I haven't used the command line syntax (we're in the process of upgrading from RH6 to RH8, but looking at your post sparks the following thoughts:
1. What is the name of your WebHelp single source layout? If you created a custom WebHelp SSL or renamed the WebHelp SSL in your Projects tab > Single-source folder, I think the new layout name needs to be in the parens.
2. Did you actually add -l (WebHelp) at the end of the command line, or did you put it after rhcl? (i.e.
rhcl -l (WebHelp) "C:\ABC\123\Current\Help\Project1\Project1.xpj"
3. About the location of the WebHelp files to check in - the output files are generated to the folder that you designate in the WebHelp single source layout.
As a rule, RH experts recommend not checking generated help files into source control. However, I've been in the trenches on this automated build thing, and I understand that your FinalBuilder app needs to check them in so it can put the application package together.
This is much easier with the .chms, since there is one .chm per project. You can just overwrite the old .chm with the new .chm. However, there are lots and lots of output files in any single WebHelp output, and they tend to come and go as topics are added and deleted. This is why RoboHelp clears the designated output folder before creating any new output files when generating WebHelp - it's the only way to be sure that old unwanted files are gone.
I don't know what is the best way to do this, but I think that armed with this information, you and your FinalBuilder admins can work out the best way to manage this source control issue.
Good luck, and do post back with your solution - I'm especially interested in the "WebHelp results under source control" piece, since that's an issue I've run into myself in the past.
When you added the -l for another layout, did you specify the name of the webhelp ssl that you wanted to use?
If it's of any help, here's a command line that I use successfully. (It's for RH6; if you need to specify the rhcl path, you'll want to point to the appropriate RH folder.)
"C:\Program Files\Adobe\RoboHelp 6.0\RoboHTML\rhcl" C:\source_project_path\projname.xpj -l ssl_name -o C:\output_path\output_folder
I figured out my error - typing mistake on my part, d'oh!
It appears that FinalBuilder couldn't understand what I was trying to do because of the parentheses - the correct parameter is "-l webhelp", not "-l (webhelp)".
Makes sense, and I'm not sure where I got the idea that parentheses were involved, but once I entered things correctly, RoboHelp appears to get the right command.
We're still not building WebHelp yet, but that appears to be due to needing to apply a specific update/patch to our copy of RoboHelp. Once we get that resolved, I'll report further results.
Thanks for the output suggestion, I'll have to try it!