16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2009 1:55 PM by AttaBoy2

Render Text as HTML

BrianStapleton Level 1

Has anyone else had trouble with the Render Text As HTML function in CS4? I want to use two different fonts in the one textfield. Looks fine in Flash but when I export the swf, only the first font is used.

• 1. Re: Render Text as HTML
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

you need to embed both fonts.

• 2. Re: Render Text as HTML
            BrianStapleton Level 1

But shouldn't they both be embedded if they're in the same text field? I used Auto Fill in Character Embedding.

• 3. Re: Render Text as HTML

in the authoring environment you're trying to embed two different fonts in one dynamic textfield?

• 4. Re: Render Text as HTML
                BrianStapleton Level 1

Yep. Works fine in CS3.

• 5. Re: Render Text as HTML

really?  how do you do that?

• 6. Re: Render Text as HTML
                    BrianStapleton Level 1

Well just to be clear, I'm only talking about a body of text typed into a textfield in Flash and then set as dynamic text, not text which is being loaded in dynamically!

So, say for example I'm using Typeface A for a paragraph of text in this textfield. I then click the Render Text As HTML button. Then I set a portion of the text in the paragraph in Typeface B. I click on Character Embedding and select Auto Fill. Normally that would be the job done and dusted but this doesn't seem to be the case in CS4.

• 7. Re: Render Text as HTML

it works for me in cs4.  i can't think of any use for that but, it works in cs3 and cs4 following your directions.

it doesn't look like all the characters (in both fonts) are autofilled (they're not all listed).  but when i test all the characters in both fonts are embedded.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Render Text as HTML
                        BrianStapleton Level 1

Ok, it must be a problem with my file so. Thanks for checking that.

• 9. Re: Render Text as HTML
                          prabug

No, I am having similar issue, fonts are embedded, both in the library and off stage, and the html bold and italics are ignored, as if it is not reading the html.   The html is being loaded, but that doesnt matter. only happeneing on cs4 not prior versions.  I need a fix or workaround for this????

• 10. Re: Render Text as HTML
                            BrianStapleton Level 1

Yeah this has happened to me a few times since I started this thread a few weeks back.

Say for example, I have a paragraph of black text set in Helvetica Neue 55 Roman on the stage. I change the colour of some words to red and change some other words to Helvetica Neue 75 Bold. When I export the swf, the words that are set in red are still visible but those words set in 75 Bold are MISSING COMPLETELY, not just changed back to 55 Roman. Back in the Flash file if I select the text which is set in 75 Bold and look to the properties panel it tells me that the text is set in 27 Ultra Light Condensed even though by looking at the stage I can see that the text is clearly set in 75 Bold. What the duck?!?

I'm thinking it's another CS4 bug. They fixed a few bugs in the update back in May but this particular issue hasn't been resolved I guess.

Prabug, it sounds like you are loading your text dynamically and applying CSS styles. Is that correct?

• 11. Re: Render Text as HTML
                              prabug Level 1

I tried css styles but the bold just gets ignored.  I was actually just using the bold html tag wihtin the html i load into the dyanmic text.  I want either me or anyone else to go into the html to edit or format the text copy to their liking.  Some tags work like underline but bold and italic gets ignored.  I did try embedding the Arial system fonts, and then did seem to work, but I dont want to use arial or times.

• 12. Re: Render Text as HTML
                                BrianStapleton Level 1

Well, you might want to try drawing a text field on the stage and typing in some sample text with the bold and italic weights used, so that you can figure out whether it's a problem with the font or the code.

• 13. Re: Render Text as HTML
                                  prabug Level 1

I did try that , and severl other techniques to no avail.  I even dumbed it to the basics with a new file to test it.  The attached fla, when published shows only 'device font' is getting bolded.   Fonts are embedded both on the stage and in the library.  Is there some method that will make it work that you know of.  I have to use as2 in this project, by the by.

• 14. Re: Render Text as HTML
                                    prabug Level 1

the attachment didnt go through

• 15. Re: Render Text as HTML
                                      prabug Level 1

okay let me try zipping, do i not have permission to upload files or something?

• 16. Re: Render Text as HTML
                                        AttaBoy2 Level 3

It's not you uploading here is some sort of dark art.  I think you have to wait about a minute between the time you select the file and when you upload.

Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three.