4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2008 2:53 PM by Newsgroup_User

multiple checks in a list box

Level 7
      http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/infopath/HA100819611033.aspx

Hi all,
      Can I do this in coldfusion?
      I have my categories in a table, how can I display those a checkbox?
      When the user select multiple options, how can I store in a database? id's
      separate by commas?
      Thanks

JFB

• 1. Re: multiple checks in a list box
          Dan Bracuk Level 5
          Storing lists of id's in a single record is a bad idea. Really bad. It results in unuseable data.

If you don't understand why I said that, I have heard good things about the book, Database Design for Mere Mortals.
          • 2. Re: multiple checks in a list box
            Level 7
            Thanks for you reply and input.
            How can I do this?
            I have multiple categories on a table and I want a user to select multiple
            catagories.
            Also a category can be add by admin at any time.
            Any other ideas?
            Thanks

JFB

"Dan Bracuk" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:gatupt$e5j$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Storing lists of id's in a single record is a bad idea. Really bad. It
            > results in unuseable data.
            >
            > If you don't understand why I said that, I have heard good things about
            > the
            > book, Database Design for Mere Mortals.
            >

• 3. Re: multiple checks in a list box
              Dan Bracuk Level 5
              First problem - you are being ambiguous. The subject line says "list box" which I interpret to mean a select. Your opening post says checkbox, which is different. You can allow the user to select mulitple categories with either, but the details depend on what you intend to use.

Second problem - you appear to not know much about database design. I consider this to be the most important skill any developer can have. If you do it well, everything else becomes simpler. Otherwise, you are less likely to be able to translate your data into information.
              • 4. Re: multiple checks in a list box
                Level 7
                Thanks for your help!!

"Dan Bracuk" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:gau9ub$rhl$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > First problem - you are being ambiguous. The subject line says "list box"
                > which I interpret to mean a select. Your opening post says checkbox,
                > which is
                > different. You can allow the user to select mulitple categories with
                > either,
                > but the details depend on what you intend to use.
                >
                > Second problem - you appear to not know much about database design. I
                > consider this to be the most important skill any developer can have. If
                > you do
                > it well, everything else becomes simpler. Otherwise, you are less likely
                > to be
                > able to translate your data into information.
                >