11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2010 6:45 AM by zyborgian

Timeline Issues

xianxou Level 1

I can't scroll to the right in the timeline. Am I the only one with this problem?

• 1. Re: Timeline Issues
          Tvoliter Adobe Employee

This is a current limitation in the beta build that will be fixed in an upcoming beta.

Currently the horizontal scrollbar is not present in the timeline. You can work around this problem a bit by zooming out using the zoom slider in the timeline. This workaround doesn't let you see really long timelines however.

- Ty

• 2. Re: Timeline Issues

and here i thought you were only giving us 6 seconds to work transitions

good to know

• 3. Re: Timeline Issues
              zyborgian

I'm using the released version of Catalyst (v 1.0.0.273393) and I still cannot scroll in the timeline.  I can scale the view, but this still limits my view to about 30 seconds.  Is there some secret key combination that will let me see events further along my timeline?  I've looked at many tutorials, but I can't seem to find any way to do this.

• 4. Re: Timeline Issues
                Ray Wandling

I had the same problem with the 30-second time limit for actions, but it seems no one has provided an answer for it yet. I would have thought Adobe would have responded by now.

What was worse, I created a nice series of actions in the timeline yesterday and saved the file, but when I opened it again today, none of my actions had been saved !!!!    Has anyone else found that Flash Catalyst does not save your timeline actions?  Is there something else I have to do to save them besides saving the file itself?

• 5. Re: Timeline Issues
                  Tanya Heins-2I5OoU Level 3

Hi

What version of Flash Catalyst are you using?   I've not had an issue with seeing the timeline or saving transitions/actions.  I did need to discover the control to scale the timeline    See image.

Screen shot 2010-07-17 at 6.52.47 AM.png

Tanya

• 6. Re: Timeline Issues
                    Ray Wandling Level 1

Putting aside the time limit issue for now (I am using the current version of Flash Catalyst CS5, and I know about the scale at the bottom of the timeline) ...
                    I think I must have inadvertently tricked the application, and then it turned around and tricked me back. I started working with State Transitions, but then I discovered that they only play one time, whereas I was trying to create a repeating animation. I had created 2 or 3 states with several transitions between them. Then I deleted all but one state, but somehow I was able to keep the actions I had created even though they were no longer associated with either a State Transition or an Interaction. I am speculating that is why none of the actions were saved with the file, even though they worked just fine when tested in the timeline. I have not been able to replicate the exact steps I took originally, so I don't know for sure what really transpired.  However, I thought it might be helpful to describe my experience in case someone else encounters the same situation.
                    Anyway, as I mentioned, I was trying to create an animation that plays automatically when the home page loads, cycling through a series of images and text descriptions, like so many websites do these days.  Therefore...
                    1. It seems that the program will not let you create a repeating animation within a single state that just plays automatically when the page loads, is that correct? 
                    2. The only way to create and save an animation is by creating it within an Interaction or a State Transition, both of which require a click event, rollover, etc., is that correct?
                    3. Is there any way within Flash Catalyst to create an animation that plays automatically when the home page loads and repeats continually until you click to another page?

• 7. Re: Timeline Issues
                      Tanya Heins-2I5OoU Level 3

Anyway, as I mentioned, I was trying to create an animation that plays automatically when the home page loads, cycling through a series of images and text descriptions, like so many websites do these days.  Therefore...
                      1. It seems that the program will not let you create a repeating animation within a single state that just plays automatically when the page loads, is that correct? 
                      2. The only way to create and save an animation is by creating it within an Interaction or a State Transition, both of which require a click event, rollover, etc., is that correct?
                      3. Is there any way within Flash Catalyst to create an animation that plays automatically when the home page loads and repeats continually until you click to another page?

Re. 1.

You can create an action sequence that plays automatically when someone loads the page. To create an On Application Start interaction, make sure that nothing is selected in the artboard when you click Add Interaction. The actions you define occur as soon as the application starts.

Re. 2

Actions (move, resize, rotate, sound effects etc.) happen through transitions.  If you're looking for more complicated animations, you could always bring in a flv/swf created in Flash.

Re. 3

I would suggest importing a flv with the animation you require (if it's more complicated that Flash Catalyst can handle) or you could create a custom component (if it's a series of transitions from one state to another), and then using the on Application Start interaction to trigger it.  If you're using an flv you can set the flv to loop.

This help page and discussion thread may be of help:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/flashcatalyst/cs/using/WS4bebcd66a74275c3-326fcb5212 3816c0204-7ff0.html

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/639523?tstart=0

Hope this helps.

Tanya

• 8. Re: Timeline Issues
                        Ray Wandling Level 1

Tanya, thanks so much for your response. I had not investigated the Interactions thoroughly enough because I did not see the On Application Start option...  I suppose I always had an object selected and therefore it did not appear.

• 9. Re: Timeline Issues
                          zyborgian Level 1

Regarding the looping, I was able to do something similar to what Tanya suggested by using a small video clip.  I recorded 10 seconds of video using my webcam.  I saved it at a very low resolution, so the video size was very small.  I made the video 100% transparentI then set the animation to play "on Application Load". I set an interaction to the "on video play complete" trigger.  By using videos of various lengths I was able to simulate a timer control. 

As for the length of the timeline, I am running the latest CS5 release version and I am aware of the scaling slider, but it does not let me scale it enough.  If I set the slider all the way to the left, and I had a high resolution monitor and I stretched out my window as far as it could go, I would be able to just barely see 73 seconds.  That is not even a minute and a half.  Worse still, I set an action at the 60 second mark and then opened that project on a different computer that did not have such great display resolution.  I now found that the most I could see was about 45 seconds, so I had no way of accessing the event I had placed at 60 seconds until I got back to my 1920 x 1280 display.  Ridiculous.

• 10. Re: Timeline Issues
                            Tvoliter Adobe Employee

Hi Zyborgian,

The timeline in Fc 1.0 doesn't support horizontal scrolling. As you have discovered you can zoom out, but you are limited to about 30 secs depending on the size of your display. We realize this limitation is painful and it will be fixed in the next version of Catalyst with a horizontal scrollbar.

Ty

• 11. Re: Timeline Issues
                              zyborgian Level 1

Glad to hear it.  I must say that for the most part I've been really enjoying Catalyst and I am looking forward to the next release.  Keep up the good work!