5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2009 12:48 AM by ligudrun

specifications for laptop

ligudrun

Hi!

One of these days i want to purchase a pc-laptop so I can edit my short-films anywhere..

What specifications do I need for running after-effects(and premiere) smoothly?

Ofcourse there is official information about this, but it would be great to hear about personal experiences, because none of the people i know use after-effects on a laptop.

Thanks!

Ligudrun

• 1. Re: specifications for laptop
          bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

The official word is where you start and then you throw money at more RAM.

Whatever laptop you buy, you will not be happy with it in a few months since it will be replaced by newer and faster processors, bigger drives, and faster graphics cards.

I cannot imagine trying to create video or AE comps without the convenience and space of a second monitor.

bogiesan

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: specifications for laptop
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Mmmh, when out of town I can get some things done on my 1.5 year old 15" MacBook Pro, but I agree with David - screen real estate (or lack thereof) is the biggest issue when working. One finds himself quickly schuffling around windows. Anyway, if you plan on going with a notebook, get a 17"/18" screen, as much RAM as the thing can handle (usually 4GB) and an NVidia- or ATI-based graphics system, not an intel onboard chipset. The rest is pretty much as David said - buy it today, get jealous for the newer model tomorrow.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: specifications for laptop
              ligudrun Level 1

Thank you both!

I know the screen is a limitation, but i'm used to this, having worked on a g3 /15inch for 10 years..

looking forward to visiting family abroad and still being able to work..

Ligudrun

• 4. Re: specifications for laptop
                Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

I am doing most of my work with a 15", 2.53 Ghz MBP.

I connect it to an external display for desktop spanning when I am at work, andI  also have  fast storage by using an Expresscard/34 dual eSATA add-on. It comes with 4 GB of RAM, which is fine to feed the dual core CPU, and it has a 512 MB GeForce 9600GT card which works nicely with AE's OpenGL. You can also have video montior previews via an AJA or Matrox, both vendors have new models with high-quality output and suitable connections for laptops.

This is not an endorsement. A Windows machine with similar specs should work just as well.

• 5. Re: specifications for laptop
                  ligudrun Level 1

This is very helpfull too, thanks a lot!