6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2012 4:05 AM by mikizil

Batch importing eps equations into Indesign

Thangaraj Mohan

Hi, I am Thangaraj Mohan, and I am working as an layout artist. Now I am working on a maths book which has tons of equations in it. The whole text keyed in MS word and equations typed inside the MSword using Mathtype equation editor. I exported all equation from word to eps format using mathtype equation exporter and mathtype replaces all equations with its name, ie. <<equ001>>. Now what i need is to importe the equations into indesign as a batch.

• 1. Re: Batch importing eps equations into Indesign
          lindaw2396 Level 1

I would like to see an answer to this, too! I've been doing this kind of work for over 30 years and have kept up with technology along the way. The idea that we STILL have to MANUALLY place these MATH EQUATIONS (created using MathType) in our projects one-at-a-time is outrageous to me, not to mention tedious and time-consuming. And I've come upon another problem with equations. A Microsoft Word document being produced using Microsoft Equation 3.0 - definitely no automation here, not even to change font or size (unlike MathType which does that automatically along with exporting and replacing with filename in text). Now I have placed Word files into Adobe InDesign CS4 WITHOUT exporting the equations and they come into the file as EPS files with "image" names. This is okay for printing (still testing this) BUT I want to produce an ebook and have the equations READABLE. Hopefully someone with more experience than I will participate in this discussion as I am not finding anything anywhere. Today I came across a Word document with an equation, that when I double-clicked on it, I got the message that I needed to have Msxml2 installed. Yikes! My solution? Send the Word document back to the creator and have all the equations rekeyed using MathType!!

• 2. Re: Batch importing eps equations into Indesign
            Shonkyin Level 3

Hi Thangaraj Mohan,

Change attached script as per your requirement.

Hope it will help you.

Shonky

• 3. Re: Batch importing eps equations into Indesign
              lindaw2396 Level 1

I looked elsewhere in the Adobe Forum (InDesign > InDesign > Discussions) and found this solution that might work for you. It seems we don't have to export the equations! Leave them in the document and do the following (from RodneyA):

1) Open the Word file in Word 2004, not 2008. Use the Mathtype menu commands to convert the equations if necessary, and run the "format equations" command to apply the fonts and sizes you want using a MathType Preferences file that you've set to match your final book.

2) Save the file with the equations in place.

3) Place the file in Indesign. Since the equations are still in the Word file, you don't lose the baseline-shift information, as you do if you export the equations from Word then import them manually into Indesign.

4) Go to the Links palette. Select all of the equations in the list (they'll have .eps suffixes). In the Links palette menu, select Unembed Links. Answer that No, you don't want to link to existing files on disk. Indesign exports all of the equations to new eps files. I usually create a new folder for these.

Now your links should be good. You can control-click on equations to edit them (choose Open with MathType). If you have the MathType Symbol font error, where certain characters vanish from the equations, you can open the files in Illustrator instead and retype the characters there. They'll no longer open in MathType, but they'll print properly. After editing in MathType or (especially) in Illustrator you may need to reset the scale to 100% in each dimension and refit the frame to the object.

I AM TESTING THIS NOW, so far so good, and will come back and post if I encounter any problems. Then I'll try Shonkyin's script if necessary. FINALLY!!!

• 4. Re: Batch importing eps equations into Indesign
                Thangaraj Mohan Level 1

Hi LinMarie you need not rekey the equations typed using equation editor in word, still you can convert them into mathtype... You JUST NEED TO INSTALL THE MS Office Latest Service Pack... this is i am tested with Mathtype 6..

Good luck.

• 5. Re: Batch importing eps equations into Indesign
                  AdobeScripts Level 3

LinMarie Williams wrote:

1) Open the Word file in Word 2004, not 2008. Use the Mathtype menu commands to convert the equations if necessary, and run the "format equations" command to apply the fonts and sizes you want using a MathType Preferences file that you've set to match your final book.

or you can use my macro (for WORD) to place Equations in WORD file as linked - not embeded:

http://www.adobescripts.com/search.php?query=mathtype&action=results

robin

www.adobescripts.com

• 6. Re: Batch importing eps equations into Indesign
                    mikizil

Hello,

If you work on PC, I think I can help you by my system of scripts (MT-Script).

You can read more about it on my site (http://mtscript.ru) or in Scribd publication (http://www.scribd.com/doc/73272275/MT-Script-or-How-to-Work-With-MathType-Equations-in-InD esign).

So, what you can do with my scripts? I think... all you need to prepare your publication very and very quickly.

For example,

• you can paste equations from Word into InDesign (you can work traditionally via exporting equations to Eqn00010.eps... and placing these equations into InDesign publication instead of texts with tags like this <<Eqn00010.eps>> ... but I'm just ready to suppose you new and very simple technick ... simply paste all doc-file WITH equations (like MathType objects) into InDesign and process it by MT-UnembedEqn script ... and that's all);
                    • you can edit equations directly in InDesign as native objects;
                    • you can create new equation in InDesign without Word;
                    • you can format all or some equations at a moment directly in InDesign;
                    • you can find and change in equations;
                    • you can export InDesign publication to RTF with editable MathType equations. Yes! You can do it... It's very simple... one click procedure. The forward and backward conversion Word-InDesign have been perfectly created in MT-Script;
                    • you can test it as full functional system from the second part of Friday till the end of Monday every week;
                    • you can ask me about MT-Script (MathType+InDesign problems as well) just now --> mvlad48@gmail.com

I'm very pleased to help you with MathType equations in InDesign.

Thank you.

1 person found this helpful