6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2009 9:13 PM by Bachir El Khoury

Dynamic link between Photoshop and Flash Catalyst does not exist

Datorfr

Hi,

I'm a french developer and I have a question.

I didnt find any Dynamci link between Photoshop and Flash Catalyst.

Let me explain :

I have a photoshop file (.psd) and I import it into Flash Catalyst.

But I have some modification to do on my design file (psd) but the design does not update himself in Flash Catalyst .

Do you plane to add the possibility ?

Thanks a lot !

Clement

http://www.dator.fr

• 1. Re: Dynamic link between Photoshop and Flash Catalyst does not exist
          Kevin Rommen

it isn't a direct link like you would find in InDesign!!

- What you need to to is import the design in Catalyst

- Archive your PSD, you won't be needing this anymore

- Work from Catalyst from now on

- When you want to edit some design you rightmouse-click on the component and choose "Edit in Photoshop"

Hint: try using Illustrator instead of Photoshop! Every design-element from Photoshop gets converted to a PNG resulting in a catastrofical size your SWF file. Illustrator on the other hand is vector which can be easier converted to FXG, this will generate code instead of images.

Same design tested which i tested in Photoshop & Illustrator

Photoshop -> Catalyst -> resulted in swf of 3 Mb

Illustrator -> Catalyst -> resulted in swf of 200 Kb

Hope this answers your question

• 2. Re: Dynamic link between Photoshop and Flash Catalyst does not exist
            acath Level 4

Given that you named the class TextDynamicLayout, it implies you are trying to handle wordwrapping text.  That requires handing down the VBox's explicitWidth to the Text controls before they get measured.  Wordwrapping text can be any size so it needs to have its width fixed in order to determine its height.

The List classes do not support percentages on the renderers.  All renderers are effectively given a size based on the List's size (or DG Column size).  You can see how explicitWidth is handled in the default renderer by looking at the source for ListItemRenderer.as.

Note that VBox or any container makes for heavy and slow rendering.  That's why the default Flex renderers extend UIComponent and have custom measure() and updateDisplayList() methods.

Alex Harui

Flex SDK Developer

Adobe Systems Inc.

Blog: http://blogs.adobe.com/aharui

• 3. Re: Dynamic link between Photoshop and Flash Catalyst does not exist
              Kevin Rommen Level 1

aren't you sending a reply to the wrong topic?

• 4. Re: Dynamic link between Photoshop and Flash Catalyst does not exist
                acath Level 4

Wow, what an awesome bug in the forums software. Anyway, here's what I meant to say:

Currently, the workflow with Photoshop is not as smooth as that with Illustrator (there is no “Edit in PS”), but we’ll be looking to improve that in future versions. For now, you'll have to re-import your PSD (file > import artwork), and then move the updated elements into the right place in your design.

-Adam
                Catalyst Engineering

• 5. Re: Dynamic link between Photoshop and Flash Catalyst does not exist
                  RCAnimation

Yes I also noticed there was no dynamic Photoshop link. I realize both Flash and Catalyst are vector based. But I work with an awful lot of PSDs, besides Photoshop also being my main design app. Besides that, I'm constantly editing bitmap images embedded in Flash files. It would be so great to open that content fast for editing and resampling, and then resave quickly to view edited image on the stage. [The greatest thing ever is the resample image button in dreamweaver. It opened to Fireworks/ Photoshop and even allowed for simple adjustments right on the stage ... so handy and saves so much time!!! ] Please add more bitmap features to Catalyst (and Flash, btw) so my life can be made easier. I swear you will get a bottle of wine if you do.  :-)

• 6. Re: Dynamic link between Photoshop and Flash Catalyst does not exist
                    Bachir El Khoury

I second that!

We also work with alot of bitmaps and vector graphics, having that hybrid control will be super usefull!