4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2010 1:20 PM by aryenb

How can I prevent the access to media files?

Retrozilla

Hi

I would like to make a slide show with hundreds of photos. So I guess, it would be best to store them outside the movie as linked cast members. But how do I prevent then users from accessing these files? Is it possible to do that at all?

Regards

Simon

• 1. Re: How can I prevent the access to media files?
          liveoak Level 1

For some basic protection, why don't you import these photos into a cast (you can use an external cast if you want to keep you main movie small) and then use the "Xtras/Update Movies" option to protrect them or covert them to a Shockwave move, which also has some basic protection. I believe this will serve your needs better than external linked files.

While people can get assets out of a protected movie with some effort, the old saying "That locks are for honest people, and safes are fro theives" applies! Using Director's basic protection will prevent use of images by your average user. And, of course, no matter how you try to protect images, the user can always do a screen shot, and then crop that inside an image editor.

So simple protection, combined with use of low-res images on-screen, is good combination of ease of use on your end with having your users see that the images are not easily available for copy and use

• 2. Re: How can I prevent the access to media files?
            aryenb

You can hide files and folders when your burn a cd/dvd. I use it for hiding my media files. see example jpg.

I also hide my external cast, to prevent easy acces.

With regards,

Aryen Bouwmeester

• 3. Re: How can I prevent the access to media files?
              Retrozilla Level 1

Hi Aryen

Thanks for your proposal. Unfortunately I cannot open your example jpgs. Maybe you could explain in words how you're hiding files and folders? Is it "just" disc--mastering or how do you let them disappear?

Regards

Simon

• 4. Re: How can I prevent the access to media files?
                aryenb Level 1

Hi simon,

It depends on the system you are working on but this is what i do:

Mac - Toast

1 Drag and drop the files and/or maps in Toast

2 Dubble click on the files and/or maps you want to hide

3 Mark invisible

PC - Nero

1 Drag and drop the files and/or maps in Nero

2 Right click on the files and/or maps you want to hide and select Properties

3 Mark hide

On pc it isn't bullet-proof, because you can show hidden files as a prefference.

But when you place it in a external cast and hide it, you cover a lot of users

For extra security you can use special programms that hide and decrypt files, but i have no experience with that.

I use it mainly for the "clean look" of the dvd, showing only the important user files.

Ill hope this will help you.