9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2009 6:58 AM by the_wine_snob

PE Trial Version - sound problem

Totallytotal

Hi,

I downloaded the trail version of Premeire Elements recently and started to do some editing. I noticed that there is a watermark in the background which is ok. But I also find that when I play any movie in the time line or in the preview window there is a breakup of the sound.

What i mean is that there is sound, but there is a gap of 1 or 2 secs of sound and no sound. So if I play a captured movie of say 5-10 mins, I will have sound(2 sec), no sound(2sec), sound(2 sec), no sound(2sec) etc. Is this becuase I have a trial version or is there a problem.

What I dont want to do is buy the full version and find that i still have this problem.

cheers.

• 1. Re: PE Trial Version - sound problem
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Other than the Watermark, there is no other restriction on the Trial version.

There are a couple of settings for Audio (Edit>Preferences>Audio and Audio Hardware), but I'd suspect that the problem is more with your source files.

Please tell us about the source files. Where did they come from? How did you Import, or Capture them in PE? Have you tested with any "known good," Auido source files?

To find out all info on your source files, both Audio and Video, you can run them through the freeware progarm, G-Spot. It will tell you all that you need to know about the files. G-Spot will also Render and play your files, including the Audio. Look for the little boxes with numbers in them for both Video and Audio. Step through the Rendering and then you'll get a built-in player. Test the files there.

G-Spot Screen 01.jpg

Good luck, and let us know about those source files, please.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PE Trial Version - sound problem
            Totallytotal Level 1

Hi Hunt,

The files that I am using are .TOD files. I have a JVC camcorder which captures files in .TOD format.

I can use them to edit in Vista using Windows Movie Maker since it is able to read .TOD files without coverting them to .mpg.

I found that it is very limited and I needed a bit more flexibilty, so after doing a bit of research, I came across PE. I the beauty is that PE is able to read .TOD files without any problems unlike Premiere.

So, the .TOD files work perfectly in Movie Maker, but not in PE.

I hope you can shed more light on this now.

cheers.

• 3. Re: PE Trial Version - sound problem
              Paul_LS Level 4

Did you hit the Enter key on your keyboard to render the files? The red line above the clip in the timeline will turn green and the clips should probably play back fine.

• 4. Re: PE Trial Version - sound problem
                Totallytotal Level 1

No, i dont think I tried that.

What I did was, first copied all the relevant .TOD files from the camcorder to a folder in the video drive. Then imported the files from that folder into PE.

I see all the files that I am going to use on the right of the screen and a big window on the left. Before I add them to the timeline, I just dragged and dropped one of those imported files into the big window and pressed the play button. It plays showing the watermark and the choppy sound.

If I drag the footage to the timeline, it still does the same thing. I dont know if it is my hard drive that is too slow or what? It is a 7200rpm drive and the PE is installed on a 300GB Velociraptor 10K drive.

I will try and render a file and let you know.

I also get this message about a solid background - but I dont know what that means.

Cheers.

• 5. Re: PE Trial Version - sound problem
                  Paul_LS Level 4

Try rendering on the timeline... if there is a red line above the clip it will not playback smoothly and will drop the audio. After rendering it should playback without issue from the timeline.

Also, what project preset have you selected? You must chose a project preset that matches the format/frame size of yoru video. This is done at the start up screen... Chnage Settings when you select New Project.

The solid background message arises because the background to your video has a "solid" colour which can be "keyed out"... ie made transparent. In this way you can replace the background with another clip/photo.

• 6. Re: PE Trial Version - sound problem
                    Totallytotal Level 1

Hi Paul,

I was going to do some testing for you today, but you wont believe it. I have now run out of the Trial period. So its either a re-install or buy-it situation.

So, I will try to reinstall and see if I get the same problems again and let you know the results.

Thanks

• 7. Re: PE Trial Version - sound problem
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Actually, reinstalling will be a waste of time, as the trial version writes a bit of code to the system to preclude this. As Adobe offers a 30-day, money back guarantee on the software, you can buy and continue to try it. I'd suggest doing the purchase from the Adobe Store, as it will make getting one's money back a bit easier, than having to go through a re-seller. It just saves a step, or two.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: PE Trial Version - sound problem
                        Paul_LS Level 4

You wont be able to re-install the trial on the same computer as the 30-day limit will prevent it running. Do you have a second computer?

• 9. Re: PE Trial Version - sound problem
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

For TOD & MOD files, you might get some useful info from this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt