9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2009 6:58 PM by kglad

gotoAndPlay is not smooth-help

roobp

hi all, im new at this so please excuse me if my problem is too simple to fix. I do have a client who is on a deadline tho.

I have imported a flv file made in after effects, plays smooth there no probs. I need it to resume playback at the end from frame 708. I have the following action placed on a second layer on a keyframe:

import flash.display.MovieClip;
      this.gotoAndPlay(708);

• 1. Re: gotoAndPlay is not smooth-help
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

what happens after the timeline goes to and starts playing from frame 708?

• 2. Re: gotoAndPlay is not smooth-help
            roobp Level 1

the animation continues then on, but the jump from the last frame to 708 is not smooth. There is a slight pause in there somewhere and i dont have any other code anywhere.

• 3. Re: gotoAndPlay is not smooth-help
              roobp Level 1

i just realized why you were asking me what happened, it seems my original post did not appear intact not sure why, the message got truncated..

I had included at the end of mypost that I also tried to just put gotoAndPlay(708) on the last frame, but that gives me the same result.

I do appreciate any feedback and help I can get on this.

• 4. Re: gotoAndPlay is not smooth-help

you may be able to work around your problem but when you import video to the flash timeline, you lose a lot.  relevant to your situation, i don't believe the video is tightly bound to the timeline.  ie, the last image in the video may play before or after the last timeline frame plays.

to test, add a new layer.  just above, what appears to be the last video frame, add a keyframe and attach:

trace(getTimer());

this should be the same frame you have your gotoAndPlay(708).

then in frame 708, attach:

trace(getTimer())

• 5. Re: gotoAndPlay is not smooth-help
                  roobp Level 1

kglad thank you for your prompt replies.

I followed your instructions and when i test or publish the output panel opens up returning some numbers, often in pairs, often matching but often not. Not sure what Im looking at here or what these numbers mean. I checked the last frame in AE and it seems as tho it matches the last frame in flash. Any thoughts?

• 6. Re: gotoAndPlay is not smooth-help
                    roobp57

im starting to get the feeling that this is an issue with the flv format. I tried importing quicktime into flash and it refused to import unless it was encoded as flv. Anyone else come across this problem?

• 7. Re: gotoAndPlay is not smooth-help

the trace messages show the time in milliseconds when the last frame of the video timeline plays and it shows the same thing when frame 708 plays.  if those are virtually the same, then there's virtually no gap between those two frames playing.

then the question is, do you see the video finish before those numbers appear?

• 8. Re: gotoAndPlay is not smooth-help
                        roobp57 Level 1

you know I think u just solved it, donno why i didnt notice it all this time. For some strange reason flash keeps inserting an extra frame in the timeline, in which the animated image is still. I deleted the frame, then it was just a matter of matching the frames to make the loop believable. Thank you so much for your help.

• 9. Re: gotoAndPlay is not smooth-help

you're welcome.