8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2009 1:07 AM by kashifMohd

Error updating Reader to 8.1.6

R.Lin

Is anyone else getting a version not found error while upgrading Adobe Reader 8.1.5 to 8.1.6? I've also tried updating 8.1.4 from an administrative installation point but I get the same error.

Below is the log from msiexec:

MSI (c) (B8:14) [17:27:42:550]: Final Patch Application Order:

MSI (c) (B8:14) [17:27:42:550]: Other Patches:

MSI (c) (B8:14) [17:27:42:550]: Unknown\Absent: {AC76BA86-7AD7-0000-2550-7A8C40000816} - C:\Temp\AdbeRdrUpd816_all_incr.msp

The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer an

d that you have the correct upgrade patch.

C:\WINDOWS\Installer\dc83.msi

MSI (c) (B8:14) [17:27:42:550]: Product: Adobe Reader 8.1.5 - Update '{AC76BA86-7AD7-0000-2550-7A8C40000816}' could not be installed. Error code 1642. Additional information is available in the log file C:\adobe.log.

MSI (c) (B8:14) [17:27:42:566]: Product: Adobe Reader 8.1.5 -- Installation failed.

• 1. Re: Error updating Reader to 8.1.6
          kashifMohd Level 2

If you are using AIP there is no need to update from 8.1.4/8.1.5.

As per support pages 8.1.6 update can update 8.1.3 directly to 8.1.6 version.

Try creating an AIP with 8.1.3 + 8.1.6 (no 8.1.4 and 8.1.5 in between). It should work.

• 2. Re: Error updating Reader to 8.1.6
            R.Lin Level 1

Thanks for your help. I was able to update and install from the 8.1.3 install point. It's strange that I would have to go back to 8.1.3 since the instructions explicitly say:

This update can be applied to any of Adobe Reader versions 8.1.3, 8.1.4 or 8.1.5.

In case anyone else runs into the same issue, I was getting an error when applying the msp directly to the network installation point even though other updates apply with no problems. Copying the install point to a local drive resolved the issue.

I guess it's just another botched update from Adobe.

• 3. Re: Error updating Reader to 8.1.6
              _JS

You aren't crazy, I'm having this same issue updating my environment with 8.1.6.  Everything is currently installed from an 8.1.3 AIP base that has been successively patched with 8.1.4 and 8.1.5, I cannot patch any machine that is running 8.1.4 or 8.1.5, but I can patch the original 8.1.3 installation.

I hope there's a fix released for this issue soon, my environment has other issues that makes the reinstall-based upgrade path a painful process indeed.

• 4. Re: Error updating Reader to 8.1.6
                kashifMohd Level 2

I've worked a lot on GPO, SMS, and AIP. In all these installations how you apply the patches matters. Let me know in what order and how patches are applied. Assuming you are the one who has created AIP in your organization which other users can use, please let me know which option below matches with your installation most.

Option 1:

1) You created and AIP for 8.1.4 or 8.1.5.

2) Installed Reader using this AIP on user machine.

3) Now you are installing 8.1.6 "on user machine" through Adobe updater or by downloading 8.1.6 msp to you local machine and then install it by double clicking it.

OR

Option 2:

1) You created and AIP for 8.1.3 (or less).

2) Installed reader using this AIP on user machine.

3) Installed 8.1.4 (or 8.1.5) "on user machine" through Adobe updater or by downloading 8.1.4 (or 8.1.5) msp to you local machine and then installing it by double clicking it.

4) Now you're trying to update to 8.1.6 using the same method as in (3) above.

• 5. Re: Error updating Reader to 8.1.6
                  _JS Level 1

Option 3:

1) Installed from an 8.1.3 patched incrementally to 8.1.5 and an 8.1.5 AIP created with Adobe source files, and customized with the adobe tuner.

2) attempted to patch via SMS (using DFS links, not Distribution Points,) verified patch failure by running with the classic double-click method on a few test machines

3) Cried in defeat

Curiously, I've discovered that the patch works if it's run locally, but does not work if it runs from a network share.  I think my solution is probably going to be to write a script that copies it to each machine before running the SMS program with elevated privileges.

EDIT:  looks like I was mistaken about the deployment scenario, our current production machines were actually reinstalled with an 8.1.4 AIP, and that seems to be the breaking point.  A new installation from the 8.1.3 AIP can be patched up to 8.1.6, no matter what incremental patch level it's currently at.  Seems to be a mismatched product code issue?

• 6. Re: Error updating Reader to 8.1.6
                    kashifMohd Level 2

_JS,

Are you saying that your issue is resolved?

• 7. Re: Error updating Reader to 8.1.6
                      _JS Level 1

Not even close.  I'm saying the rot goes deep!

My environment is all installed from an 8.1.4 AIP base (not the 8.1.3 I previously stated,) and the patch will not run agains either the base 8.1.4 install, or if it's incrementally patched up to 8.1.5 (obviously the 8.1.5 patch works fine.)  If I attempt to patch from the now-retired 8.1.3 AIP, the patch works flawlessly, whether that installation was incrementally patched to 8.1.4 or 8.1.5.

So basically it's something to do with the AIP created from the 8.1.4 patch.  This seems to be consistent with the situation that other people are reporting.  I'm toying with the idea of (trying) to recreate the adobe patch with the correct product codes and version placement, but that's going to be slow going if it's necessary.

• 8. Re: Error updating Reader to 8.1.6
                        kashifMohd Level 2

There's a solution posted on http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/498/cpsid_49880.html

See if this applies to your problem.