27 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2009 11:41 AM by Jim_Simon

Capture SD Video in Premire pro CS4

maxient

Hello Guys!

Please can anyone help and guide me here, i am having difficulties capturing SD video from my JVC GR-HD1 Camera,

I recorded in SD video mode but while capturing in Premiere CS4 I got just only 2 options, HDV and DV, the camera control works just fine and plays the video on the camera screen but on the capturing window the set in time counter counts but the screen is blank and no image showing

please you help will be highly appreciated... thanks!

• 1. Re: Capture SD Video in Premire pro CS4
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Check the camera manual for the correct settings.

• 2. Re: Capture SD Video in Premire pro CS4
            Jim_Simon Level 8

To elaborate on Harm's suggestion, HDV cameras often have to be manually changed between HDV output and DV output.   Make sure yours is set up for DV out.

• 3. Re: Capture SD Video in Premire pro CS4
              maxient Level 1

Actually i had tried all that, from switching the camera to ILink  and MPEG to HDV- DV- SD and any button that has to do with Format mode on the Camera

I can't say for sure if the Camera is faulty cause it was a new camera, of course I captured the movie i recorded on DV mode but can't capture SD recorded, yes i downloaded the Camera manuals but that did not mention much about the use of Premiere Pro 

• 4. Re: Capture SD Video in Premire pro CS4
                Jim_Simon Level 8

of course I captured the movie i recorded on DV mode but can't capture SD recorded

I don't understand that sentence.

• 5. Re: Capture SD Video in Premire pro CS4
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

You are not making much sense to me.

I can't say for sure if the Camera is faulty cause it was a new camera, of course I captured the movie i recorded on DV mode but can't capture SD recorded, yes i downloaded the Camera manuals but that did not mention much about the use of Premiere Pro 

Don't they deliver a new camera with a manual anymore, do you need to download first? Weird. You captured the movie, so where is it now? What do you mean with capture SD recorded? Of course there is no mention of PR in their manual.

We are not mind readers. You have to be very clear, explicit and detailed for us to make any sense of the problem. However, from the way you state your problem, it may be worthwhile to start reading about video, NLE in general and PR specifically.

• 6. Re: Capture SD Video in Premire pro CS4
                    don solomon Level 1

I don't know that particular camera, but a many have a DV In or Out setting, either via a button or the menu (most likely place) that has to be set to DV Out in order to capture.  What does your manual say about that?  And/or have you seen that menu item, or set it.  Just  a guess on my part.

• 7. Re: Capture SD Video in Premire pro CS4
                      maxient Level 1

Mr. Harm,

I apologies if you think I am here to take anyone for a ride, the truth is that I want to learn and I would be happy if people that recognize that all fingers are not equal and respect that to guide me through, because I believe in the know how of people that post messages on this board I humbly seek their guidance, but to clear you..., Currently I reside in Korea and 95% of Electronics sold in Korea comes in Korea language manuals and Software,

so you can see the reason why I downloaded the camera manual in English.

Secondly I have used the very camera quite a few times but I used to record on DV mode (file format: AVI) which I never had any problem capturing and working with, but this time I decided to record on  SD mode (file format: MPEG) which is more clear.

Now the problem is that when I tried to Capture the recorded file in PR, no images will be captured but the camera control from PR works just fine, the very movie that I want to Capture plays on the Camera screen but can't play inside PR.

I gladly appreciates every effort all you guys are making to guide people like us, remembering that life is a continuous learning process so no amount of thanks that could be enough.

• 8. Re: Capture SD Video in Premire pro CS4
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

I said it before:

We are not mind readers. You have to be very clear, explicit and detailed for us to make any sense of the problem.

• 9. Re: Capture SD Video in Premire pro CS4
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

I decided to record on  SD mode (file format: MPEG)

That's the likely problem.  For standard definition, continue to use only DV.

• 10. Re: Capture SD Video in Premire pro CS4
                            maxient Level 1

Thanks for your understanding, finally I found someone who has a listening ear, alright i will continue with the DV mode that I can use but  if you find any clue please kindly post it here, I am sure a lot of people are facing this same problem,

Also I'd like to record with SD mode cause it was really more clear                          

Once again THANK YOU! and remain Blessed.

• 11. Re: Capture SD Video in Premire pro CS4
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

I am sure a lot of people are facing this same problem

Correct.  Which is why the recommendation is to use tape-based MiniDV for standard definition editing.

• 12. Re: Capture SD Video in Premire pro CS4
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

We are only starting, we are just getting to post # 12, so maybe the OP intended to say that he tried to transfer files (not capturing) from an SD CARD, not a Standard Definition recording and used some HD similar codec. Well, we can go on to post # 50 or beyond before the details become less murky. He may be one of the few posters that realizes his question is not URGENT. Otherwise he would have been more forthcoming with the requested details.

• 13. Re: Capture SD Video in Premire pro CS4
                                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi,

i do not own such a camera but from what i have gathered the SD mode (which being 720p) can be up-convert the output to 1080i with the built-in format converter.

Check your manual how to set your camera up in this way, then you will probably be able to capture with firewire in a hdv setting.

• 14. Re: Capture SD Video in Premire pro CS4
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

That is what was suggested in #1.

• 15. Re: Capture SD Video in Premire pro CS4
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

the SD mode (which being 720p)

That would indeed be confusing if a camera maker labeled one of their High Definition recording modes as "SD".

• 16. Re: Capture SD Video in Premire pro CS4
                                        maxient Level 1

Mr Harm..,   

I saw a lot of other people asking questions about different issues including that of SD, but why do you have to pick a lot more interest in what I didn't know? If your being here is to engage people to talk impolite or to insinuate insult then you probably picked the wrong guy,stop confusing others that might offer a solution to my question, I will respond to you just this one time unless you behave yourself as matured as I thought you could be.

• 18. Re: Capture SD Video in Premire pro CS4
                                          Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm starting to see where the issue might lie.  The JVC can record in three modes, two SD modes (480i, 480p) and one HD mode (720p).  The 480i mode is standard DV, and should work fine.  The 480p mode is MPEG, and may not work at all.  The 720p mode is one flavor of HDV, and will probably work fine.

I'm guessing the OP is trying to edit the 480p stuff.

• 19. Re: Capture SD Video in Premire pro CS4
                                            don solomon Level 1

Maxient,

The problem is that you have not given either enough or accurate information, and compounding that you cannot expect that there will be many here who know your camera well and have faced a similar issue. Have you tried a forum where that camera and editing with  it might be discussed.

Importantly, the fact that you are not a native speaker of English--and have a very considerable problem with writing it-- means that it is very hard to decipher with any precision just what you mean at times. You are using terms that have multiple meanings, such as SD.  And the general terms you use are often very imprecise, simply because you do not yet have an adequate English vocabulary for technical discussion with preciseness.

Don't take any of this as an insult.  It is simply the case.  And until you can get more clarity, context, and coherence into your request--with more precise information, you really cannot expect the level of help you no doubt expect, which undoubtedly is frustrating to you.

• 20. Re: Capture SD Video in Premire pro CS4
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

I'd say that you probably nailed it.

The attachment of the manual is good. So often, users on the forum will go the camera mfgr's Web site, where even their spec. tab will yield insufficient data. This is especially true if one does not own said camera. Also, many camera mfgrs will use terms pretty loosely, and never give full details. This can get confusing in a hurry. Add in a few acronyms and people can become hopelessly lost, especially if "SD" means one thing to one, and something completely different to another.

Good detective work,

Hunt

• 21. Re: Capture SD Video in Premire pro CS4
                                                maxient Level 1

Jim & Don,

Thank you guys...., and Jim I'm glad you are beginning to understand the issue, actually I never had a problem using the Camera not until I used the SD mode on the camera to record, just only that I can't get the clips into Premiere CS4 but it plays within the Camera,

the camera manual simply mentioned how to set and record on SD mode, but the i-link output instruction did not get it to work with premiere CS4

I thought I should forget about this post, but for few of you with good hearts keeps encouraging me, so thank you.

• 22. Re: Capture SD Video in Premire pro CS4
                                                  Runamok_USA
                                                  Jun 17, 2009
                                                  Re: Capture SD Video in Premire pro CS4

Mr Harm..,   

I saw a lot of other people asking questions about different issues including that of SD, but why do you have to pick a lot more interest in what I didn't know? If your being here is to engage people to talk impolite or to insinuate insult then you probably picked the wrong guy,stop confusing others that might offer a solution to my question, I will respond to you just this one time unless you behave yourself as matured as I thought you could be

Well Said Maxient......

• 23. Re: Capture SD Video in Premire pro CS4
                                                    Phil Griffith Level 2

Actually, I think that the opposite is the problem. If a person doesn't communicate the details, then it's just a guessing game. And for most everybody, it's just not a fun game anymore. You can't take your car in to the shop and tell them the wheels don't move anymore.

• 24. Re: Capture SD Video in Premire pro CS4
                                                      don solomon Level 1

Excellent analogy.  Unfortunately, there are endless 'the wheels don't move on my car' pleas for help here recently, resulting even more unfortunately in protracted interrogation of the poster by those who are offering help.  That really takes the incentive out of wanting to help.  What really gets me is the attitude of some posters who resent being told that they are not being informative enough to begin with, or that they ought to at least learn something about PPRO and/or editing, never mind read the manual or search the forum first.

Maxient was way over the top with his remarks to Harm, who bends over backwards to help users here. Hi reputation for participation and quality help is simply unassailable.  He has every right to push the 'information first' requirement.

• 25. Re: Capture SD Video in Premire pro CS4
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Phil,

I see your analogy. The one benefit that the "shop" will have is that the auto is there to inspect. In the case of the forum, none of us has the OP's machine, only their reports and observations. It's like the communication with that shop is via FAX.

Hunt

• 26. Re: Capture SD Video in Premire pro CS4
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I’ve yet to understand the reticence of some posters to give details. Sure, I understand looming deadlines, frustration and the fear that something is horribly broken. It happens to all of us at some time. Also, there can be the lack of understanding of the specifics of one’s computer, their software and even the commonly accepted terms to communicate what they do know.

Many also feel that the problem could never be with some aspect, like the system, or with the Assets, because the computer works with other programs well, is the latest specs., etc., and the Assets have worked in other Projects. Still, giving the forum the info is always better, even if one KNOWS in their heart and head, that it cannot be a system-related problem.

I applaud Harm Millard, Eddie Lotter, John T. Smith, and others, for furnishing worksheets and forms to get the necessary info and tell the posters how to provide it.

I just urge all posters with problems to read these and just obtain the data and then furnish it. Saves everyone time and usually yields a positive result.

Hunt

• 27. Re: Capture SD Video in Premire pro CS4
                                                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                            I’ve yet to understand the reticence of some posters to give details.

More likely it's not reticence, but ignorance.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Plenty of people who lack the appropriate education and experieince, and hence have no business doing this job, will nonetheless give it a go simply because the hardware and software have become more affordable.