5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2009 8:28 AM by deleted111

First video with Adobe After Effects

deleted111

Hey folks! First time posting and first video with this program. Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD8GS_Mum9Y

Please tell me how it coul be imroved, suggestions, etc. I am very interested in learning this as I see it can be very usefull in the future for me.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: First video with Adobe After Effects
          pauljaw2000 Level 1

NIce work. Particularly liked the use of the music.

A couple of books that might be useful are:

"The DV Rebels Guide" by Stu Maschwitz. Also a good site which is used by readers of that book is 'The Rebel Cafe".  A lot of talk about  After Effects. over there - the site (and book) covers loads of other areas and advice about filmaking on a budget.

and

"Editing Techniques with Final CUt Pro".  by Micheal Wohl.  -        I mention this because half of it is about Film Grammar - ie Film School Stuff - How to edit your film to make it more interesting.  It is excellent on all that area and I found it very thorogh and informative. But there may be other books out there which are good on editing.  BUt I think that the first part of it  about film editing is relevant to every film maker. You dont need to use Final Cut to learn the art side of editing in this book.

I was also recommended  - "Developing digital short films" by Sherri Sheridan - but i hav'nt read it yet.

Have you visited MDOT Strange's Film School on You Tube? He has some good suggestions for what to read to learn, and he gives some good advice. (And he has turned down a hollywood deal for one of his filmsl!!)

Best wishes

• 2. Re: First video with Adobe After Effects
            bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

Story.

There's no story for the audience; we don't who to cheer for or who to despise or why.

You might be thinking that, as a short, your film doesn't need a story since you have shown only a small glimpse that is totally out of context.

However, creating puzzles or presenting dissatisfying conclusions is a luxury filmmakers must earn.

When learning to create in this medium, satisfying your audience is more important than satisfying yourselves.

bogiesan

• 3. Re: First video with Adobe After Effects
              deleted111 Level 1

Hey there Bogiesan,

Thanks for your reply. The reason there is no story is because we were given

the task to perform a SCENE. Not an entire movie. I understand what you are

saying, but this was done in three days so we had no time to sit down and

write a story. In a little more time, we would definitely have had a better

movie. Also one thing we opted to do was to include after effects. This was

of course not necessary, but it looks cool and it takes your attention

away from the terrible story.

Anyway, thanks for your comments and views. I hope this explains a little

and lightens your disappointment.

Regards,

Cbeppe.

• 4. Re: First video with Adobe After Effects
                bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

> Hey folks! First time posting and first video with this program.

> Please tell me how it coul be imroved, suggestions, etc. I am very interested in learning this as I see it can be very usefull in the future for

> me.

> Anyway, thanks for your comments and views. I hope this explains a little

> and lightens your disappointment.< >

I'm not disappointed; you asked for "suggestions" without giving us any context. The AE content is executed well enough as to be almost invisible and that's perfect.

bogiesan

• 5. Re: First video with Adobe After Effects
                  deleted111 Level 1

Hello agina,

Please don't misunderstand, you had a great suggestion, and I should have

added a little more context.

Thanks

Cbeppe