7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2008 12:00 PM by Newsgroup_User

copyright

Level 7
      Hi

Ok I know this may seem a bit of a rant but here in the UK the approach of
      2012 is anticipated with pleasure.

Needed to do a web site mentioning the oforesaid event. Bearing in ming
      copyright I relalised that use of the Ring logo and the apalling London Logo
      was a no go area. However on checking the London 2012 site (oops ) I find
      that they claim the following are prohibited from use on pain of legal
      action:

London

London 2012

Olympics

Paralymics

Olympix

Olympiicks

Paralympics and ix and icks

any web extension ie olymics.com/tv/biz etc.

Now I can't afford a legal wrangle but I'm interested did all this apply
      when it was held in the States?

cheers

Ian

• 1. Re: copyright
          Level 7
          .oO(Ian Edwards)

>Ok I know this may seem a bit of a rant but here in the UK the approach of
          >2012 is anticipated with pleasure.
          >
          >Needed to do a web site mentioning the oforesaid event. Bearing in ming
          >copyright I relalised that use of the Ring logo and the apalling London Logo
          >was a no go area. However on checking the London 2012 site (oops ) I find
          >that they claim the following are prohibited from use on pain of legal
          >action:
          >[...]

IANAL, but I'm quite sure not all of their claims would hold up in
          court, for example here in Germany. Some of them are far too generic
          or even plain stupid.

An interesting reading about these issues:

Olympics in London 2012, no thanks to LOCOG
          http://www.wolfstarconsultancy.com/2008/08/25/olympics-in-london-2012-no-thanks-to-locog/

Micha
          • 2. Re: copyright
            Level 7
            However on checking the London 2012 site (oops ) I find
            > that they claim the following are prohibited from use on pain of legal
            > action:
            > London
            > London 2012
            > 2012
            > Olympics
            > Paralymics
            > Olympix
            > Olympiicks
            > Paralympics and ix and icks
            > any web extension ie olymics.com/tv/biz etc.

While most of those examples are mentioned on the London 2012 website, the
            standalone word "London" itself is not claimed to be protected as a Games
            Mark.

http://www.london2012.com/about/our-brand/using-the-brand.php

--
            Regards

John Waller

• 3. Re: copyright
              Level 7
              > IANAL, but I'm quite sure not all of their claims would hold up in
              > court, for example here in Germany. Some of them are far too generic
              > or even plain stupid.

I think you'll find that they are in fact protected in one way or another
              (trademark or copyright) and that the protection is neither too generic nor
              stupid.

Who they would actually pursue in court for damages is anyone's guess.

"How are the Games' Marks protected?
              The Games' Marks are legally protected by a variety of means. Some are
              registered trademarks, and some have copyright protection.

In the UK special laws have been passed to give extra protection to some of
              the Games' Marks:the Olympic Symbol etc. (Protection) Act 1995 (OSPA)
              protects the Olympic and Paralympic symbols, mottos and various words.

Added protection is provided by the London Olympic Games and Paralympic
              Games Act 2006 (the '2006 Act'). This prevents the creation of an
              unauthorised association between people, goods or services and London 2012.

If you want to know more about these special laws, we have produced a
              detailed document providing information on them"

--
              Regards

John Waller

• 4. Re: copyright
                Level 7
                John Waller wrote:
                > While most of those examples are mentioned on the London 2012 website,
                > the standalone word "London" itself is not claimed to be protected as a
                > Games Mark.
                >
                > http://www.london2012.com/about/our-brand/using-the-brand.php

Looked at in isolation, the rules sound loopy. Take a closer look at
                examples of what's allowed and what isn't (they're in PDF files on that
                site), and it makes a lot more sense. For example, you can't call your
                site london2012tickets.com. Considering the number of sleazeballs who
                sell fake goods and outright cons, the idea is pretty sound. How the
                rules will be applied in practice is a different matter.

--
                David Powers, Adobe Community Expert
                Author, "The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver CS3" (friends of ED)
                Author, "PHP Solutions" (friends of ED)
                http://foundationphp.com/
                • 5. Re: copyright
                  Level 7
                  Hi David

Take your point, and I think the suggestion of two logos is appropriate.

The site I'm working on is a hotel in Weymouth, Weymouth council tourist
                  site uses all the olympic logos etc promoting people to visit Weymouth for
                  the Sailing Events and I assume they have permission to use the logs. The
                  Hotel I'm writing for is listed on the council tourist site yet it appears I
                  am unable to used the phrases listed on the web site. It's interesting that
                  code names are already appearing on the web for the Olympics 2012 and a
                  search on google brings up entries for Weymouth 2012 etc etc.

One suggestion I received suggested changing the colour of the Olympic Rings
                  but I feel this would be a deliberate attempt to fuel an argument.

However the site says The words ‘London 2012’ and ‘2012’ are not to be used

Does this mean that every company who make a diary, calendar which lists the
                  year 2012 is risking litigation?

The Olympics are of course a majour event and attracts large amounts of
                  sponsership but it seems that the small local business is being prevented
                  from participating. How are Web designers in the US and elsewhere going to
                  cope with this legislation??

I'm sure this is a minefield that will continue to be trod for the next 1407
                  days!

Cheers

Ian

"David Powers" <david@example.com> wrote in message
                  news:gb0eqq$in4$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > John Waller wrote:
                  >> While most of those examples are mentioned on the London 2012 website,
                  >> the standalone word "London" itself is not claimed to be protected as a
                  >> Games Mark.
                  >>
                  >> http://www.london2012.com/about/our-brand/using-the-brand.php
                  >
                  > Looked at in isolation, the rules sound loopy. Take a closer look at
                  > examples of what's allowed and what isn't (they're in PDF files on that
                  > site), and it makes a lot more sense. For example, you can't call your
                  > site london2012tickets.com. Considering the number of sleazeballs who sell
                  > fake goods and outright cons, the idea is pretty sound. How the rules will
                  > be applied in practice is a different matter.
                  >
                  > --
                  > David Powers, Adobe Community Expert
                  > Author, "The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver CS3" (friends of ED)
                  > Author, "PHP Solutions" (friends of ED)
                  > http://foundationphp.com/

• 6. Re: copyright
                    Level 7
                    Ian Edwards wrote:
                    > The site I'm working on is a hotel in Weymouth, Weymouth council tourist
                    > site uses all the olympic logos etc promoting people to visit Weymouth
                    > for the Sailing Events and I assume they have permission to use the
                    > logs. The Hotel I'm writing for is listed on the council tourist site
                    > yet it appears I am unable to used the phrases listed on the web site.

I'm not a lawyer, but my brief reading of the PDF file about branding
                    made it clear that the purpose is to stop individuals and businesses
                    trying to cash in on the Olympics by giving the false impression that
                    they are sponsoring the games in some way. Obviously, a hotel in one of
                    the official Olympic venues cannot advertise without mentioning the
                    games in some way. I would have thought the answer lies in talking to
                    Weymouth council, asking for advice.

> One suggestion I received suggested changing the colour of the Olympic
                    > Rings but I feel this would be a deliberate attempt to fuel an argument.

That's specifically banned.

> However the site says The words ‘London 2012’ and ‘2012’ are not to be
                    > used
                    >
                    > Does this mean that every company who make a diary, calendar which lists
                    > the year 2012 is risking litigation?

No, not at all. 2012 is fine, but it cannot be used in combination with
                    any of the following: London, games, medals, sponsors, summer, gold,
                    silver, or bronze. The ban on summer 2012 sounds a bit ludicrous, but
                    the others make sense.

However, the PDF gives an example of where 2012 and sponsors is fine:
                    "Gascorp 13-16 March 2012: Official Sponsors of the 2012 UK
                    Championships". In other words, a legitimate event that has nothing to
                    do with the Olympics, and doesn't attempt to make a link with them.

> The Olympics are of course a majour event and attracts large amounts of
                    > sponsership but it seems that the small local business is being
                    > prevented from participating. How are Web designers in the US and
                    > elsewhere going to cope with this legislation??

As always, there will be violations galore. Since many US corporations
                    will also be sponsoring the Olympics, I'm sure they'll put pressure on
                    hosting companies to block blatant breach of copyright. On the other
                    hand, web designers in the US aren't likely to have anywhere near the
                    same interest in promoting the Olympics in London.

I suggest you take a look at this:

http://www.london2012.com/documents/brand-guidelines/guidelines-for-business-use.pdf

--
                    David Powers, Adobe Community Expert
                    Author, "The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver CS3" (friends of ED)
                    Author, "PHP Solutions" (friends of ED)
                    http://foundationphp.com/
                    • 7. Re: copyright
                      Level 7
                      Ian Edwards posted in macromedia.dreamweaver:

> Hi
                      >
                      > Ok I know this may seem a bit of a rant but here in the UK the
                      > approach of 2012 is anticipated with pleasure.

Yipes!

[snip]

> Olympics

Oh, Olympics. For a minute, I thought you were talking about the Mayan
                      calendar. Whew! :->

--
                      Mark A. Boyd
                      Keep-On-Learnin' :)