4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2009 9:39 AM by Bill Gehrke

High End Video Cards?

Suntower Level 1

Hi,

I have a new computer (Quad Core) which I'm using with PP CS 4.1. I am using the onboard Intel video adapter, however. I was wondering if there is any advantage to getting a higher end video card when doing basic editing, or using After Effects. IOW: does an nVidia or other high end card provide any Premiere-specific benefits?

TIA,

---JC

• 1. Re: High End Video Cards?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

There is no clear cut answer to your question without knowing a bit more. However, in general the video card plays a minor role in overall performance for editing. Performance is largely dependent on CPU, memory and disk setup. Things change when you use a lot of Red Giant effects, like Looks or Colorista or similar. Those use the GPU much more and then the advantage of a dedicated video card becomes apparent.

Common wisdom says to use a dedicated modern day video card with 512 MB or larger memory instead of on-board video. But it also says that spending more will only give marginal benefits. It is easy to spend $ 2K on a video card, but you will be hard pressed to notice any improvement over a $ 200 card.

Is your system worth it? Without knowing what integrated video you have, what your projects look like, what source material you use, what effects you apply, this is a very difficult question to answer. And what is high-end in your case?

• 2. Re: High End Video Cards?
            Suntower Level 1

Thanks. This is kinda what I expected, but I wanted some confirmation. I'm making -very- low end music videos and product training stuff. I doubt I've stressed my machine more than a drop so far but I wanted to keep my eyes open for what performance issues would look like that would prompt me to get a new video card.

---JC

• 3. Re: High End Video Cards?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

The three main ingredients, in order of impact on performance, are:

1. CPU

2. Memory

3. Disk setup

and 4-th is video card. In your case, if you are willing to invest, I would have a look at the first three components first.

• 4. Re: High End Video Cards?
                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

One thing that you might want to be aware of is the Adobe requirement for OpenGL 2.0 support especially for things like AE.

Adobe Specification--'1,280x900 display with OpenGL 2.0–compatible graphics card"

I am not sure if your Intel onboard graphics chip supports that specification and I doubt it has its own dedicated memory.  Those are the two concerns that I see in your system.  As Harm has said a almost any $200 card will meet or exceed those requirements.