10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2009 8:53 AM by Colin Brougham

can't import MPG after uninstalling and reinstalling Pr

Tomchook Level 1

I had to uninstall Pr. I also used WinCS4Cleanupscript and wincs3clean, so I could have a clean fresh install. After I reinstalled, I opened one of my recent projects, but it could not assoicate the videos. I tried to import them again, and also to re-encode and then import, but still it can't load the MPG files. This is the message I get:

unsupported.jpg

It can't be damaged since I'm able to play these files in other players, and actually no change were made in them.. The only change is the reinstalling of Pr. How can I fix this problem?...

• 1. Re: can't import MPG after uninstalling and reinstalling Pr
          Harm Millaard Level 7

What codec is used in the MPG? Use GSpot to find that. What do you mean by reencoding, with what to what?

• 2. Re: can't import MPG after uninstalling and reinstalling Pr
            Colin Brougham Level 6

I'm in the process of reinstalling the entire suite AGAIN because of this issue. I won't bore you with all of the details as to why and how it happened, but here's a couple of things to try:

1) Are the MPEG-based presets available when creating a new sequence? Do you have the HDV, XDCAM HD and XDCAM EX categories?

2) Search for a log file called "Importer Process Plugin Loading.log" in your PPro settings folder; I'm on Vista, so it's in "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Premiere Pro\4.0". Open it up with Notepad, and look for the ImporterFastMPEG.prm, ImporterMPEG.prm and ImporterXDCAMEX/HD.prm entries. Check for a message that says something about the modification date being different, so the plugin will be ignored.

Let me know what you find. With all of these issues with MPEG-type assets not importing after applying the update (though it doesn't seem to be a 100% across-the-board issue), I'm beginning to believe that Adobe somehow pooched the installer. What appears to be happening is that, even if you have a non-trial, totally legitimate copy of the software, something is flaky and suddenly you'll be relegate to "trial" status. The importers are all installed, but something in the registration/activation of the software is wonky. For me, it happened after the software was already installed and running fine!

I've reinstalled the entire Production Premium suite 6 times on two computers in the last week, because SOMETHING keeps going wrong. I'm REALLY tired of it.

• 3. Re: can't import MPG after uninstalling and reinstalling Pr
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Colin,

First, that's some great detective work.

Next, do you have any CS3 suite components installed on the same

system?  Did you uninstall any CS3 components after installing CS4?

Lastly, did you run any of the clean scripts in between uninstalling and

reinstalling?  I'd recommend not only the CS4 script, but the CS3 script

as well.

-Jeff

• 4. Re: can't import MPG after uninstalling and reinstalling Pr
                Colin Brougham Level 6

Hey Jeff,

No, no CS3 components. CS3 has never even been on this particular computer (my laptop), and I had just rebuilt it from the ground up to install VIsta SP2. The CS4 install was fresh, too. However, yesterday I tried opening Encore and it wouldn't launch... strange. For giggles, I uninstalled Encore (and its components) using the Programs and Features applet in Vista's Control Panel. I reinstalled Encore (and components) from the original install discs, and ran the updater. Everything installed fine, and Encore ran. Weirdly, many of the codecs in the Encore folder remained. I didn't think much of it.

Later yesterday, I opened Soundbooth and imported an MPEG file for transcribing. It imported, and promptly crashed. Bummer, but I wasn't too surprised. I figured I would try it in Premiere instead. No dice--MPEGs of any flavor wouldn't import, and all the MPEG-based sequence presets had vanished. That's when I started rooting around for the plugin and importer logs--I've tinkered with them before to get some effects plugins working that weren't being recognized by PPro, so I knew where to look. Sure enough, the error I mentioned previously was shown under all of the MPEG importer plugins--and the modified date of the aforementioned codecs was not matching what I'm sure the program was expecting.

I just finished wiping and reinstalling everything (even ran the Clean Scripts, but they said there was nothing to remove), and all seems well at the moment. I'm sure this is some sort of anti-piracy/protect-their-assets move by Adobe, but it's wreaking havoc because there's a bug somewhere in the process. Now, granted--with what happened in my particular case, it's somewhat understandable that I had issues, but I'm pretty sure that other people experiencing the MPEG import issue didn't go through this. Something's rotten in the state of Denmark...

I'm curious to hear from other folks having MPEG import issues, so hopefully we can steer Adobe in the right direction to get this fixed.

• 5. Re: can't import MPG after uninstalling and reinstalling Pr
                  Tomchook Level 1

Those are the presets I have:

presets.jpg

I'm also attaching the log file (I couldn't find ImporterFastMPEG.prm).

I tried to encode and rencode the MPEG file with TMPGEnc 4.0 Xpress.

I'm able to import WMV file, but obviously the frame rate control is very poor.. That's why I want to use MPEG files.

Please let me know if there is a solution!

• 6. Re: can't import MPG after uninstalling and reinstalling Pr
                    Tomchook Level 1

These are my available presents:

presets.jpg

I'm also attaching my log file, but I couldn't find ImporterFastMPEG.prm

I tried to encode and re-encode my file with TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress. After converting the file into WMV I can edit it in Pr, but obviously it's not the preferred format to edit with...

• 7. Re: can't import MPG after uninstalling and reinstalling Pr
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Yep, that's hosed:

presets.png

That's what you should have.

Check out this post for a possible resolution (wish this guy had posted a few hours ago )...

• 8. Re: can't import MPG after uninstalling and reinstalling Pr
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

You have suffered the same problem Colin alluded to. After installing the 4.1 update a number of people have apparently been thrown back to a trial version that lacks all MPEG support. The best and most secure way is to deactivate, uninstall, run the CleanScript utility 2 or 3 times and reinstall everything from CS4. It is cumbersome and how Adobe managed to let that slip by Quality Control I do not know, but it certainly should be VERY high on their priority list to get this fixed.

• 9. Re: can't import MPG after uninstalling and reinstalling Pr
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

Wow. That's weird. This is a fully-licensed copy of Premiere, and not a trial version? Because none of the MPEG importers are even registered in that log file...

• 10. Re: can't import MPG after uninstalling and reinstalling Pr
                            Colin Brougham Level 6

Couldn't agree more, Harm. There's no reason any of us should have to be doing this kind of QCing for a company with the resources like Adobe. That said, in the interest of showing our dear friends at Adobe where the issue lies, I hope more folks chime in with their difficulties in getting the update applied correctly.