32 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2009 9:31 PM by Eddie Lotter

Video PLays for 1 day then stops again with Nvidia 8800

rgshollow

I have windows 7 Running with 4 gigs of ram and a core duo processor.  I did have a Nvidia 9600 and after researching Adobes Fully Supported Cards I chose the Geforce 8800 which is Fully supported.  So I installed this massive card into my machine and the video worked well! I almost did a little dance of joy.  That was Friday.  Now Sunday its back to now playing any video at all again.  It plays the sound but no video. The program window and source window both have this problem.  Why would it work fine one day the not the next?  I'm very very frustrated with this program at this point.  Does anyone have any advice on what to do next?

• 1. Re: Video PLays for 1 day then stops again with Nvidia 8800
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

Please provide these details to help us help you.

Cheers
          Eddie

• 2. Re: Video PLays for 1 day then stops again with Nvidia 8800
            rgshollow Level 1

I've collected all the info requested. I'm a graphic designer thats starting to get into video so this is all new to me still.

The codecs used in your source clips (use the FREE GSpot or MediaInfo to determine the codec)

I found errors when loading a video i've been editing into Gspot and did System > List Codecs and received errors.  I've listed them at the very end.  I'm new to this video stuff so I'm not sure what it means or if its even a error.

Premiere Pro

CS4 version 4.1.0

Operating System

Windows 7 32 Bit

CPU type and speed

Pentium D CPU 3GHz

Amount of memory (RAM)

4GB (3.25 usable)

Video card

GeForce 8800 GTS-512
            Driver version 185.85

Number of monitors (displays) in use

Audio card

1. Creative
            2. Audigy 2
            3. Driver version 5.12.1.2013

Each hard drive's capacity and space remainin

C: 488 GB Capacity - 434 GB free

F: 443 GB Capacity - 347 Free

H: 488 GB Capacity - 456 GB Free

I: 443 GB Capacity - 402 GB Free

Disk setup (partitions used, raid configuration, what is where for OS/projects/media/scratch/audio)

2 physical hard drives with 2 partitions each - All set to Simple and Basic

H is my main video drive where all vids are saved.  I use F and I as scratch discs and have tried C as well. Same results

Hardware capture device

This is working fine.  No problems pulling video from my HDV camera.

Comprehensive list of third-party plug-ins you installed.

no 3rd party plugins at all

Exact text of any error messages

No error. It just will not show video. I can scrub the time line and see the video but it will not play when I press play.  Sound can be heard but no video.  goes for project monitor and clip monitor.

I had a 9600 Geforce card then after coming here and finding out that the card was the most likely culprit I replaced it with a 8800 GTS which according to Adobe is what they fully supprt. It fixed the problem for the first day I tried it.  I was able to view video playing smoothly in both video windows.  Then a day later it stopped and went back to doing the same thing it did before which is not play any video at all.  Why would it work breifly then stop?

Errors

DSH    Video    "MainConcept (Adobe2) H.264/AVC Decoder"    {FF890B41-A4C5-4B19-87CF-65D86EC12F1C}    0x00600000    ** File Missing: "F:\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2dsh264.ax"

DSH    FmtTag: 0x00ff        "MainConcept (Adobe2) AAC Decoder"    {214CD0D1-FC06-41B1-8BB8-84DA4CFB17D9}    0x00600000    ** File Missing: "F:\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2daac.ax"

DSH    MPEG1Packet    "MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Audio Decoder"    {25AD5730-4DE0-4CF8-952A-2AEF53AC4321}    0x005fffff    ** File Missing: "F:\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2mcdsmpeg.ax"

DSH    MPEG1Packet    "MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Video Decoder"    {25AD5740-4DE0-4CF8-952A-2AEF53AC4321}    0x005fffff    ** File Missing: "F:\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2mcdsmpeg.ax"
            DSH    MPEG1Packet    "MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Video Decoder"    {25AD5740-4DE0-4CF8-952A-2AEF53AC4321}    0x005fffff    ** File Missing: "F:\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2mcdsmpeg.ax"
            DSH    YV12    "MainConcept (Adobe2) H.264 Encoder"    {FF890B51-A4C5-4B19-87CF-65D86EC12F1C}    0x00200000    ** File Missing: "F:\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2esh264.ax"
            DSH    Video    "MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Encoder"    {25AD5750-4DE0-4CF8-952A-2AEF53AC4321}    0x00200000    ** File Missing: "F:\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2mcesmpeg.ax"
            DSH    RGB24    "MainConcept (Adobe2) H.264/AVC Video Encoder"    {FF890B61-A4C5-4B19-87CF-65D86EC12F1C}    0x00200000    ** File Missing: "F:\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2evh264.ax"
            DSH    RGB24    "MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Video Encoder"    {25AD5760-4DE0-4CF8-952A-2AEF53AC4321}    0x00200000    ** File Missing: "F:\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2mcevmpeg.ax"
            DSH    PCM    "MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Audio Encoder"    {25AD5770-4DE0-4CF8-952A-2AEF53AC4321}    0x00200000    ** File Missing: "F:\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2mceampeg.ax"
            DSH    RGB24    "MainConcept (Adobe2) H.264/AVC Video Encoder"    {FF890B61-A4C5-4B19-87CF-65D86EC12F1C}    0x00200000    ** File Missing: "F:\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2evh264.ax"
            DSH    RGB24    "MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Video Encoder"    {25AD5760-4DE0-4CF8-952A-2AEF53AC4321}    0x00200000    ** File Missing: "F:\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2mcevmpeg.ax"
            DSH    PCM    "MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Audio Encoder"    {25AD5770-4DE0-4CF8-952A-2AEF53AC4321}    0x00200000    ** File Missing: "F:\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2mceampeg.ax"
            DSH    PCM    "MainConcept (Adobe2) AAC Encoder"    {866DFE40-5582-4FA6-B4BC-665781A007E6}    0x00100000    ** File Missing: "F:\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2eaac.ax"

• 3. Re: Video PLays for 1 day then stops again with Nvidia 8800
              Harm Millaard Level 7

First of all, you have Pentium D, which is a single core CPU with hyper threading, not a Core2Duo.

What source material from what VIDEO camera are you using with which sequence settings?

• 4. Re: Video PLays for 1 day then stops again with Nvidia 8800
                rgshollow Level 1

source material is 1080i video from a canon HV30 Vixia.  However I've tried standard video from the classroom in a book lessons for Premiere Pro CS4 and they won't play either so I don't think its a problem with the videos themselves.

• 5. Re: Video PLays for 1 day then stops again with Nvidia 8800
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Often these kind of problems are caused by incorrect camera settings. Consult the camera manual for the correct settings.

• 6. Re: Video PLays for 1 day then stops again with Nvidia 8800
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

It plays the sound but no video.

What exactly do you see?  Black screen, garbled mess, first frame only?

Also, is the camera connected when trying to edit?

• 7. Re: Video PLays for 1 day then stops again with Nvidia 8800
                      rgshollow Level 1

Again I've tried multiple videos from multiple sources. The program Monitor will show me video "images" not playback, when I scrub the timeline. However when I press play it will show the last frame it stopped on and the sound will play but no video plays.  Then when I press stop it will show the frame where it would have stopped had it played.  I hope that makes sense.  Basically it shows the frams when I click different points in the time line and I can even see the video frames when I've scrubbed the timeline however when I press play it doesn't do anything, just shows the last frame I stopped on.  When I press stop it shows the frame it stopped on had it played.  Again I can hear the sound from the video and I've tried AVI's Mpegs and items from my camera and items from Adobe's Classroom in a book and still nothing.  The strangest part is this all worked on Friday when I originally received my GeForce 8800 video card.  When I pressed play teh video played smoothly with the sound.  By Sunday the video was back to not playing again.  I just don't understand what the deal is with it.  It it helps I can probably get video of the screen to show everyone.

• 8. Re: Video PLays for 1 day then stops again with Nvidia 8800
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Let's summarize:

1. On Friday it worked.

2. On Saturday....

3. On Sunday it dit not work.

So what happened on Saturday? (to put it bluntly, I'm not interested to know what you bought at the grocer, just what you did with your PC)

• 9. Re: Video PLays for 1 day then stops again with Nvidia 8800
                          rgshollow Level 1

Nothing the machine was off From Friday night to Sunday evening when I started it back up to work.  Nothing was installed.

• 10. Re: Video PLays for 1 day then stops again with Nvidia 8800
                            rgshollow Level 1

Ok it keeps getting weirder.  I just used the restore utility to go back to Friday when I installed the card.  It restarted and reinstalled the Nvidia drivers and voila! the video works smoothly again.  I have no idea why.  I haven't restarted yet and I'm a little afraid to but I'll let everyone know what happens when I do:) Thanks!

• 11. Re: Video PLays for 1 day then stops again with Nvidia 8800
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

The common denominator with all these weird, hard to replicate problems seems to be caused by the overly protective nature of Vista, that apparently sometimes causes installation of software, whether it is drivers, as in your case, or as I have experienced with AME, and yesterday with someone else with Soundbooth, to go astray.

The problem is of course to find the right program that was not installed correctly and reinstall it. That often solves these strange problems. Good that you found the culprit, but I would be interested to know if you can reboot and be assured that the problem stays away.

• 12. Re: Video PLays for 1 day then stops again with Nvidia 8800
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

It seems some folks are having similar issues when the camera is connected for external previewing purposes.  Things work fine when it's not.  Does that apply here?

• 13. Re: Video PLays for 1 day then stops again with Nvidia 8800
                                  rgshollow Level 1

Ok I've since restarted I'm right back where I was.  So here's what's happening: I used the restore feature in Windows to go back to the day I installed the video card originally which made me reinstall the drivers again upon restoring and restarting.  Then the video playback in both the Program monitor and Source monitor was smooth and ran well.  Now its back not showing any moving video at all but playing sound and moving forward in the timeline but no video showing on the screen.  When I press stop it then shows the frame I stopped on in the program window.  So at this point I know its somehting to do with the video card or the drivers, but I can't constantly reinstall the drivers everytime I want to use premiere.  I feel like I've spent a lot of money to fix the problem and it hasn't helped a bit.  Its very frustrating.

Anyone have any suggestions at this point or should I just pack it up and forget it?

• 14. Re: Video PLays for 1 day then stops again with Nvidia 8800
                                    rgshollow Level 1

I don't have any external cameras or video equipment connected to my machine at all.  I only hook up my camera when I'm capturing video from it.

• 15. Re: Video PLays for 1 day then stops again with Nvidia 8800
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Anyone have any suggestions at this point

Try a new card.  I'm partial to ATI myself.

• 16. Re: Video PLays for 1 day then stops again with Nvidia 8800
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Simple HDV footage from the Canon HV30 should not cause problems, neither should the nVidia 8800 with recent drivers. Yet there are still problems. OK, you CPU is not the latest or the fastest, but it should at least give you slow previews. So my conclusion is that something else is preventing you to work effectively. Look at the second part of this link and post Process Explorer and DXDIAG info at outlined:

If you need help quickly...Guideline for posting an effective question

• 17. Re: Video PLays for 1 day then stops again with Nvidia 8800
                                          rgshollow Level 1

I seem to be having problems getting these files to attach so I'm putting them online

The DXDiag.txt I had to upload to http://tenthirtyone.net/ms/DxDiag.txt

ANd the NFO file I uploaded to http://tenthirtyone.net/ms/mysystem.nfo

You may need to right click and save those.

Thanks for yoru continuing help!

• 18. Re: Video PLays for 1 day then stops again with Nvidia 8800
                                            rgshollow Level 1

Here are the images of the Process and Speed fan programs

• 19. Re: Video PLays for 1 day then stops again with Nvidia 8800
                                              Harm Millaard Level 7

When they get out of the queue I'll have a look and post back.

• 21. Re: Video PLays for 1 day then stops again with Nvidia 8800
                                                Harm Millaard Level 7

The Process Explorer screenshot is (with my eyesight at my old age) unfortunately rather small, but apart from iTunes (God, I hate that program!) does not yet show anything seriously wrong. When your original file gets out of the queue, I'll have a closer look.

Your GPU temperature, from the screenshot from Speedfan, is bothersome. 68 degrees is pretty high. It may mean that under load it will reach temperature levels that the card can not sustain for long periods, This will significantly reduce the lifespan of your video card and will lead to instabilities. For comparison, my overclocked ATI HD 4870 (800 Mhz GPU, 1020 Memory) runs at around 48 degrees idle and 60 degrees under heavy load with ambient temperatures of 23 to 24 degrees. Your system is probably a couple  of years old (1-3). Capacitor aging is not yet troublesome, but showing it's first signs of age.

I'll still have to look at the other data (your DXDIAG.TXT is coming?) but my initial feeling is that your video card (not the drivers) is getting a bit too hot for stable operation and may be the root of your problems. Just hang on for my further comments. I can't do anything more at the moment.

• 22. Re: Video PLays for 1 day then stops again with Nvidia 8800
                                                  Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Why did you change cards?  And do I read you right that you downgraded from a 9600 to an 8800?

• 23. Re: Video PLays for 1 day then stops again with Nvidia 8800
                                                    rgshollow Level 1

Thanks for looking at it all for me.   I'll look forward to your further comments.

I changed the card because my 9600 wasn't working at all no matter what I did and according to Adobe its not supported. So I bought the Geforece 8800 because it is supported fully by Adobe PRoducts

• 24. Re: Video PLays for 1 day then stops again with Nvidia 8800

I am running an 8800GT but with a earlier version of the driver, it is 182.46.  That was current when I tried a FX1700 in my editing system a while back.  (I got terrible disk performance with the FX1700 hogging the PCIe bus).  But I have not tried Windows 7yet--I can run either Win XP Pro or Vista 64.  I have no idea if it might help but you might see if you can find an earilier version and try it.  Unfortunately it is to big to attach.

Some time ago I remember strange things happening with some audio cards.  You migh just try removing it and the drivers as a last effort to debug your problem.  I just go with the motherboard audio.

• 25. Re: Video PLays for 1 day then stops again with Nvidia 8800
                                                        joshtownsend Level 2

Please tell me you've tried installing older Nvidia drivers.

I'd bet money that an older driver would fix this problem.

That and possibility that Win 7 doesn't work well with a single core or Premiere.

Hell, minimum CPU specs are at least core duo with quad core and a 64 bit OS. I bet that might be a problem. Besides you could get a qaud core and a motherboard for a round $200 dollars. You really should upgrade even if you rollback your video card drivers and get it too work.

• 26. Re: Video PLays for 1 day then stops again with Nvidia 8800
                                                          rgshollow Level 1

Tried older drivers and removing the audigy card but no go.  AGain I think I need to say that when I installed this card fresh for the first time it did work.  Then When I used system restore to go back to when I installed the card the video was perfectly smooth and ran fine until I restarted and it went back to the same problem.  It it had never worked this whole time then I would agree that my equipment is faulty but since it has worked I know there has to be some other cause for it.

• 27. Re: Video PLays for 1 day then stops again with Nvidia 8800

I am wondering if Microsoft (in Windows 7) again knows better than we do and is doing something like automatically changing the drivers or something else from your restored version to the problem version when you restart your system.  Since you have an older system evidenced by the Pentium D, maybe there is a compatibility problem with Windows 7 and or the drivers.  It might require that you going back to an earlier OS. Have you tried System Restore a second time?

I know this will not help you but, I have a removable boot drive and when I can afford to buy another VelociRaptor 150 GB drive will load my copy of Windows 7 RC for my own info and for benchmarking versus Win XP and Vista 64

• 28. Re: Video PLays for 1 day then stops again with Nvidia 8800
                                                              rgshollow Level 1

At this point I'm going to just give up on this and try either a different OS or another PC.  I've spen 2 weeks trying to figure it out.  When the Drivers for the video are installed fresh, it all works perfectly and video plays within Premiere smoothly.  Then when I restart it goes back to not playing again.  I'm going to chalk this one up to being a windows 7 problem.  Thanks so much for all your help with this!

• 29. Re: Video PLays for 1 day then stops again with Nvidia 8800
                                                                Andrey V Level 2

I have Nvidea 8800 on my system running Vista 64bit. Quad core CPU and 8gb of ram and have no problem with this card playing any kind of video.

• 30. Re: Video PLays for 1 day then stops again with Nvidia 8800
                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I would look at your Windows updater. Do not know if there are updates for Win7 RC, but would assume so.

When something works one day, but not the next, then something has changed - just what Harm is saying.

With the case of Windows updating (most often of automatic by default) things are uploaded in the background and installed without any interaction, or even awareness on the part of the user. Two of the first things often "broken" by these will be Audio drivers and Video drivers. They are often rendered totally obsolete and one never know it, until they attempt to use something that way "broken" in the driver by the OS update.

Since a Restore likely went back to before something was updated, I'd look there first. Though I do update my OS constantly, I also have it set to manually with a reminder pop-up. Saves me a lot of grief, as I know what was installed, and exactly when. Then, if needed, I'll roll-back with a Restore Point. I also create a manual Restore Point, before I let Windows update. It is supposed to create one, but I've had a few flaky Restore Points in the past, so I go with redundency there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 31. Re: Video PLays for 1 day then stops again with Nvidia 8800
                                                                    kratuch

Hey dude,

Maybe it is too late, but... I had a problem with Nividia 8800 since the initial installation. It was crashing and crashing on me. Then coincidently I have found out that my color settings for a Monitor is set to 16 bit. When I changed it to 32 bit everything was solved. I am talking about Control Panel - Display Properties – Settings – Color Quality

• 32. Re: Video PLays for 1 day then stops again with Nvidia 8800
                                                                      Eddie Lotter Level 4

Thanks for posting the information.

That info is also in the link provided in reply #1, but good info is worth repeating.

If the OP followed the instructions in the link then unfortunately it did not help him.

Cheers
                                                                      Eddie