4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2009 9:39 AM by Bill Gehrke

High End Video Cards?

Suntower Level 1

Hi,

I have a new computer (Quad Core) which I'm using with PP CS 4.1. I am using the onboard Intel video adapter, however. I was wondering if there is any advantage to getting a higher end video card when doing basic editing, or using After Effects. IOW: does an nVidia or other high end card provide any Premiere-specific benefits?

TIA,

---JC

• 1. Re: High End Video Cards?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

There is no clear cut answer to your question without knowing a bit more. However, in general the video card plays a minor role in overall performance for editing. Performance is largely dependent on CPU, memory and disk setup. Things change when you use a lot of Red Giant effects, like Looks or Colorista or similar. Those use the GPU much more and then the advantage of a dedicated video card becomes apparent.

Common wisdom says to use a dedicated modern day video card with 512 MB or larger memory instead of on-board video. But it also says that spending more will only give marginal benefits. It is easy to spend $ 2K on a video card, but you will be hard pressed to notice any improvement over a $ 200 card.

Is your system worth it? Without knowing what integrated video you have, what your projects look like, what source material you use, what effects you apply, this is a very difficult question to answer. And what is high-end in your case?

• 2. Re: High End Video Cards?
            Suntower Level 1

Thanks. This is kinda what I expected, but I wanted some confirmation. I'm making -very- low end music videos and product training stuff. I doubt I've stressed my machine more than a drop so far but I wanted to keep my eyes open for what performance issues would look like that would prompt me to get a new video card.

---JC

• 3. Re: High End Video Cards?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

The three main ingredients, in order of impact on performance, are:

1. CPU

2. Memory

3. Disk setup

and 4-th is video card. In your case, if you are willing to invest, I would have a look at the first three components first.

• 4. Re: High End Video Cards?
                Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

One thing that you might want to be aware of is the Adobe requirement for OpenGL 2.0 support especially for things like AE.

Adobe Specification--'1,280x900 display with OpenGL 2.0–compatible graphics card"

I am not sure if your Intel onboard graphics chip supports that specification and I doubt it has its own dedicated memory.  Those are the two concerns that I see in your system.  As Harm has said a almost any $200 card will meet or exceed those requirements.