4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2009 1:35 PM by the_wine_snob

INDEXING

jerrymac50 Level 1

Why is it recommended you turn off indexing on vista to get better performance with PE7? Seems like it slows down normal performance?

• 1. Re: INDEXING
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, in the old days (like five years ago) computer performance was so borderline for video editing that you used to have to streamline it as much as possible. There was even a program called EndItAll that would turn off all your background processes -- because if you didn't do that you wouldn't have enough power to capture!

Even a small hiccup was enough to interrupt a process like capturing. Indexing was just such a hiccup.

But nowadays, most computers are so fast you can almost capture video and cruise the internet at the same time! So turning off Indexing isn't such a big deal anymore.

Then Vista came along and, in its attempt to look cool and add a bunch of features, it started bogging down the hardware -- so you, once again, had to turn off the extras, like Indexing, the Aero interface, the program dock and the sidebar, in order to get decent performance.

But the hardware is starting to catch up again with all the Vista junk. Pretty soon -- like when quad core processors become standard -- you won't have to worry about turning off those extras either.

But, of course, by then we'll be using Windows 7, which apparently isn't full of nearly so much bloatware...

• 2. Re: INDEXING
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Not sure that I would agree with you on this one. First, Windows Indexing goes through each file, to locate all data on those files. For DOC's, and the like, this is not a big deal. For media files, especially ones that can be changed, this is a resource hog. Also, while doing the indexing, Windows Indexing locks the files, so other programs cannot use them. Think about the Rendering files, and similar. These get changed on a very frequent basis. This especially gets in the way during Transcoding and burning to DVD. Again, large files are locked until they are indexed fully.

On a dual-Xeon Duo-core workstation, with a half-dozen monster HDD's and a separate SATA II controller, I see a noticable slowdown, when it's on. On a marginal system, and the vast majority of computers used for NLE work are "marginal," compared to my workstation, it gets in the way.

The only benefit from Windows Indexing is for faster searches. Still, with my system, an unindexed Search is still blazingly fast, so there is nothing that would suggest that I turn it back on. Note: one must turn it OFF for all HDD's and all folder on a HDD.

I feel the same way about running programs, and Processes, that are not really needed. This is why others will run out of resources, where most, with well-tuned systems, will not. I've done 16 hr. Projects (all DV-AVI Type II files) with up to 12 Video Tracks and up to 28 Audio Tracks, with not one "Out of Resources," error message. Others get these with tiny Projects all of the time.

If one only does very small Projects, with just a few other programs running, they might get by. Unfortunately, if the Project grows at all, then they are in trouble.

Maybe it's what I do with my workstation, but I am a firm believer in "lean and mean." With over 200 major Projects, I've never had one out of memory error. Now, during many of these, I also have PS, Encore, AfterEffects, and maybe Illustrator, plus a word processing program running at the same time, for separate elements. Still, no Instant Messaging, no e-mail, no Web browsing - nothing extraneous during editing.

Hunt

• 3. Re: INDEXING
              Ed.Macke Level 3

I routinely turn off Windows indexing on XP. While indexing never seemed to use more than a couple of percent of CPU, it would occasionally monopolize disk throughput to the point that nothing else could read or write from the disk. Remember, it's not CPU that's the bottleneck in a computer, it's disk I/O which is why swapping is such a system killer even though it uses relatively little CPU power.

For what it's worth, I now use a freeware product called "Search Everything" from voidtools.com and haven't seen any of the issues associated with Windows indexing. Although the freeware product can't do text searches (e.g. show me .doc files that contain "adobe").

While we're on the subject, my security tool of choice is Webroot's SpySweeper. One odd thing I've noticed is that when I copy a bunch of files, COPY performance seems to be order of magnitudes slower. Windows may say something like "180 minutes remaining..." and if I shut down SpySweeper all of a sudden it's like a floodgate opened and all of sudden it's "2 minutes remaining..."... and done.

I mention this because my theory is that it's the write process that's being hampered, not the read process, so I wonder if render times, DVD creation times, etc. might be affected. It's a problem I've noticed for some time, even contacted Webroot's tech support about (with no response) but haven't had time to narrow down.

Just wondering aloud how much AV programs affect render times. If SpySweeper affects normal write operations like it does COPY operations, the answer could be: a lot.

I kind of agree with Hunt.

There seem to be some programs that don't really affect NLE, but others seem to be trouble-prone. For me, indexing and AV seem to be the big two, with browsing close behind. It seems like most of the time you don't have a problem, but when you *do* have a problem it's usually a system killer.

Just my 2¢...

• 4. Re: INDEXING
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

I observe similar with both SpySweeper (do not use their AV module) and also StopZilla. They seem to do some file processing on their own, while trying to keep one's computer safe. For NLE work, I turn them OFF, for each session. Even though I am behind a hardware firewall, I also do not do any Web browsing, while editing. If I need to go and get info, credit data, etc., I'll just use another machine.

Again, I can run a ton of Adobe programs at the same time, but do eliminate all unnecessary programs and Processes, when editing - even on the Workstation. I want as close to 100% of my resources, as I can get, going to my necessary programs, especially with large Projects.

Hunt