14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2009 6:33 PM by elrogg

Bad CS4.1 upgrade

elrogg Level 1

After upgrading to Premiere CS4.1 I now have a serious audio problem.  When I go to capture two channels of stereo, I only get one which seems to be a combination of the two and totally unusable.  If anyone knows how to uninstall this "upgrade" please let me know?"  I wasn't having any problems before.

• 1. Re: Bad CS4.1 upgrade
          Harm Millaard Level 7

You are the first to report this AFAIK. Not much anyone can suggest with all the lacking details. Can you explain EXACTLY what your source material is, how you captured from what camera with which sequence settings, etc.

If you need help quickly...Guideline for posting an effective question

• 2. Re: Bad CS4.1 upgrade
            elrogg Level 1

Thanks for responding so quickly.  I work for ABC News and I am using both BetaCam and XDCam.  The project is standard def DV NTSC with 2 tracks of stereo and 4 tracks of mono.  When I import XDCam I get four tracks of mono and all is good.  When I capture either XDCam through an R1 Deck or BetaCam through a Canopus I should get two tracks of stereo audio, but instead I now get one track which seems to be a combination of the two.  The really odd thing is that I have CS4 on two machines and this has happened to both of them, even though they are two very different laptops.

Thanks again for helping.

• 3. Re: Bad CS4.1 upgrade
              Harm Millaard Level 7

XDCAM does not give you any trouble, because you copy the material to hard disk and import. End of story for that.

Betacam is anolog, so you need something like the Canopus ADVC to convert to digital in order to ingest. Up to now this all makes perfect sense. Now you use Betacam that was recorded with 4 mono tracks, but UNFORTUNATELY, Canopus expects a single stereo track and behaves accordingly. Hence your problems. I am not familiar with Betacam, but what you may try is outputting from Beta as a single stero track and repeat that for the other audio tracks.

• 4. Re: Bad CS4.1 upgrade
                elrogg Level 1

Thanks for responding so quickly.  I work for ABC News, and I am using both Broadcast Beta Cam and XDCam.  When I capture through firewire (using both a Canopus and the XDCam R1 Deck)  I no longer get two stereo audio channels.  I get only one which seems to be a combination of them both.  (When I import the XDCam material instead of capturing it the audio is fine, four channels of mono audio).  I have two computers with CS4 and both now have this problem.  I'm thinking of uninstalling and reinstalling to see if that helps, but I would like to avoid that step if possible.  All of this material is Standard Def...not high def...and both sources are DV25.

• 5. Re: Bad CS4.1 upgrade
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Capturing over firewire only allows 1 single stereo feed. If you recorded more channels, you have to capture them separately.

• 6. Re: Bad CS4.1 upgrade
                    elrogg Level 1

I didn't explain this properly.  Sorry.  The Betacam has two stereo tracks and the canopus delivers two stereo tracks and up until I upgraded I got two stereo tracks.  Now suddenly I get one.  I'm thinking I should uninstall and reinstall and avoid that upgrade.

• 7. Re: Bad CS4.1 upgrade
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

The Betacam has two stereo tracks and the canopus delivers two stereo tracks and up until I upgraded I got two stereo tracks.

Just for clarity, when you say a stereo track, we assume you mean channels 1 and 2.  A second stereo pair would mean channels 3 and 4.  Are we on the same page here?

If so, part of our confusion is that Premiere has never been able to capture DV channels 3 and 4.  Other utilities have been required for that.

• 8. Re: Bad CS4.1 upgrade
                        elrogg Level 1

Right...there are two channels of audio...channel 1 and channel 2...after the upgrade, the file seems to be capturing ok, but when I go to drop it onto a timeline, it only sees channel 2...I'm beginning to think it is in the playback and not in the capturing.

• 9. Re: Bad CS4.1 upgrade
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

Right...there are two channels of audio...channel 1 and channel 2

See, there I'm still confused.  You say "right", but then only talk about 2 channels of audio.  I'm saying that your previous discussion up till now were talking about 4 channels of audio.

So are you talking about channel 1, 2, 3 and 4, or just the normal 1 and 2?

• 10. Re: Bad CS4.1 upgrade
                            elrogg Level 1

I'm sorry...I'm not explaining this well.  There are two channels of audio with the Betacam (I think I confused things by saying that moving XDCam files worked fine with it's 4 channels of audio---forget about the XDCam and the 4 channels of audio).

When I drop a two channel AVI onto the timeline I only get channel two.  I just tried it with a file that I have used previously and the timeline showed both channels then...now it only shows channel 2.

However, I just realized that my other computer with CS4 has not been upgraded and it has the same problem.  So it looks as though the upgrade is not the problem.  Could it be a Windows Update that did this???  I have ruled out hardware problems.

I'm am totally baffled.  Up until yesterday morning, everything worked fine.

• 11. Re: Bad CS4.1 upgrade
                              Eddie Lotter Level 4

There are several Adobe Tech Support documents dealing with audio problems.

Search this page using the keyword "audio" and look at each tech doc. One of them is likely to help you.

Cheers
                              Eddie

• 12. Re: Bad CS4.1 upgrade
                                elrogg Level 1

I think I solved it...thanks everyone for your help.

• 13. Re: Bad CS4.1 upgrade
                                  Eddie Lotter Level 4

If you wouldn't mind, please take a moment to post your possible solution so that others who happen upon this thread might benefit from it. Thanks.

Cheers
                                  Eddie

• 14. Re: Bad CS4.1 upgrade
                                    elrogg Level 1

I noticed that other audio (non Adobe) was also being combined so I uninstalled all of the audio drivers and reinstalled them, and the problem was gone.  I'm thinking that it was a Windows Upgrade that did it and not the Adobe upgrade, because once I figured it out what it was I realized that it had occured before the Adobe Upgrade.