21 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2009 12:31 PM by Jim_Simon

Import video larger than 720 x 480

recs

I have a MOV video.  It is 1200 x 900.  I have a sequence (DV-NTSC 48 kHz) with standard settings of  720 x 480.When I add this imported video to the timeline Video 1 channel, the video window shows a partial imported video, like it does fit all the info. Probably because the imput video has much higher resolution than the standard settings.

I can I solve this so the video window will show the totality of this imported video of 1200 x 900 in resolution?

Thanks.

Ruben Corvalan

corvalan@ampsafe.com

• 1. Re: Import video larger than 720 x 480
          Harm Millaard Level 7

RTFM on scale to frame size.

• 2. Re: Import video larger than 720 x 480
            Colin Brougham Level 6

This is pretty basic stuff; break out the help file to learn more. But to get you rolling:

scale.png

• 3. Re: Import video larger than 720 x 480
              recs Level 1

Thanks.

What is RTFM?

• 5. Re: Import video larger than 720 x 480
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Read the friendly manual.

• 6. Re: Import video larger than 720 x 480
                  Mortimer IOU Level 2

Colin's link shows clearly to all that the acronym really isn't that friendly, no matter how it's reinterpreted, which is why we discourage its use on the forums.

• 7. Re: Import video larger than 720 x 480
                    recs Level 1

I am new to Premiere CS4 and I am just starting to study it.

I did not appreciate the answer, but what the heck, I am an adult and can take it.

See ya!

Ruben Corvalan

• 8. Re: Import video larger than 720 x 480
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

And that is also the reason why questions along the following lines are discouraged:

Hello, I am new to driving a car and don't have a license yet, but can someone tell me how to start a car? I need to go to my girlfriend tonight and don't have much time to figure it out. I don't want to miss my date.

The preferred answer, according to forum rules lately is to not say something like: "For your own safety, as well as of others on the road it may be a good suggestion to first get your license", but give the technical answer "turn the ingition key" and then hit the pedal to the metal to be there in time.

Forum rules suggest that you should not advise people to read the manual, not consult the help file, not use tutorials and just pose their questions and for regulars to just ignore those questions, not answering them. At least that is my perception from reading mods reactions.

It is politically incorrect to teach how to fish. It is better to give them a fish. Times are changing...

• 9. Re: Import video larger than 720 x 480
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Ruben,

Just out of curiosity, did looking up "scale to frame size" that I explicitly mentioned, in the manual or help file solve it? Did you learn anything from the manual for the future to make life easier?

Sorry if the standard RTFM acronym offended you, but as Colin said, it is very basic stuff that can easily be learned by using the manual, help file and watching tutorials.

• 10. Re: Import video larger than 720 x 480
                          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Harm Millaard wrote:

And that is also the reason why questions along the following lines are discouraged:

Hello, I am new to driving a car and don't have a license yet, but can someone tell me how to start a car? I need to go to my girlfriend tonight and don't have much time to figure it out. I don't want to miss my date.

The preferred answer, according to forum rules lately is to not say something like: "For your own safety, as well as of others on the road it may be a good suggestion to first get your license", but give the technical answer "turn the ingition key" and then hit the pedal to the metal to be there in time.

Forum rules suggest that you should not advise people to read the manual, not consult the help file, not use tutorials and just pose their questions and for regulars to just ignore those questions, not answering them. At least that is my perception from reading mods reactions.

It is politically incorrect to teach how to fish. It is better to give them a fish. Times are changing...

Not quite correct, Harm.

Interestingly enough, your example about getting one's license is phrased politely.  However, there is no way that RTFM can be considered polite advice under any circumstances.  The advice to read the appropriate section of the manual can and should be delivered politely.

One can be terse, direct and efficient without being rude, abrasive or insulting.  And if one is so irritated by a poster's question that one cannot exercise good manners, then it is indeed best for everyone if the question is simply ignored.

-Jeff

• 12. Re: Import video larger than 720 x 480

Jim,

Post number 10.

-Jeff

• 13. Re: Import video larger than 720 x 480
                              recs Level 1

Harm:

Yes, your hint regarding "scale to frame size" was helpful and I could solve my challenge. Thanks.

I agree with the rest of the answers for this thread.  I understand it must be disturbing for an expert to receive basics questions like the one I posted.  But you have a choice not to respond if the answer will be offensive.

Thanks again.

Ruben Corvalan

• 14. Re: Import video larger than 720 x 480
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

Jim,

Post number 10.

I saw it.  I still think Harm's observation has merit.  As does yours.

I guess the difference of opinion lies in the order of preference for answers to questions that really shouldn't be asked because even a modicum of research by the poster would obviate the need to ask it.  I see it thus:

1. A polite version of RTFM.

2. The rude version of RTFM.

3. No answer.

I'm positing that higher ups would order it thus:

1. Correct technical answer.

2. Polite version of RTFM.

3. No Answer.

I think Harm's post was about highlighting the fact that our list does not have #1 from your list, and your list does not have #2 from ours.  (But hey, at least we agree on number 3.   The problem with that, however, is that the forums then become a wasteland of unanswered questions.)

• 15. Re: Import video larger than 720 x 480
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Maybe we should create a new acronym:

LIUITFMUTH:

(Look it up in the friendly manual under the heading:)

• 17. Re: Import video larger than 720 x 480
                                    Thrill Media Level 2

ok... scratch that...

• 18. Re: Import video larger than 720 x 480

JSS1138 wrote:

I'm positing that higher ups would order it thus:

1. Correct technical answer.

2. Polite version of RTFM.

3. No Answer.

There are many users who would cheerfully post #1, even for questions that would entice experienced users to post #2.  If you (or anyone) find yourselves *really* wanting to post a rude version of #2, then I respectfully recommend that you skip to #3.

Do you honestly believe that there is anyone who posts a question here that does not know that Help files are available?  They have either chosen to not reference the Help files at all, or they have been unable to locate what they needed in the Help system.  The former often deserve a polite reminder to check the Help system first, but the latter are geniunely in need of help from someone else.  If you don't feel like delving into which is which, then the best solution is to ignore the question and move on to something else.

-Jeff

• 19. Re: Import video larger than 720 x 480
                                        Dan Isaacs Level 2

Well said, Jeff.

• 20. Re: Import video larger than 720 x 480
                                          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Indeed well said Jeff.

duimpje blauw

• 21. Re: Import video larger than 720 x 480
                                            Jim_Simon Level 8

If you (or anyone) find yourselves *really* wanting to post a rude version of #2, then I respectfully recommend that you skip to #3.

I've no quarrel with that, and have been trying to follow that advice of late.

Do you honestly believe that there is anyone who posts a question here that does not know that Help files are available?

Whether or not they know about them I won't speculate.  That they chose not to use them first is where I take issue.

they have been unable to locate what they needed in the Help system [and] are geniunely in need of help from someone else.

Again, I've no quarrel with that.  Such questions are why the forums exist.  But such questions are not under discussion here.  Questions which need not be asked had the person asking done their homework are what we're talking about.  Those are the questions that generate one of the three aforementioned responses.