7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2009 3:26 AM by AdobeScripts

Batch import of eps equations into indesign

Thangaraj Mohan

Hi, I am Thangaraj Mohan, working as an layout artist. Now I am working on a Math book which has tones of equations in it. The whole text keyed in MS word, and the equations are typed inside using mathtype. I exported all equations using mathtype, mathtype exports all equations and replaces with its file name (ie. <<equ001>>) in MS word.

Now my problem is to how place these equations inside the InDesign document. Please help me with your ideas to import all eps files into InDesign as Batch import.

Thanks a lot.

• 1. Re: Batch import of eps equations into indesign
          AdobeScripts Level 3

hi

you don't need to export Equations as EPS file s- you can jest Copy and Paste or Place your document - all Equations will be imported as embeded graphics - with bad preview - but with Vector contents so they will print fine

if you really need to reimport EPS files - then you need macro to surround Equations with tags which then can be used by script to place EPS files

9.1 a) ###  b) ###  c) ###  d) ###

to:

9.1 a) <EQ1<###>EQ1>  b) <EQ2<###>EQ2>  c) <EQ3<###>EQ3>  d)  <EQ4<###>EQ4>

but this will require that you will have only equations - no other images - or you will need to renumber-rename files

robin

www.adobescripts.co.uk

• 2. Re: Batch import of eps equations into indesign
            Thangaraj Mohan Level 1

Hi Robert-Tkaczyk,

Thanks for your advise,

There's no problem in importing with graphics embeded, but I once import equations embeded then I cant edit it for future corrections, so only i need to export and place it in indesign.

But the tagging idea good, please explain me to create tags and how to import the file with the tags, is it require ASCII tagging? I never tagged a file.

Thankz & Regards

M.Thangaraj

• 3. Re: Batch import of eps equations into indesign
              Dave Saunders Level 4

I can't find the reference material on the Design Science site, but my impression is that they provide a mechanism where you can (in Word) batch export all the equations to a folder (typically, one uses eps format for this), replacing the equations in the text stream with stylized references to the equations.

Thus, after import to InDesign, a script can look for those references and import the equations. The script can go further by reading the baseline information from the eps files and so adjust the equations so they sit appropriately on the local text baseline. Intelligent use of auto-leading for the equations combined with Jump-Object text wrap (you must turn off Skip by Leading for this to work) produces a result that is actually better than the oft-lauded Proportional Leading approach used by PageMaker.

Dave

• 4. Re: Batch import of eps equations into indesign
                MrMathType Level 2

Thanks Dave; you're on the right track. The reference material you're looking for isn't on the website (except in a brief mention on the Features page). It's in the MathType documentation, which is in MathType Help. It's at this path in MathType for Windows:

MathType with Microsoft Office > Office 2007 > MathType's Support for Microsoft Word > Exporting Equations

For versions of Word earlier than Office 2007, replace that part of the path with "Office 2000, 2002, and 2003". For the Mac, this is the path:

MathType with Microsoft Office > Office X and 2004 > Word X and 2004 > Exporting Equations

Note that this command is not available in Office 2008, due to the lack of VBA in that version of Office.

I think this is the process Thangaraj was working through in order to get his EPSs, but the idea of using a script in InDesign as you suggested, is what he needs help on.

Bob

• 5. Re: Batch import of eps equations into indesign
                  AdobeScripts Level 3

hi

if you still need tool for MathType Equations in InDesign, here is my tool:

http://www.adobescripts.com/search.php?query=mathtype&action=results

robin

www.adobescripts.co.uk

• 6. Re: Batch import of eps equations into indesign
                    Thangaraj Mohan Level 1

Hi there,

Thanks for your response, but I already fix this problem by setting my text style with auto leading.

Thangaraj Mohan.

• 7. Re: Batch import of eps equations into indesign
                      AdobeScripts Level 3

Thanks for your response, but I already fix this problem by setting my text style with auto leading.

but setting autoleading don't align Equation's baseline with surrounding Text's baseline ... but in your case, when you only have equation number on right - it's not a big problem

robin

www.adobescripts.co.uk