13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2009 7:21 PM by joshtownsend

Why can't I import anything? "File video dimensions (width/height) too large"

Hack_Slash_Flail

New to PP CS4 here (that will be obvious momentarily...).  I can't seem to import any footage into any project (well, at least none of the bits I've tried, and I don't think there's anything 'wrong' with them).  Every time I attempt to do so, I get the error:

Dialog title: File Import Failure

Error Message: File video dimensions (width/height) too large.

This occurs with every files I've thrown at it - admittedly, they all have a lot in common, but they're not particularly exotic.

The files are (mostly) AVI files (I know, I know...before I get jumped, I understand it's just a wrapper, etc.). The files come from two cameras:

1. A Sony DCR-TRV20. Opening up the AVI in QuickTime Player, I see it's listed as "DV/DVCPRO - NTSC 640X480"

2. Canon PowerShot A620. Opening up the AVI in QuickTime Player, I see it's listed as "MotionJPEG OpenDML 320x240"

3. I somehow managed to get the AME to spit out a FLV file. That failed to import with the same error message, too.

I tried running these files through AME, and got the same results (although never having used AME previously, I have a question on that, below).

New project, settings are all (I think) the defaults: Preset DV-NTSC/Standard 32kHz

New installation of PP CS4, with the 4.1 update, on a PC running Vista 32 with all the endless MS updates applied.

Related question: I've skimmed other threads here, and noted the advice to "always convert any non-standard footage to DV-AVI Type II" before importing....however, I see no such option for that output format in AME....only generic things like "Microsoft AVI" and "Uncompressed Microsoft AVI".

Codec issues?  I'm a little skeptical, since these AVI files play just fine in Windows if I double-click them. Does that not suggest that there's a codec there for them?  The files are from (what I believe to be) garden-variety consumer cameras (these devices are a bit old and certainly not high-end, but they're hardly exotic formats, I think). The files are small, short clips I'm attempting to use just to learn Premiere, but it gags on every one of them, every time.

PP is so insistent that every file I throw at it has improper dimensions, but these files appear to be perfectly reasonably sized, and I assume it's operator error (I'm withholding judgement on the quality and accuracy of the error string it's presenting me).  But I'm not sure where to look for the right knob to twist.  Pretty frustrating to be stuck on Square 1 (actually, Square Zero).

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Please be gentle, it's my first time....

• 1. Re: Why can't I import anything? "File video dimensions (width/height) too large"
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Welcome to the forum and you did a good job explaining your problem.

To point you in a certain direction, DV from a TRV is 720x480, not 640x480. You are mixing PAR's (pixel aspect ratio's). Likely a Quicktime problem. The other material from your still camera should be used with PS, not PR. Your audio should be set at the standard 48 KHz setting, not 32.

Your comment about converting to DV AVI type2, applies to all material prior to importing, not on exporting. This applies specifically to your digital sill camera material.

It may pay to start reading the manual, study some tutorials and consult the Help file.

• 2. Re: Why can't I import anything? "File video dimensions (width/height) too large"
            Hack_Slash_Flail Level 1

Thanks, but....mmmm....maybe not.

I've tried multiple settings for New Projects. Just created a new one using the preset for DV-NTSC/Widecsreen 48kHz (frame size 720 x 480, 48 kHz audio).  Exactly the same results.

You say "To point you in a certain direction, DV from a TRV is 720x480, not 640x480."  However, according to QuickTime's Movie Inspector panel, the file is 640x480.  This clip was captured through Premiere - that wouldn't change its aspect ratio, would it?

The files from the Canon still camera are AVI files, not still images (so I don't see how the reference to Photoshop applies, or perhaps I misunderstood your point). They are 320x240, according to QuickTime's Movie Inspector panel. If they're 320x240, wouldn't that be the same aspect ratio as 640x480?  Attempting to import them, I get the same error....

While not exactly Hollywood quality, I just need files to play with as I attempt to learn the program, and it's not clear to me why these files should not work - other than the fact that NO files seem to work. Also, I'm not sure what your reference to "exporting" pertains to - I can't get anything imported, I'm not trying to export anything that (I'm aware of) - I'll worry about exporting once I've managed to get something, ANYTHING to import.

I've got some PP training videos (from "you-probably-know-who.com"). Following along using their project files and their video assets (MOV files in this case), I still get the exact same error.

So to summarize, so far, I've seen no evidence that this copy of PP can import ANY video file.

While I'm sure I would benefit from spending more time with the fine manual, I think there's something wrong here that's not going to be addressed in the introductory documentation.  If I can't import any footage into any project, progress is going to be slow.

How about this: is there some known-to-be-good test file I can grab and try importing that?  I've got very strong suspicions that I'll get the same error message.

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Why can't I import anything? "File video dimensions (width/height) too large"
              Hack_Slash_Flail Level 1

I have an older PC running Windows XP and Premiere Pro 2.0. Just for grins...

All the AVI files I've been fighting with import just fine into this old machine. Old machine with Premiere Pro 2.0: EVERY FILE I TRY IMPORTS JUST FINE.  Not the slightest hiccup.

New machine with Premiere pro CS4: No file will import. None. Attempting to import ANY file yields the "File video dimensions (width/height) too large" error.

Same exact files, same exact settings.  Go figure. 

So much for RTFM.

• 5. Re: Why can't I import anything? "File video dimensions (width/height) too large"
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Capturing from the TRV should be done in a 4x3 DV-NTSC 48 KHz preset, not widescreen. The TRV is a 4x3 camera, not a 16x9 camera.

The AVI files from the Canon still camera should be converted prior to import.

Quicktime is probable leading you in a false direction. If you forget about Quicktime or better yet uninstall it, it will save you a lot of trouble.

I'll have a look at some small AVI file to put up for you to download and try out.

• 6. Re: Why can't I import anything? "File video dimensions (width/height) too large"
                  Hack_Slash_Flail Level 1

Shouldn't I be able to import a small JPG or PSD?  I create a simple, small JPG.  That fails with the exact same error message.

This is a new install of PPCS4,  It has NEVER imported ANY file successfully.

I've spent the last 6 hours uninstalling the CS4 Master Collection, scrubbing everything, running Microsoft's and Adobe's clean-up scripts/utilities, and reinstalled only Premiere Pro.

Same error.

• 7. Re: Why can't I import anything? "File video dimensions (width/height) too large"
                    Hack_Slash_Flail Level 1

Just tried capturing a short clip from the TRV, new project, Standard DV-NTSC 48kHz preset. Clip will not import - same error message.

Just removed QuickTime, restarted and....

EVERYTHING IMPORTS!  Holy cow.  What a difference that made.

There are still some issues with the AVIs from the still camera, but they import with no errors - I'll deal with the other issues (probably needs conversion, as you suggested). JPGs import fine too. Captured clips from the TRV import fine too.  Only thing that does not import are MOV files, which makes sense since there's no Quicktime now.  Wow.

I was just about ready to give up.  What a huge PITA!

So....is Quicktime *always* this problematic?  I'm pretty sure I had the latest update to it (or what that the problem)?

Many thanks for that suggestion - I looked through a lot of threads and other materials online (I had 6 hours to kill as I uninstalled and reinstalled and another computer...) but never saw any references to Quicktime being such a show-stopper.  Glad you suggested that.  Thanks again.

• 8. Re: Why can't I import anything? "File video dimensions (width/height) too large"
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Well, glad that you solved this issue and can now start editing. I was still looking for a smallish file for you to upload, but can skip that now. Quicktime has a different name around here amongst PC users: "Quircktime" . BTW, where are my points for helping you? I want that trip to Adobe HQ to tell them what they need to improve...

• 9. Re: Why can't I import anything? "File video dimensions (width/height) too large"
                        Hack_Slash_Flail Level 1

I hit the "question is answered" button - thought that gave credit but apparently not - should be done now, thanks.  Don't hold anything back when you get to San Jose.

So is there any way for Quicktime and PPCS4 to co-exist on the same machine (and for both to work properly)?  On my older XP PC running PP 2, Quicktime is installed and everything appears OK....

• 10. Re: Why can't I import anything? "File video dimensions (width/height) too large"
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

There have been many reports of problems with Quirktime. What I have not yet been able to discover is why, when I have 7.6.2 installed, it does not give me these problems. I don't use it at all for MOV or similar, but I have it installed because SonicFire Pro needs it. If and when I figure this out, I will post it here. But then, like many others, I have not had problems with the 4.1 update and yet many have reported problems, like being reverted to the trial version. What it is, I can only guess, but I would suspect a somewhat polluted system or other software running while updating that causes havoc on the installation.

• 11. Re: Why can't I import anything? "File video dimensions (width/height) too large"
                            Hack_Slash_Flail Level 1

Well....turns out that was a red herring.  Sigh.

Late last night, and first thing this morning after a couple hours of sleep, PP was importing everything just fine.  Then I spent much of the morning reinstalling the rest of the CS4 Master Collection apps (no small project).

After finishing that, I fire up Premiere Pro CS4, go to import some footage....the same #*^! error message is back. Exit the app, trash all the files I can find, restart Windows, launch PP and....same thing. No file will import.  The same files that imported successfuly last night and this morning, now PP gags on it and vomits up the "File video dimensions (width/height) too large" error.

It appears that installing some other part of the CS4 Master Collection rendered Premiere Pro incapable of importing anything. Nice.

There's no trace of Quicktime installed on this machine, so that apparently didn't have anything to do with it.

Back to square zero.  Can't import ANY footage into ANY project.  24 hours of my life pissed away.

I give up.  I guess I have to buy a Mac to get this program to work...

• 12. Re: Why can't I import anything? "File video dimensions (width/height) too large"
                              Hack_Slash_Flail Level 1

I give up.

This is the absolute worst experience I've ever had with any software product in over 20 years.  And I've had some bad ones.

Life is too short to waste on junk like this.  I'm outta here.  Good luck, everybody.

• 13. Re: Why can't I import anything? "File video dimensions (width/height) too large"
                                joshtownsend Level 2

don't let the door het you on the way out.

I don't have any problems like these and neither to others, do your computer setting must wrong.