5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2009 12:19 AM by mack_

drop down box too large for screen

gdmprog1

I have data for a drop down box that is up to 250 digits. This places the drop down box outside the range of the screen. I need to limit the drop down box to 150 digits on the screen but also need to display the extra 100 digits somehow. Is there a way to wrap the information to the next line of the drop down box? Or like text boxes, allow the user to space over the line and see the 100 digits not being displayed?

• 1. Re: drop down box too large for screen
          mack_ Level 3

You can use the title attribute of the option element if I understand

you correctly:

<select>
            <option title="#RepeatString("1234567890", 250)#">#RepeatString("1",
          100)#</option>
          </select>

Mack

• 2. Re: drop down box too large for screen
            gdmprog1 Level 1

I'm not sure you do understand. Let me give you a sample of the list I'm

trying to create. These are insurance classifications.

Air Conditioning Systems or Equipment - installation, servicing or repair -

no sales or storage

Ambulance Service, First Aid or Rescue Squads - Municipal

Mail Order Houses Note: Determine Rate Group and Class Limit by type of

merchandise

Warehouses - Public - Household goods storage but with no storage of

fibers, oils, petroleum products, rags, fireworks, matches or explosives

Marsha Rogers

Grain Dealers Mutual Insurance

www.graindealers.com

(317) 388-4526

mack_                                                    

<forums@adobe.com                                        

>                                                          To

marsha rogers                  

06/08/2009 10:55          <mrogers@graindealers.com>     

AM                                                         cc

Subject

Please respond to         drop down box

clearspace-132821         too large for screen           

100-442716-2-2021                                        

842@mail.forums.a                                        

dobe.com                                                                               

You can use the title attribute of the option element if I understand

you correctly:

Mack

• 3. Re: drop down box too large for screen
              mack_ Level 3

Ah, ok. I think you'll need to use a custom drop-down component,

doesn't wrap it's content. Something like:

http://www.simpletutorials.com/?path=tutorials/javascript/jquery/ddcombobox

Mack

• 4. Re: drop down box too large for screen
                gdmprog1 Level 1

We don't have JQuery and aren't likely to get new software of any kind. But it sounds like your suggestion would just truncate the data anyway.

• 5. Re: drop down box too large for screen
                  mack_ Level 3

We don't have JQuery and aren't likely to get new software of any kind.

/quote

jQuery is a free javascript library so you can download it and use it

in your project.

I need to limit the drop down box to 150 digits

/quote

But it sounds like your suggestion would just truncate the data anyway.

/quote

Ok, I misunderstood your question initially. I don't think the option

element in HTML allows tags:

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#edef-OPTION so it will

not wrap.

Mack