8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2009 11:47 AM by Harm Millaard

panning on a text

Tomchook Level 1

Hello,

I have a brochure that I would like to incorporate into my video. Of course that I can't put all the text inside the video because it would be unreadable, but I was thinking of putting just the main sentences, and having the camera panning on the text (while other sentences above and below it are blurred or darkened).

The problem is that I cannot film it, because I don't have the brochure with me, only the PDF file. Is it possible to create this effect with Premiere? If yes, how to do it?

I hope you could understand me.. My English is not perfect..

Thank you in advance,

Tom K.

• 1. Re: panning on a text
          Harm Millaard Level 7

PDF is not supported. What you can do is make a screenshot from Acrobat, import and put on the timeline. Place a copy above it on the next higher track. To this track apply a gaussian blur and a crop effect to achieve this:

08-06-2009 12-26-08.jpg

Maybe you need more copies on higher tracks to adjust your highlighting.

• 2. Re: panning on a text
            Jim_Simon Level 8

You could also print the PDF and shoot that with a camera.

• 3. Re: panning on a text
              Tomchook Level 1

Thank you for the thorough explenation, but that's not exactly what I had in mind. I'll try to describe it better:

Imagine that the camera is in extreme close-up on the brochure, following the text from left to right. Is it possible to create such an effect in Premiere or do I actually have to make this shooting?.. (I would transform the PDF into an image)

Thank you!

• 4. Re: panning on a text
                Eddie Lotter Level 4

(I would transform the PDF into an image)

Yes, you can pan an image across the frame.

You will also find links to many free tutorials in the PremiereProPedia that will quickly show you how things are done in Premiere Pro.

Cheers
                Eddie

• 5. Re: panning on a text
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Do you need to have the exact design of the brochure, or is the text all that is really important? If it's just the text, Acrobat Reader gives you the capability of saving the text from a PDF to a TXT file, which you could then use to create titles. Open the PDF in Reader, and select File > Save As Text, and then select a file location. You can copy and paste the text in the file into the PPro Titler as needed.

Another option, if you have Photoshop, is to simply open the PDF in Photoshop and export/save the pages as PPro-compatible image files, like TIFF. Since the PDF is (mostly) vector, you can set your image size high enough that you can easily pan around the graphic file and maintain high quality. I use this approach quite often.

• 6. Re: panning on a text
                    Tomchook Level 1

The text is not a problem because I have the original file (from Illustrator). I created a picture in photoshop of how I would like it to be. Untitled-1.jpg

I would like that the camera would scroll (pan) to the right, along with the text. Is it possible to make it in Premiere?

• 7. Re: panning on a text
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Animate the Anchor Point property of the image; that will simulate what the "camera" is looking at.

• 8. Re: panning on a text
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

If the dimensions of the text are large enough, you can easily create a pan by using the motion tool.