8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2009 5:37 PM by the_wine_snob

Narration Issue

WoodyMorr

When narrating PE cuts parts of words off randomly. 30 second narration will have a word in the middle just gone, or cut. Anyone had this problem and know the fix? It's not the mike, works fine in another program and on other computer. Not a memory issue.

• 1. Re: Narration Issue
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It could be a system resource issue on your computer. Depends on how fast your computer is, how much RAM you have and what operating system you're running.

Or it could be an outdated audio driver or firmware issue with your sound card. Or even outdated Quicktime.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416585?tstart=0

Or spyware or even a virus. How many background processes are running on your computer? (Right-click on your Windows Task Bar and select Task Manager.)

• 2. Re: Narration Issue
            WoodyMorr Level 1

Thanks for the response and time Steve.

I did update all drivers (new machine) and have disabled as many programs as possible, including anti-virus/firewall; everything I can think of. This machine is dedicated to just editing video. It only went online to set up and update, not online now and runs no other programs at all.. I have no problem with narration on another program - same computer.

Interl Core 2 Quad @ 2.83 GHz

8 GB ram

Vista Home Premium SP 1

• 3. Re: Narration Issue

Well, I'd recommend you go back online and update a few more things. Vista, for instance, should be up to SP2.

But I don't think and out of date driver is the issue here.

It could be feedback from your speakers, for instance. If you play your video as you're recording narration.

It could also be your hardware. Is this a $5 microphone or a $50 microphone? That can make a difference.

Also, it is USB or does it plug into a microphone jack?

And do these interruptions occur at exactly the same spots every time you play back your video or is it intermittent?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Narration Issue
                WoodyMorr Level 1

After reading your section up dating drivers ect.. I did just that; found a few other things that needed to be upgraded including Quicktime.

No speakers at all, only headset.

$130 headset.

Ears and mic are jacks.

SOMETIMES the problem recurrs at the exact same spot; my "correction" will also be corrupt. Other times it is completetly random and just re-recording is the fix.

perplexed!

Woody

• 5. Re: Narration Issue

Hmm. I'm perplexed too. Sorry.

Assuming you've done a lot of troubleshooting on your own (like doing a test recording with that headset into Windows Sound Recorder) to ensure that this problem is unique to Premiere Elements, it might be time to contact Adobe Tech Support.

Strange that you say it happens at the same spot -- even when you re-record a fix?! That might be a good place to focus. Figure out what's going on on the timeline at that point.

• 6. Re: Narration Issue
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Woody,

Tell us a bit more about your I/O sub-system, i.e. the HDD's, their speed, connection and how they are both allocated and how you're using them. Audio is very dependent on HDD speed.

If, or instance, one has only 1 HDD, and it's being used for everything, it would not be uncommon to have problems with Audio, both in recording and in playback.

Good luck, and we'll take a look at the I/O, as it's a possibility.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Narration Issue
                      WoodyMorr Level 1

Hmmm, talking over my head now. Do not know how or where to find the I/O subsystem information but will start looking.

Sometimes is seems as if there is just a corrupt spot in the timeline that is difficult to fix (with the audio) on rare occasions the audio and video hiccup, but never repeat that issue in the same spot and it is only a playback issue, the actual data is correct.

• 8. Re: Narration Issue
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Woody,

Your I/O sub-system will be layed out in your Control Panel>System>Hard Drives. You should have a list of your individual HDD's. You can get the size and speed there, and the Free Space in My Computer, then Rt-clicking on each HDD.

Info, like how the HDD's are allocated can require a bit more research. Things like how your Windows Virtual Memory (Page File) can be found in the Control Panel>System>Advanced settings.

If one only has one HDD, then there are a lot of things happening at the same time:

1.) OS is using it

2.) OS is reading/writing to the Virtual Memory

3.) PE is using it

4.) PE is reading/writing to the media files

5.) PE is trying to do the recording, in the case of Narration

The above list is one reason that I strongly recommend multiple physical (not partitions) HDD's for NLE work. If one only has one HDD, then additional HDD's will be highly recommended. Their setup is discussed in some links that I furnished in a short article in Tips & Tricks. These link to three articles by Harm Millard on the PrPro CS4 forum, but translate well to PE.

Good luck,

Hunt