10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2010 2:32 PM by yendor1966

view pdf thumbnails

margc44

using vista home, 64 bit; has ANYONE found a solution to this problem

pdf file in VIEW ICONS in windows explorer only show the pdf label, not the actual thumbnail.

i tried to REPAIR;  manually install program;  make sure that the check was off VIEW ONLY ICONS in folder option.

has anyone else solved this another way.  i need to view hundred of documents and now i have to open each one to see contents.

NEED HELP.

• 1. Re: view pdf thumbnails
          trailblazer15

we have the same problem i do hope somebody can help us with this one..

• 2. Re: view pdf thumbnails
            margc44 Level 1

open the reader program.

then

FILE - OPEN ( any folder with pdf files in it).   go to the top and change the VIEW to LARGE ICONS.

PRESTO - THEY ARE BACK!

• 3. Re: view pdf thumbnails
              yendor1966

I am pretty sure that the other posters are having this problem in windows explorer as I am as well.  Yah, you do get the thumbnail

preview directly within adobe reader but this isn't really a solution to the problem just a work around.

anyone else?

• 4. Re: no pdf thumbnails - Win7 & reader X
                cuyocksol

using windows 7 64-bit and latest Reader X still an issue - ridiculous!

• 5. Re: view pdf thumbnails
                  Kshakti Adobe Employee

Thumbnail view in PDF is not supported for 64-bit platforms.

It has support for 32-bit platforms as of now.

Thanks

• 6. Re: view pdf thumbnails
                    yendor1966 Level 1

I don't know if this will work in any O/S that is newer than XP professional but here is the "fix"

I found and am really surprised that the Adobe tech people didn't offer this as a work around.

Locate your SysWOW64 folder in your system folder(usually C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\ and locate

the file "explorer.exe".

Create a short cut of this file in the same folder, then go to the file properties of the short cut you just made

and then create a Shortcut Key to it, I used Cntrl + Alt + E.  You cannot use the default keyboard shortcut

which is Window Key + E as that is default for the standard windows explorer.

This will allow you to view thumbnail previews of pdf files.

Have fun!

• 7. Re: view pdf thumbnails - EASY FIX!
                      cuyocksol Level 1

Sorry, but I don't think this is true.

Someone else suggested something elsewhere on a forum which has easily solved the problem for me.

In the Adobe Reader program, select Open file, and when it opens a window to browse your documents, change the View option at the top to 'thumbnails'. Not only will it then show you thumbnails within the Reader program, but from then on it will also display thumbnails properly even without having started up Reader, ie. anytime you use Windows Explorer.

(Sorry, i'm describing this procedure from memory so forgive me if not 100% accurate, but anyway it is very easy to do, and only needs doing once.)

hurray!

• 8. Re: view pdf thumbnails - EASY FIX!
                        yendor1966 Level 1

I did forget to mention that you do need to add a switch to the target .exe which is "/separate" as shown

below.  And you will need to create a short cut onto your desktop so you can use it or add it to your start

program list.  You can also add a shortcut key as I did for eazy access.

But, this WILL  work as explained in the post and the suggestion you stated will only work in the adobe

ready file open program and does not propogate to windows explorer as you stated.

ScreenHunter_01 Dec. 06 17.56.jpg

• 9. Re: view pdf thumbnails - EASY FIX!
                          cuyocksol Level 1

so how come it's working for me now in Windows Explorer etc?

I didn't do any of that fancy messing around.

• 10. Re: view pdf thumbnails - EASY FIX!
                            yendor1966 Level 1

don't know, looks like you're the lucky one to get the easy fix where as the rest of us your solution does not work for

us.

So at least anyone but you can benefit from a solution that works for them....even if they have to "do that fancy messin around"