I'm getting fairly proficient at HTML, so it's time learn another web
      authoring language. What's the next logical one to learn ? PHP, ASP or
      something else - and why ? Also, what are the best resources to turn to
      learn it ?

Thanks;

Pat

• 1. Re: Moving beyond HTML
          Level 7
          It really depends on what you want achieve....CMS seems to be more and more
          popular; which is mostly PHP based.

"Pat Jones" <Pat@marketingguy.org> wrote in message
          news:gau5to$mlu$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi;
          >
          > I'm getting fairly proficient at HTML, so it's time learn another web
          > authoring language. What's the next logical one to learn ? PHP, ASP or
          > something else - and why ? Also, what are the best resources to turn to
          > learn it ?
          >
          >
          > Thanks;
          >
          > Pat
          >

• 2. Re: Moving beyond HTML
            Level 7
            PHP is a great way to go. It's continually evolving as opposed to ASP which
            is dead as a doornail (in the light of ASP.NET).

Best resources to turn to? There's none better than the several books by
            our friend David Powers. Find him on Amazon....

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            ==================

> Hi;
            >
            > something else - and why ? Also, what are the best resources to turn to
            > learn it ?
            >
            >
            > Thanks;
            >
            > Pat
            >

• 3. Re: Moving beyond HTML
              Level 7

> Hi;
              >
              > something else - and why ?

Are you feeling pretty proficient at CSS? If not, that's definitely next on
              the list.

--
              Patty Ayers | www.WebDevBiz.com
              Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
              Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
              --

• 4. Re: Moving beyond HTML
                Level 7
                Thanks All;

How does ASP.NET compare to PHP? Is there someplace where I can look at the
                pros and cons(if any) of each?

Pat

"Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
                news:gau8qj$q49$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > PHP is a great way to go. It's continually evolving as opposed to ASP
                > which is dead as a doornail (in the light of ASP.NET).
                >
                > Best resources to turn to? There's none better than the several books by
                > our friend David Powers. Find him on Amazon....
                >
                > --
                > Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                > Adobe Community Expert
                > (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                > ==================
                > http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                > http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                > ==================
                >
                >
                > "Pat Jones" <Pat@marketingguy.org> wrote in message
                > news:gau5to$mlu$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >> Hi;
                >>
                >> I'm getting fairly proficient at HTML, so it's time learn another web
                >> authoring language. What's the next logical one to learn ? PHP, ASP or
                >> something else - and why ? Also, what are the best resources to turn to
                >> learn it ?
                >>
                >>
                >> Thanks;
                >>
                >> Pat
                >>
                >

• 5. Re: Moving beyond HTML
                  Level 7
                  ASP.NET = proprietary Microsoft
                  PHP = Open Source

--
                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  ==================
                  ==================

news:gaud04$205$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Thanks All;
                  >
                  > How does ASP.NET compare to PHP? Is there someplace where I can look at
                  > the pros and cons(if any) of each?
                  >
                  > Pat
                  >
                  >
                  > "Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
                  > news:gau8qj$q49$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >> PHP is a great way to go. It's continually evolving as opposed to ASP
                  >> which is dead as a doornail (in the light of ASP.NET).
                  >>
                  >> Best resources to turn to? There's none better than the several books by
                  >> our friend David Powers. Find him on Amazon....
                  >>
                  >> --
                  >> Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  >> Adobe Community Expert
                  >> (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                  >> ==================
                  >> http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                  >> http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                  >> ==================
                  >>
                  >>
                  >> "Pat Jones" <Pat@marketingguy.org> wrote in message
                  >> news:gau5to$mlu$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >>> Hi;
                  >>>
                  >>> I'm getting fairly proficient at HTML, so it's time learn another web
                  >>> authoring language. What's the next logical one to learn ? PHP, ASP or
                  >>> something else - and why ? Also, what are the best resources to turn to
                  >>> learn it ?
                  >>>
                  >>>
                  >>> Thanks;
                  >>>
                  >>> Pat
                  >>>
                  >>
                  >
                  >

• 6. Re: Moving beyond HTML
                    Level 7
                    Technical issues aside, PHP is far and away the hot skill to have right now,
                    in conjunction with knowing your way around Apache and MySql databases.

It's free, powerful, open source and every man and his dog offers CMS,
                    wikis, add-ons etc in PHP.

As Patty suggests, mastery of CSS is also a superb addition to your toolbox
                    and will be in high demand for the foreseeable future.

--
                    Regards

John Waller

• 7. Re: Moving beyond HTML
                      Level 7
                      Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll focus on PHP. I already have a good
                      grasp of CSS.

cheers;

Pat
                      "John Waller" <johnw@REMOVETHISpinnacleweb.com.au> wrote in message
                      news:gauv7h$mc8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > Technical issues aside, PHP is far and away the hot skill to have right
                      > now, in conjunction with knowing your way around Apache and MySql
                      > databases.
                      >
                      > It's free, powerful, open source and every man and his dog offers CMS,
                      > wikis, add-ons etc in PHP.
                      >
                      > As Patty suggests, mastery of CSS is also a superb addition to your
                      > toolbox and will be in high demand for the foreseeable future.
                      >
                      > --
                      > Regards
                      >
                      > John Waller

• 8. Re: Moving beyond HTML
                        Level 7
                        "John Waller" <johnw@REMOVETHISpinnacleweb.com.au> wrote:

>Technical issues aside, PHP is far and away the hot skill to have right now,
                        >in conjunction with knowing your way around Apache and MySql databases.
                        >
                        >It's free, powerful, open source and every man and his dog offers CMS,
                        >wikis, add-ons etc in PHP.

I recently read "Beyond Java" by Bruce Tate, published in 1995. He largely
                        plugs Ruby (which I had never heard of) and is rather dismissive of PHP, which
                        he seems to think is very limited. I gather that PHP has made giant strides
                        since this book was written, and seems to do nearly everything, with some
                        excellent libraries. How widely is Ruby used now?

On another note, if you want to use user side scripting in HTML, are you limited
                        to JavaScript, or can you specify another language? I was asking the other day
                        about installing PHP for local use and wondered if I could use it for user side
                        scripting in HTML, if I did so. (I was only thinking about web page editing
                        programs which you run on your own PC before you upload the public code; not for
                        inclusion in the finished product.)

Clancy
                        • 9. Re: Moving beyond HTML
                          Level 7
                          > I recently read "Beyond Java" by Bruce Tate, published in 1995. He
                          > largely
                          > plugs Ruby (which I had never heard of) and is rather dismissive of PHP,
                          > which
                          > he seems to think is very limited. I gather that PHP has made giant
                          > strides
                          > since this book was written, and seems to do nearly everything, with some
                          > excellent libraries. How widely is Ruby used now?

Computer books published in 1995 would be interesting curiosities to see how
                          people viewed the web etc back then. But I would have thought that opinions
                          from that era would be largely irrelevant today. The world and technology
                          have moved on.

PHP had just left the womb in 1995. Today it dominates server side
                          scripting.
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PHP#Release_history

I don't know anything about Ruby (on Rails) I'm afraid, other than I've
                          heard of them.

--
                          Regards

John Waller

• 10. Re: Moving beyond HTML
                            mahendra rajeshirke Level 2
                            great informatin shared by all about guidence of choosing scipt language in current time
                            • 11. Re: Moving beyond HTML
                              Level 7
                              "John Waller" <johnw@REMOVETHISpinnacleweb.com.au> wrote:

>Computer books published in 1995 would be interesting curiosities to see how
                              >people viewed the web etc back then.

Just so. I don't know where the 1995 came from; I mean't to say the book was
                              written in 2005. But that's the trouble with decades -- after you've seen
                              enough of them, they all look the same!

Clancy
                              • 12. Re: Moving beyond HTML
                                malcster2 Level 1
                                what is david powers best php book, in everyones opinion?

• 13. Re: Moving beyond HTML
                                  malcster2 Level 1
                                  and while we're on the subject, what books do you suggest for css and java script?
                                  • 14. Re: Moving beyond HTML
                                    Level 7
                                    Which DW? He actually has several, all of which are terriffic -

Dreamweavver CS3 with CSS, Ajax, and PHP
                                    PHP Solutions
                                    (assuming CS3)

--
                                    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                    Adobe Community Expert
                                    ==================
                                    ==================

"malcster2" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                    news:gb5ono$46l$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                    > what is david powers best php book, in everyones opinion?
                                    >
                                    >

• 15. Re: Moving beyond HTML
                                      Level 7
                                      I really would put javascript well down on the list. But you could check
                                      the Missing Manual series for either.

Of course, for reference, Eric Meyer's Definitive Guide to CSS by O'Reilly
                                      is indispensible.

--
                                      Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                      Adobe Community Expert
                                      ==================
                                      ==================

"malcster2" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                      news:gb5osl$4ai$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                      > and while we're on the subject, what books do you suggest for css and java
                                      > script?

• 16. Re: Moving beyond HTML
                                        Level 7
                                        On 21 Sep 2008 in macromedia.dreamweaver, Murray *ACE* wrote:

> I really would put javascript well down on the list. But you could
                                        > check the Missing Manual series for either.

There's also the 'Rhino book' - "Javascript The Definitive Guide" Fifth
                                        Edition by David Flanagan, O'Reilly Associates, August 2006, ISBN 10: 0-
                                        596-10199-6 | ISBN 13: 9780596101992. Like most O'Reilly books, it isn't
                                        cheap, but like most O'Reilly books, when they say definitive they mean
                                        it.

http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596101992/

<disclaimer class="standard">No connection with author, publisher, just a
                                        satisfied customer, ...</disclaimer>

--
                                        Joe Makowiec
                                        http://makowiec.net/
                                        Email: http://makowiec.net/contact.php
                                        • 17. Re: Moving beyond HTML
                                          Level 7
                                          Joe Makowiec wrote:
                                          > There's also the 'Rhino book' - "Javascript The Definitive Guide" Fifth
                                          > Edition by David Flanagan, O'Reilly Associates, August 2006, ISBN 10: 0-
                                          > 596-10199-6 | ISBN 13: 9780596101992. Like most O'Reilly books, it isn't
                                          > cheap, but like most O'Reilly books, when they say definitive they mean
                                          > it.

It's not really a tutorial book, though. I have never come across a book
                                          that teaches modern JavaScript in a decent way. They either tend to deal
                                          with trivial stuff or are aimed at propellorheads. "DOM Scripting" by
                                          Jeremy Keith is quite good.

I've been reading "jQuery in Action", which is also good, but you really
                                          need to know at least the basics of JavaScript to get the best out of it.

--
                                          David Powers, Adobe Community Expert
                                          Author, "The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver CS3" (friends of ED)
                                          Author, "PHP Solutions" (friends of ED)
                                          http://foundationphp.com/
                                          • 18. Re: Moving beyond HTML
                                            malcster2 Level 1
                                            I'm also looking for an 'ultimate search engine optimization' book, or even website.

any ideas?