1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 8, 2009 10:07 AM by Mylenium

After Effects CS3  - Rendering --Use an External Drive not C: Drive

Video100 Level 1

Newbie AE Question

1. Saving Files:

Is it best to save all AE files to an External Hard Drive in other words all output files MPEG--AVI--Quicktime to a Media Drive rather than the C: Drive?

2. Rendering

How can I make AE Default to save as a MPEG or Quicktime Movie File as oppossed to always Defaulting to a Windows AVI file for output?

3. CS4 AE

Any huge improvement that I should def upgrade to CS4 AE over CS3?

Thanks so much for all your help

• 1. Re: After Effects CS3  - Rendering --Use an External Drive not C: Drive
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Is it best to save all AE files to an External Hard Drive in other words all output files MPEG--AVI--Quicktime to a Media Drive rather than the C: Drive?

The decisive factor is file I/O (input-output) performance. Since the C: drive is your system drive, it usually is already rather busy, so there will be a performance hit. However, todays harddrives are reasonably fast, so per se there's no argument against it. External drives usually only make sense, if they are FireWire or eSATA. USB 2.0 in theory is also fast enough, but other devices hooked on the same bus/ channel/ controller (printers, scanners etc.) may enforce slower data transfer modes, so your mileage may vary.

How can I make AE Default to save as a MPEG or Quicktime Movie File as oppossed to always Defaulting to a Windows AVI file for output?

Check the Templates section in your Edit menu. Create suitable Render Settings and Output Module settings. Once you have done so, you can assign them as new defaults, like e.g. a JPEG for stills instead of PSD.

Any huge improvement that I should def upgrade to CS4 AE over CS3?

Better multiprocessing, support for more file formats (including AVCHD), better DynamicLink integration, corrected aspect ratio handling, generally better stability. However, if your system is not MP suitable or you don't work with any of the newer formats, I see no urgent need to upgrade, especially since you are just starting out.

Mylenium