Exand The Community
                                  webtechhosting Level 1

I dont own the service,

I do think its funny how some have a positive opinion about the service,and some dont!

To each his own I guess,

There are some Well known Members of the Community that are already using the service,or Have signed up.

Such as Peter Elst,or Lee Brimelow.

I guess they think it will help the "Community".

So to be quite "Frank" I am unclear as to what argument/debate Your trying to make.

• 14. Re: Any Flex Developers Out there looking to Exand The Community
                                    JeffryHouser Level 4

I was not trying to start an argument or debate.

You can here pitching the site as a way to expand the community and educate people.  I don't understand how itwill do either of those things.  I think I made that a consistent point in all my posts.

• 15. Re: Any Flex Developers Out there looking to Exand The Community
                                      webtechhosting Level 1

Excuse My Ignorance.

But after all that,

If You still dont understand,

Then I dont think You should be a community Expert.

Because you still have not explained how it WONT help the community,

• 16. Re: Any Flex Developers Out there looking to Exand The Community
                                        thebouv Level 2

Good try Jeffry.  This thread has way too much back and forth that's going no where .. and far too many commas.  I suggest we back away quietly. 

• 17. Re: Any Flex Developers Out there looking to Exand The Community
                                          Michael Borbor Level 4

IMHO helping the community means educating others, sharing your knowledge,

and so on. FlexDen helps developers make money, but how does that help the

Flex community and general and not only one developer is the question? I

still haven't seen your answered.

And read this too

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/414764

• 18. Re: Any Flex Developers Out there looking to Exand The Community
                                            JeffryHouser Level 4

Please feel free to complain about me to any of the powers that be if you think I am unworthy of the community expert title.

As TheBouv suggested, I'm going to step away now.

• 19. Re: Any Flex Developers Out there looking to Exand The Community
                                              webtechhosting Level 1

Thanks Guys,

I guess we learned quite a bit about what helping the community really means today.

I still dont think anyone read the Blog Post Dan Orlando Made about the service,

Because he makes it very clear how it will help the community,learn,share and grow,as did I.

I do not appreciate You guys teaming up on me,in a negative fashion,as You have.

I have read the Forum Policies,and Im not aware of going against any policies,I guess I was trying to keep a positive outlook throughout the forum thread.

But i dont feel very welcomed here,being a newbie and all.

Isnt it supposed to be a positive experience here?

all I have gotten is negative comments,so far..........

not one thing positive...

SMH

• 20. Re: Any Flex Developers Out there looking to Exand The Community
                                                Michael Borbor Level 4

Is there a free component in FlexDen?

• 21. Re: Any Flex Developers Out there looking to Exand The Community
                                                  webtechhosting Level 1

Well ,there isnt a free component.

But for less than the price of a beer You can get one.

I guess helping others should definitely be free,so If You have a blog or something,and You want to give out Your source code,to help others,

Than thats a great way to do so.

But as You know,

The economy is really hard to deal with ,and people are looking to make a living as flex developers.

I guess it shouldnt be a "ONE WAY STREET".

Developer is willing to put up Their application source ,to help us along with our projects,and we should return the favor to our fellow developers by helping them as well.

its the same scenario as the "buy me a beer" type of thing,

One hand washes the other,

You help me,Ill help you,and we are both happy at the end of the day.

I dont know one person,that sits around helping people all day for free.

how could they survive,and afford to feed thier youngsters but simply helping everyone for "FREE"?

I guess there is a time to help others,and there is a time to make money.

I see the service as a way to do BOTH.

• 22. Re: Any Flex Developers Out there looking to Exand The Community
                                                    thebouv Level 2

I think you just explained it yourself.  The site is there to make money (that's cool).  It helps Flex developers sell their components (that's cool).

However, none of that has anything to do with helping the community.  Don't call it what it isn't.

You plugged a commercial website that you have some affiliation with.  That's all you did.  Time to move on really.

You do say above that you don't own the site, but just a guess from your handle here, you do have something to do with it right?

I mean, webtechhost is the admin, technical and registrant of the domain flashden.net.

Could just be coincidence I suppose.

Regardless, good luck with your website, just don't try to pass it off as a community site. 

• 23. Re: Any Flex Developers Out there looking to Exand The Community
                                                      webtechhosting Level 1

Actually,

FlexDen is One of My Clients.(Hosting,and Development)

and I am a Flex Developer Myself,so I am also a Member of the service.

So yes,

I am involved in some way.

I totally see what You guys are saying.

I guess the word "Community" was the focus of this whole thread,

lol

Me personally would rather,see something in return for my efforts,

I do still like to help others for free though.

So I will see what I can do by helping someone here in the Adobe Fourms.

I appreciate all the clarification

Thanks