9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2009 6:47 AM by Harm Millaard

Trimming Clips Advice

Jhvegas Level 1

Hello - I've searched extensively, and not found my answer, forgive me if it's been covered before.

I've been on Premiere for about 6 years, and honestly have never had need to use the clip trimming function. 90% of my work is compilation-style music videos. I've always captured tiny (3-10 second) clips by the thousands and compiled them, so never really a need for trimming.

Lately, as tech changes, instead of my contributors sending me tapes from which i capture my 'little clips' i'm getting avi files that are anywhere from 10 minutes to two hours long. My editing is still the same (fast moving music videos with short clips) but my sources are changing.

My question is this: I've noticed that i can load several hundred short clips into a CS4 project and experience no performance problems. However, when i start using these huge files, user interface becomes sluggish. When i drag a 3 second clip from a much larger file onto the timeline, i'll experience a significant delay before i can move on. Within the same project, if i drag a clip from a short file, there's no noticeable delay.

I may use the same source file 20 or 30 times on the timeline, yet is there a simple way to 'trim' those little timeline 'clips' down to improve performance? It seems that these 30 references to a 2GB file are what's causing the slowdown - maybe I'm imagining it.

Thanks a million in advance...

Jonathan

• 1. Re: Trimming Clips Advice
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Perhaps look into using the Project Manager.

• 2. Re: Trimming Clips Advice
            don solomon Level 1

I have a similar problem  Clients are loading me down with huge clips or whole tapes, and sometimes I need a lot of very short, selected clips.

I never use PPro for that.  I use Solveig MM Video Splitter, cut up the asset into the little clips I need, batch them into PPro, problem solved.

No loss of quality,  Timeline cutting and batch capability--very fast and beats the hell out of cutting little clips in PPro.

• 3. Re: Trimming Clips Advice
              Jhvegas Level 1

Don,

I searched the solveig info page, but couldn't determine.... does that software have any sort of 'scene detect' feature? Or is there any software you're aware of that does? It would be a dream to have clips split automatically at the scene cuts.

Thanks a million,

Jonathan

• 4. Re: Trimming Clips Advice
                Harm Millaard Level 7

For HDV you can use HDVSplit. It splits the large file into smaller ones using scene detection.

• 5. Re: Trimming Clips Advice
                  don solomon Level 1

Hi,

No it does not scene detect. I have found that scene detect software ( dv capture software, really) is often more trouble than it is worth.  If I'm the shooter, then it will work well, that is if it scene detects based on timestamp stop/start.  I shoot with that in mind.   However, in my case, often I am not the shooter and very seldom do I get scene detection where it is sufficiently coincidental with my editing requirements.  I find it far easier to scrub the Solveig timeline to make the cuts and dump the unusable footage.

Have you looked at Scenalyzer Live?  It will capture and cut clips based on scene detection, including optical, index footage, and more. That is, if you get tapes to work with. But the format is limited--it won't do mpeg 2, for example.  I believe it only writes type  1 and 2 dv avi.  It is, however, an excellent capture program.  With dv, I often use it's tape indexing, which lets me review an entire tape at fast speed in 4-5 minutes, giving me a good indication of the footage content in general. I then know better what to look for when I scrub the Solveig timeline.

I haven't used HDVsplit.  The last time I looked at it it was in beta and did not appear to me to be developed enough to be much faster than NLE workflow.  However, that may have changed.

I might add that I have tried, at one time or another, every avi and mpeg spliitter out there--well, everyone I could find, anyway.  And none were as effective as Solveig.

I really do not know of any program that will fulfill the requirement of scene detection on avi footage.  If you find one, report back.  I'd be interested in trying it myself.

• 6. Re: Trimming Clips Advice
                    Jhvegas Level 1

Great,

Thanks for all the great info - i've got something to chew on now.

BTW, Harm, when I go visit home (the US) in July, I'm all set to outfit a new system based on your great guides. Thanks!

-Jonathan

Bangalore, India

• 7. Re: Trimming Clips Advice
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

If you get tapes, they are either DV and PR supports scene detection for DV, or they are HDV, in which case Scenalyzer does not work, but HDVSplit does. That is why I left out the Scenalyzer option. In the past, when there were a lot of problems with capturing HDV with PR, the only sensible approach to avoid out-of-sync issues was using HDVSplit and IMO is still the preferred way of capturing because of the scene detection, even on clips that have been captured already with PR. Besides, it is free as well. Adobe could take that as an example to make the next upgrade (CS5) free as well.

No it does not scene detect. I have found that scene detect software ( dv capture software, really) is often more trouble than it is worth

Well, HDVSplit does and it works without any problems on HDV material. I have used it for a long time and never encountered a problem, something that can not be said about PR.

• 8. Re: Trimming Clips Advice
                        don solomon Level 1

Right, Scenalyzer is , as I said, limited.  Johnathon's problem, as he saw it, was having to load up big files in Pr bogging it down to to use hundreds of tiny clips.  So, while Pr will scene detect dv, that won't change anything with respect to the problem, if he's editing dv.  And, in my case, there is the workflow time problem.  I find it much faster to cut before I import, and that keeps the fat off of Pr's heart muscle, so to speak.

Will HDV split also do dv?  It appears that development of it has stopped.  I guess the same can be said of Scenalyzer, as well.  I have been hoping it would soon do hdv.

• 9. Re: Trimming Clips Advice
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Basically both programs have the same function. Capture with scene detection. Scenalyzer for DV, HDVSplit for HDV material. The one distinguishing feature of HDVSplit is that is also allows scene detection on material that was already captured. This works much faster than normal capturing.

Say you have this one hour HDV clip, which took you an hour to capture and you decide that splitting this large clip into multiple smaller clips, based on scene detection is much better, you just feed this file to HDVSplit and in a fraction of the one hour capture time, it splits your file into multiple scene detected smaller clips.

I agree, development appears to have stopped with both programs, but to be honest, what is there to develop. Both programs do what they intended to do flawlessly and the future of tape based capture does look bleak.