2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2009 10:25 PM by Mylenium

Will new Macbook Pros work with AE CS4 w/o NVIDIA 9600M?

CUBuffskier

I'm in the market for a new computer to run CS4 as my new AE and Premiere machine.  I noticed today Apple now has a 15" mbp without the NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GPU and the more expensive ones with. 

Does anybody know if AE and Premiere will run without the extra graphics support, just slower obviously?  Trying to save $300.  Any help would be much appreciated.  I'm assuming the 13" models are out because the display resolution isn't hight enough.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Will new Macbook Pros work with AE CS4 w/o NVIDIA 9600M?
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

It will work just fine.

It won't be slower for rendering because of the graphics card. OpenGL is not really meant to be used as the primary way for rendering. It's  more about CPU and memory. Interactions may feel less responsive because of the less advanced graphics card. It still should be fine.

• 2. Re: Will new Macbook Pros work with AE CS4 w/o NVIDIA 9600M?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

As explained before, if it's solely for AE and a little home office work, it should be just fine. You really would only want OpenGL in AE on a notebook, when it can play its trump cards, e.g. doing some on-location quick color corrections during shoots. For most other work you will never really notice much of a difference and, depending on what projects you create, it may never even come into play - a single non-accelerated effect will disable hardware processing of successive effects as will exhausting your hardware resources by using too many accelerated effects. Of course all that changes, if you plan on using a 3D program on the machine or an entire Adobe suite. Encore, OnLocation and Premiere indeed do use graphics card accelaration a lot more than AE and may benefit from having a little more juice...

Mylenium