13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2009 4:44 AM by mightyxena

Premiere elements next to other video program

mightyxena Level 1

Hi there,

For the moment I use Cyberlink Power Director 5 for my videos and music videos.

However I noticed that Adobe Premiere Elements has also some nice features.

I would like to know if APE can be installed next to my other video program?  Sometimes a new program refuses to install because another video program is already installed on the PC.

Thanks in advance for your info.

Kind regards

Martine

• 1. Re: Premiere elements next to other video program
          Paul_LS Level 4

With any video editors it is a bit "hit or miss" whether you will have issues installing them together. Codecs from the new program can replace them from the older program, the new program could "hog" the DVD burner and not let the old program use it. There are a number of possible issues... all you can hope is that if you do have issues a simple uninstall of the program can fix them. However many programs leave bits "laying" around that can still give problems. Hopefully someone who has tried the two programs together can comment.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premiere elements next to other video program
            Kodebuster Level 3

I'm running two (2) systems, one with Vista-32, the other with Vista-64.

I have Cyberlink DVD Suite v6, plus PE7 installed on both with no issues.

The Cyber Suite includes PowerDirector and a host of other app's that interface to the DVD/Bluray Burners I have.

One caveat, these are not home grown or self built systems, they are HP purchased systems.

Turns out that both Cyber Suite and PE7 are add-on software that can be purchased with most desktop systems from HP (via their online store).

This software is certified and tested in-house by HP to co-exist and run as advertised with these systems ( www.hpshopping.com ).

I'm positive that the same can be said for any software that's included on systems that Dell sells. (When you build your own, or purchase hardware from a no-name vendor, you sometimes lose that advantage, but the cost can sometimes justify the means).

Again, Cyber and PE7 work great together (at least on the latest high end HP systems being built and sold online)...

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Premiere elements next to other video program
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I use PrPro for most of my NLE work. On my workstation, however, I have Magix, CyberLink, WMM and two other NLE's. No problems. On my laptop, I only have PrPro, PE and WMM - still no problems.

Though I use PrPro as my main NLE on both computers, I use the others as tools, when needed.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premiere elements next to other video program
                mightyxena Level 1

Kodebuster,

I have still XP home on my desktop (Medion intel dual core Pentium D -3.0 GHZ - 4GB memory) .  I don`t have a laptop yet.

I do have Power Director 5.

Before I had Magix installed aswell but after uninstalling Magix some components, such as the updater, went gone and my PC crashed.

So I truly hope that PE7 will run smoothly.

Martine    

• 5. Re: Premiere elements next to other video program
                  mightyxena Level 1

Wine-Snob,

As mentioned to Kodebuster I have a desktop ME8800 Titanium (Medion) - intel dual core Pentium processor 830 - 3.0ghz - 4b memory.

Hope I don`t have the same problem as I had with the Magix.

I would like to use PE7 for the additional tools it has versus Power Director 5.

Kind regards

martine    

• 6. Re: Premiere elements next to other video program
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

The only potential problem that I see would be if one NLE overwrote the CODEC's supplied by another. As a measure to prevent this possibility, I would reserve the installation of your main NLE to the last. PE (like its "big-brother" PrPro) ships with the MainConcept CODEC's. Because of a naming convention, these are registered as different versions of the MPEG CODEC's (often causing "false-positives" with programs like Sherlock the CODEC Detective and also with G-Spot).

In the case of my workstation, PrPro was the first NLE (along with WMM) that was installed. All of the rest came afterwards, with no ill-effects. I've even had a few instances, where I had more than one open at the same time, though usually it's only Adobe programs, that are running simultaneously. I also need to point out that with the other NLE's, I have mostly versions that are maybe two back, and not the latest release of these. As they are but minor "tools" in the workflow, I do not feel the need to have the latest versions installed. The full suite of Adobe programs is the exception - though I am still on the CS2 Production Studio.

Just for general info, take a look at this LINK. It's basically geared towards Adobe Encore, but most of the caveats relate to all Adobe programs, that burn to DVD. I have Nero also installed (plus Gear DVD-Video and ImgBurn), but only the necessary modules - no InCD, and no indexing. This requires a custom installation of Nero, with the packet-writing modules NOT installed. Same for the Nero indexing and "watched folders." I have seen indications that Nero has changed their default installation from a 100% install, to having to pick and choose just what will be installed. This is good, in my book, but I cannot confirm it, as my Nero is a few generations old also.

One last caveat is to only install CODEC's, when they are necessary. I stay far away from any CODEC "packs," and also attempt to go to the developer for the original CODEC's, even when it means that I will pay for the proper CODEC, rather than get a "free" one. Some free CODEC's work fine, but some are hacked and reverse-engineered versions, that do not play nice with other CODEC's on a system. Going to the paid version of MainConcept, or DivX has always worked perfectly, so I see no reason to go with the free versions. For me, stability is my ultimate goal - I want things to work 100% of the time.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere elements next to other video program
                      Kodebuster Level 3

One approach to loading any software on your system is to always create a Windows Restore point prior to any action taken.

In many cases, a new Restore Point will automagically happen on installs/upgrades of new software, or when an Update is applied via Windows Update.

BUT THIS MAY NOT ALWAYS BE THE CASE, so I would make sure to manually create one before any software changes are applied.

If you want the best in breed for managing Restore Points in a Windows environment, then get Rollback-RX.

Rollback-RX is Windows Restore on steroids, and I highly recommend it.

I can't count the number of times it bailed me out and saved me countless hours of grief and heartache.

Check it out here:

http://www.horizondatasys.com/169614.ihtml

• 8. Re: Premiere elements next to other video program
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

You make a very good point, and one that I often overlook mentioning, though I do it for every installation, and also for driver updating. A good set of Restore Points can be invaluable. I also do not rely on Windows to do this for me, and just create them, as I need them.

Thanks for mentioning it,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Premiere elements next to other video program
                          Kodebuster Level 3

Interesting point you make on creating your own Restore Point (rather than banking on Microsoft to do it correctly).

Was wondering what method you employed to backup the Registry, is it via regedit. or a 3rd party package ???

I got burned a few times by Windows Restore where it would refuse to roll back to a point in time. And when that happens your basically screwed and are stuck with what you have, or must venture into the unkowns of the Registry and manually try and figure things out. When this happens, it's not a pretty sight.

I don't have this issue anymore, as Rollback-RX is my new best friend (and security blanket)...

• 10. Re: Premiere elements next to other video program
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

I use both RegEdit and also CCleaner's Registry backup schemes. Have not looked into Rollback-RX, but will. I also use Norton Ghost for system backups.

When I have had any issues with Windows Restore Points, I boot to Safe Mode and all is well - or has been. I try for some redundancy in my schemes, as I hate it when things fail. That's why I'll also look at Rollback-RX too.

Thanks for that suggestion,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Premiere elements next to other video program
                              mightyxena Level 1

Woaw Fellows,

You are all professionals to me.  I also have Nero which was pre-installed and for which I purchased a small update.

But for making a Restore Point and all the other stuff your are talking about, well I`m just a novice in that.

I think the best thing for me to do it to have it perhaps installed by a professional and have it tested so that both programs keeps on working when installed on the same desktop.

But I thank you very much for the info given.  It is much appreciated.

Ciao

martine

• 12. Re: Premiere elements next to other video program
                                mightyxena Level 1

Kodeboster,

I just looked at Rollback-RX and that looks indeed very good.

I think that even a novice as me when it comes to PC stuff, can use this.

Thanks for the link to RB-RX.   Great!

Many thanks

martine

• 13. Re: Premiere elements next to other video program
                                  mightyxena Level 1

Kodebuster,

Took a look at the Rollback-RX and that looks great.

I even think that a novice as me when it comes to PC stuff, can use it.

Thanks for the link

Martine