18 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2009 7:23 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 7 crashes on startup

dzcues

Hi,

I upgraded my computer within the past month: Intel Core 2 Quad 3Ghz with Vista.  4G RAM and plenty of hard drive space.

My old Elements 2(?) wouldn't work so I bought the latest version.  It worked twice for editing previously recorded videos but now it crashes when I try to open it.  Error message says "Adobe Premiere Elements.exe has stopped working.  A problem caused the program to stop working.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

I went through the FAQs, defragged, checked for latest drivers (which were up to date), ran windows updates, installed latest iTunes & QT.  No good.  I uninstalled PE7 & reinstalled it.  No help.

I don't know where to go from here.  Please help.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes on startup
          Kodebuster Level 3

Kindly elaborate on when exactly the failure occurs.

Is it during the starting of PE7 before you load your Project, or when you try and load your Project.

Where exactly it happens will allow folks to better help you...

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes on startup
            dzcues Level 1

The program opens, gives me the choice of opening an existing project or a new one.  It doesn't matter which I choose.  The screen goes gray for 10 seconds, then darker gray for about the same length of time, then the user interface opens & immediately the error message appears.  Attached gif shows what I see within seconds of the interface opening.

The first two times I used the program, it worked fine.  I was disappointed to see no option to save in .wmv format but this is progress, I guess.

Hope this helps.  Thanks.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes on startup
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'd recommend a call to Adobe Tech Support.

They'll be able to walk you through some troubleshooting steps and diagnose your problem. You seem to have addressed all the obvious possibilities.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes on startup
                dzcues Level 1

Thank you.

...Bob

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes on startup
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I'd also look to Event Viewer for some clues. Check the yellow warning messages and the red error messages in both the System and the Application tabs. Follow any links provided. Some of these error messages can be horribly cryptic, but some will lead you right to the problem.

Event Viewer 01.jpg

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes on startup
                    dzcues Level 1

To Mr Grisetti: If I'm deciphering the support information correctly, I have to purchase a support plan to be eligible for phone support.  Unfortunately, the support plan costs double what Premiere Elements cost.  So much for that avenue.

To Wine-Snob:  Event viewer gave me a bunch of info that means nothing to me.  I've attached the information from the 1000 & the 1001 error messages.  Maybe it will help point to my problem?

Thanks again for the assistance.

...Bob

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes on startup

Nope. There's free tech support for most issues in Premiere Elements. At least for the current version.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/414984?tstart=0

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes on startup
                        Kodebuster Level 3

I don't see an attachment on your post for the 1000/1001 err mesage.

What you can do to simplfy the Event View is Clear or Clear/Save the log file, this will clean up the view.

Do this for (at least) the Application and System messages.

Then force the error and see what (if anything) is generated with a timestamp (of when the error was forced).

If you continue to drill down on any given Event (by just double-clicking on it), it will eventually provide a MS web link to the Error with detailed explainations (and possible solutions)...

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes on startup
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, with some of the warnings and error messages, the results are worse than the Di Vinci Code. Even MS programers do not know what much of it means. However, one often will get great clues, especially from following the links, when they are provided.

I'm with Kodebuster, as I did not see a screen-cap with this post. I also recommend clearing the Event Viewer, and then "inducing" the error. Then you know that what you are seeing applies to that crash.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes on startup
                            dzcues Level 1

Don't know why the attachment isn't there.  When I posted my reply it showed the txt file as "on queue".  I'll try again.

Bob

PS     links provided were of no help to me but that's not saying much.

PPS     attachment still queued so I'll just paste both here:

Log Name:      Application
                            Source:        Application Error
                            Date:          6/9/2009 11:41:19 PM
                            Event ID:      1000
                            Task Category: (100)
                            Level:         Error
                            Keywords:      Classic
                            User:          N/A
                            Computer:      User-PC
                            Description:
                            Faulting application Adobe Premiere Elements.exe, version 7.0.0.0, time stamp 0x48cee0db, faulting module MediaLayer.dll, version 7.0.0.0, time stamp 0x48ced19b, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00343978, process id 0xd7c, application start time 0x01c9e97d41b5a6c7.
                            Event Xml:
                            <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
                              <System>
                                <Provider Name="Application Error" />
                                <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
                                <Level>2</Level>
                                <Task>100</Task>
                                <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
                                <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-06-10T03:41:19.000Z" />
                                <EventRecordID>2771</EventRecordID>
                                <Channel>Application</Channel>
                                <Computer>User-PC</Computer>
                                <Security />
                              </System>
                              <EventData>
                                <Data>Adobe Premiere Elements.exe</Data>
                                <Data>7.0.0.0</Data>
                                <Data>48cee0db</Data>
                                <Data>MediaLayer.dll</Data>
                                <Data>7.0.0.0</Data>
                                <Data>48ced19b</Data>
                                <Data>c0000005</Data>
                                <Data>00343978</Data>
                                <Data>d7c</Data>
                                <Data>01c9e97d41b5a6c7</Data>
                              </EventData>
                            </Event>

====================================================

Log Name:      Application
                            Source:        Windows Error Reporting
                            Date:          6/9/2009 11:41:24 PM
                            Event ID:      1001
                            Task Category: None
                            Level:         Information
                            Keywords:      Classic
                            User:          N/A
                            Computer:      User-PC
                            Description:
                            Fault bucket 950994297, type 1
                            Event Name: APPCRASH
                            Response: None
                            Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
                            P1: Adobe Premiere Elements.exe
                            P2: 7.0.0.0
                            P3: 48cee0db
                            P4: MediaLayer.dll
                            P5: 7.0.0.0
                            P6: 48ced19b
                            P7: c0000005
                            P8: 00343978
                            P9:
                            P10:

Attached files:
                            C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\WER63FF.tmp.version.txt

These files may be available here:
                            C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Report130277dd
                            Event Xml:
                            <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
                              <System>
                                <Provider Name="Windows Error Reporting" />
                                <EventID Qualifiers="0">1001</EventID>
                                <Level>4</Level>
                                <Task>0</Task>
                                <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
                                <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-06-10T03:41:24.000Z" />
                                <EventRecordID>2772</EventRecordID>
                                <Channel>Application</Channel>
                                <Computer>User-PC</Computer>
                                <Security />
                              </System>
                              <EventData>
                                <Data>950994297</Data>
                                <Data>1</Data>
                                <Data>APPCRASH</Data>
                                <Data>None</Data>
                                <Data>0</Data>
                                <Data>Adobe Premiere Elements.exe</Data>
                                <Data>7.0.0.0</Data>
                                <Data>48cee0db</Data>
                                <Data>MediaLayer.dll</Data>
                                <Data>7.0.0.0</Data>
                                <Data>48ced19b</Data>
                                <Data>c0000005</Data>
                                <Data>00343978</Data>
                                <Data>
                                </Data>
                                <Data>
                                </Data>
                                <Data>
                            C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\WER63FF.tmp.version.txt</Data>
                                <Data>C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Report130277dd</Dat a>
                              </EventData>
                            </Event>

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes on startup

Have you contacted Adobe Tech Support yet? It can be very difficult to work through this kind of troubleshooting on a forum like this.

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes on startup
                                dzcues Level 1

No.  I still haven't found a phone number that didn't require a service plan.

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes on startup
                                  dzcues Level 1

I found a number but I'm told that a support plan is required or at least a 1 time support plan must be purchased for phone help.  I'm reluctant to throw good money after bad.  I'm thoroughly disappointed in my purchase.  I've spent about 5 days of my spare time trying different options but I have to get on with my life.  I'm not a computer tech guy so this is doubly difficult for me.

Do you know anyone interested in buying a seat of Premiere Elements 7 for a good price?

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes on startup

No, I've got a copy. And mine works virtually bug-free. Sorry.

Meantime, I've got a call into a Adobe to see about their tech support policy. Unless they've changed it -- and despite what it says on the site -- they offered tech support free for "reasonable" issues. And this certainly qualifies.

Although it also sounds like you've given up on the program. Which, in your case, is understandable. It's obviously not a good match for your system or workflow.

For stability, Sony Vegas MovieStudio is comparable and rarely has performance problems. Although there are some limitations with it that I don't like.

And Mac, using Final Cut Express, is also an option -- though an iMac with Final Cut Express can cost well over $1500. Even still, I use one as my second gun and, though the learning curve is a bit steeper for Final Cut, it definitely is a smoother ride. Particularly editing AVCHD and HDV.

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes on startup
                                      dzcues Level 1

The problem is...it's difficult to be reasonable with a voicemail system.  Everything is black & white.  There are no shades of gray.

I decided to get rid of Vista and switch back to XP Pro.  That should allow me to work with PE7 without any problems.  Actually, there are several other programs I'm using that don't work with Vista.  I realize that Vista is half my problem but you'd think that software developers would have the bugs worked out so everything is compatible in their newest versions.

Thanks for your patience.  I'll keep you posted when the switch is made & how it works out.

Bob

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes on startup
                                        dzcues Level 1

Well, I dumped Vista & went back to XP Pro.  PE7 worked 2 or 3 times - just like before.  Then I tried to edit a wide screen .wmv file & I now get the same error message every time I start up the program - exactly like before.  Apparently it isn't the operating system.  Again, all my drivers are updated, QT is latest version, etc.

One thing I do notice is that it doesnt' matter if I try to open an existing project or start a new one, when the GUI opens, I can see the thumbnail of the .wmv file in the "get media" tray, like I'm opening an existing project.  I blew out all my caches & temp files relating to any PE7 projects but the thumbnail appears, then within 5 seconds, the error message appears.

FWIW, I have an old version of Intervideo WinDVD Creator that works fine except it won't output to wide screen.  I tried to edit the offending .wmv file above & it handled it perfectly except the output was standard 4:3 size.

And I still can't find a free support phone number.

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes on startup
                                          dzcues Level 1

YESSSS!  I figured it out - no thanks to Adobe.  I spent several HOURS on hold, botched call transfers, etc and accomplished absolutely nothing.  They even transferred me to a Ford dealership one time accidently (??)  I wonder if it was an accident because it was approaching 6pm - their quitting time.

Anyway, after removing & replacing every single audio & video codec, updating all video & audio drivers, QT, iTunes, etc to no avail, I wondered if the wmv file I was trying to edit was corrupt.  It appeared on the splash screen whenever PE7 tried to load, even though I would click on NEW PROJECT.  But I couldn't figure out how to remove it from the media tray because PE7 would crash before I could do anything.  I wasn't exactly sure which wmv file was the offensive one but I knew what folder it was in.

I renamed the folder & moved it to a new location.  When I tried to open PE7 the next time, the bad file had circular arrows in it - apparently meaning the file couldn't be found - and SUCCESS!...PE7 now works fine.

Thanks to those who originally tried to help.  You can add this to your repertoire of fixes.

• 18. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes on startup
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that you got it sorted out, and thanks for reporting.

As I have said in many threads and on myriad Adobe boards, the problems fall into this list:

1.) System

2.) Assets

3.) Project

4.) Real Bugs, though way down the list

This is also the way that I approach trouble shooting remotely, and in this order. While it does not cover every possible base, the vast majority of instances fall within the list and in this order.

Good luck,

Hunt