39 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2009 5:46 AM by Frontspace

Sometimes silent fail

RossRitchey Level 4

This morning it took 4 tries to get Flash Builder open.  The first time: the load screen displayed and then disappeared. The second time: the building workspace progress-bar appeared and then it all went away, same for the third time. The fourth time it opened as expected.

I took a look at the log file, and it doesn't have any entries for today in it, but I have attached the logs anyway. (The forum doesn't like ".log" files, so I made them text files)

I have looked around for the other logs I see mentioned in some other threads, but it seems they may be Mac specific (I am running Win XP)

• 1. Re: Sometimes silent fail
          dgassner Level 1

I had this problem today as well: Flash Builder shows splash screen, then shuts down. I found it was only happening when my computer was disconnected from the internet. And it's only happening on my Windows install - the  Mac version seems ok.

David

• 2. Re: Sometimes silent fail
            eh_adobe Level 1

This might be the same or similar issue: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/444437

• 3. Re: Sometimes silent fail
              David_F57 Level 5

Not sure if this will help but its worth a try,

after installing builder and catalyst every time I started up Chrome  it indicated a redirect to adobe.com before loading my default homepage. This I am not happy with at all. I have removed any reference in my services that have adobe attached to them and that has stopped the adobe.com redirects and Flashbuilder still works.

• 4. Re: Sometimes silent fail
                RossRitchey Level 4

@eh

I read that other thread, and a few others that were "similar" to this problem, though with some grave differences.

1. I am running a Windows XP machine, not a Macintosh (all other threads are referring to the Mac version)

2. My software will run, it just takes a few tries.  The number of tries differs each day (sometimes it opens on the first try, other-times it takes up to 4 tries to open - It hasn't yet taken more than 4 tries)

I have been unable to find anything similar about the other software I have running when it does this.  Sometimes Chrome is open, sometimes not.  Sometimes iTunes is open, sometimes not.  Sometimes I have other Adobe software open, etc....

• 5. Re: Sometimes silent fail
                  RossRitchey Level 4

Some new information that may or may not relate to the issue:

Flash Builder will not open on my machine when:

1.other Adobe softwares are running (Dreamweaver CS3, Flash CS3 for sure)

2.Google Chrome is NOT running

3.iTunes is NOT running

Also, when Flash Builder does not open, it does not record anything to the standard log file, nor does it write a log file next to the executable.

• 6. Re: Sometimes silent fail
                    C. Agruss (Adobe) Level 3

Hi Ross,

Thanks for the details.

If you can find a file named "amt.log" in your temp folder, will you attach that to this thread? I want to see if FB is failing with a licensing error - if so, this is a problem with network timeouts that we've isolated and fixed internally in post-beta builds.

The solution for the beta builds is (as you've discovered) that you may need to launch more than once before it succeeds in getting the network response it's looking for.

Also, is it fair to assume that you're running with a Beta SN, or are you running in Trial mode?

-Chris

• 7. Re: Sometimes silent fail
                      RossRitchey Level 4

I will check for the amt.log file tomorrow when i get back into work.

As for the serial number..... is it possible to be not running the trial version currently?  I have not received an email from Adobe with a serial, and every time I hit the page in the labs it says "page under construction" or some such.

• 8. Re: Sometimes silent fail

If you send me a private forum message with your FB3 SN, I can send you a beta SN for FB4.

-Chris

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Sometimes silent fail
                          RossRitchey Level 4

Here is the amt.log file I found.

• 10. Re: Sometimes silent fail
                            RossRitchey Level 4

Chris,

Thanks for the serial.

Unfortunately, now that the serial is in, FB4 isn't opening at all for me.....

I have attached all log files

• 11. Re: Sometimes silent fail

Hi Ross,

Thanks for the log - the error showing is a familiar one related to network timing. We've fixed that in builds since the Beta release, but the workaround for Beta is simply to wait a minute, and then relaunch. Generally, after getting the error you're seeing FB4 Beta will launch without problems on the 2nd or 3rd attempt.

-Chris

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Sometimes silent fail
                                RossRitchey Level 4

Chris, I am currently uninstalling/reinstalling FB4.

I tried to open the software about 50 times this morning between 7:30 and 11:00, to no avail.  Sometimes waiting seconds between tries, othertimes waiting more than an hour, and various times in-between.

• 13. Re: Sometimes silent fail

Uninstalling/reinstalling won't hurt, but often just a simple reboot will get past that particular error, if a relaunch didn't help.

If all else fails, try disconnecting from the network during launch, and then reconnect after successfully launched.

-Chris

• 14. Re: Sometimes silent fail
                                    RossRitchey Level 4

Uninstall/Reinstall did nothing.

Reboot, and still will not open today. (Tried about 5-6 times since reboot)

On a perhaps unrelated note (but seemingly odd timing if unrelated) - once I input the serial number you gave me for FB4, all of my CS3 apps have given me a broken activation error at least once, asking me to re-activate.

You say this problem is fixed in a post-beta build? When is the next beta scheduled to launch? Beta1 is now unusable for me, and I will have to migrate my projects back to FB3.  If no beta2 is planned, can we get an update to the current one that has this problem fixed?

• 15. Re: Sometimes silent fail

Sounds as if the license engine is generally having trouble on that machine. Perhaps you had recently run the Adobe License Repair tool, as that can trigger the re-activation behavior for CS apps that you describe?

Have you already tried the workaround of launching FB4 disconnected from the net?

-Chris

• 16. Re: Sometimes silent fail
                                        RossRitchey Level 4

I haven't knowingly run the license repair tool.

I just disconnected from the internet and FB didn't open for 3 consecutive tries.

Earlier, the uninstall/reinstall was following the release notes workaround (close all applications, uninstall, reinstall, reboot) - so that workaround isn't working.

It was working alright (it at least opened sometimes) before I put the serial in. Perhaps I need to run the License Repair tool at this point?

• 17. Re: Sometimes silent fail

Since all else has failed, you might indeed want to try the Repair Tool:

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/licensing.html

-Chris

• 18. Re: Sometimes silent fail
                                            RossRitchey Level 4

The repair tool worked (after the third option) and FB4 opened on the first try. (Though, when I closed and went to re-open it took 3 tries again)

• 19. Re: Sometimes silent fail
                                              JeroldHaas Level 1

I'm currently not getting any start-ups from Flash Builder 4 on Windows 7 RC1.

Trying Repair Utility now. Python, nice.

No change in FB4's startup, though.

• 20. Re: Sometimes silent fail

Hi Jerold,

If you look in your temp folder, you should find some files named "amt.log" and "alm.log". If you'll attach those logs here, I'll take a look to see what's happening on that Win7 box.

-Chris

• 21. Re: Sometimes silent fail
                                                  JeroldHaas Level 1

Chris,

Windows7 is littered with temp files now! It took me some time to find them

manually. One item of note is that ALM is not finding a license for the

beta1, yet I selected the trial.

Files attached are filtered, for some reason. Can you help?

Cheers,

Jerold

Message was edited by: JeroldHaas

• 22. Re: Sometimes silent fail

File attachments are probably filtered based on the file extension. Perhaps try renaming them to .txt files, and see if that will work.

-Chris

• 23. Re: Sometimes silent fail
                                                      JeroldHaas Level 1

Second attempt.

• 24. Re: Sometimes silent fail
                                                        Guy Paddock Level 1

We saw this behavior after we entered our version 4 key that Adobe converted from our version 3 key. The fix we found (for Windows) was:

1. Open the Services control panel (services.msc).
                                                        2. Find "FLEXnet Licensing Service", right-click it, and select "Properties".
                                                        3. Set "Startup type" to "Disabled", click the "Stop" button if it is not grayed out, and then click "Apply" but do not close the dialog.
                                                        4. Attempt to start Flash Builder, wait for an error to pop-up about a licensing issue, and then click "Ok" to close the error.
                                                        5. Go back to the FLEXnet service dialog box from step 3, change "Startup type" to "Manual", and click "OK" to save the service settings.
                                                        6. Attempt to start Flash Builder again.

Our hunch is that this causes FB to re-build some part of the licensing data, but there's no way to tell for certain.

• 25. Re: Sometimes silent fail
                                                          RossRitchey Level 4

Holy wow, that worked miracles Guy!

Unfortunately I can't give you points or credit for this workaround as I already gave them for the License repair tool.

Until this, every day I would open the software at least 3 times, and then run the license recovery if it didn't open to get it to open.

Today is the first day I have been able to open FB4 with Flash and Dreamweaver still open.  Thanks much.

• 26. Re: Sometimes silent fail
                                                            Guy Paddock Level 1

Glad we here at the RIT Open Publishing Lab could help out!

I think this is a pretty severe bug that Adobe will need to fix before release; otherwise, a lot of developers will be scratching their heads like we were. The worst part is that the app provides absolutely no feedback when the license fails to load properly -- not even a standard Eclipse launch failure log dump.

We didn't try to locate the licensing log -- we didn't stumble upon this thread until after we found a fix ourselves -- but Adobe really shouldn't rely on people to know to look in the licensing log when the app just flat out quits during launch.

• 27. Re: Sometimes silent fail
                                                              RossRitchey Level 4

C. Agruss (Adobe) wrote:

... the error showing is a familiar one related to network timing. We've fixed that in builds since the Beta release ...

Hopefully the second beta will reflect this, whenever it comes out!

• 28. Re: Sometimes silent fail

Point well taken Guy, and thanks for pointing out that other workaround.

We've been tuning up our use of the licensing system a lot, based on all this feedback from the Beta release last month, so we do aim to live up to your expectations on this.

On reviewing Adobe's general license troubleshooting page here, I noticed that the workaround you mention is listed as "Solution 2" in the troubleshooting workflow:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405970.html

Depending on the type of actual licensing error, different solutions in that KB article are required. Usually the license system will give a visible error when it fails, so at least you can troubleshoot it reliably, but when it fails silently, that makes it harder on everyone.

-Chris

• 29. Re: Sometimes silent fail
                                                                  Guy Paddock Level 1

Actually, that solution is not exactly the same fix in this case. The KB article provides solution 2 to cover the case where the service has somehow been set to "Disabled", causing the user to receive the licensing message because the service cannot start. In the steps that I provided, you're actually doing the opposite of the steps outlined in the KB article -- you're temporarily disabling the service to force FB to fail and re-build some kind of internal state, so you can go back and re-enable it later and FB will launch.

It's similar, but not quite the same, and as you've pointed out, the developer would not know to consult this article without some kind of error.

• 30. Re: Sometimes silent fail
                                                                    JeroldHaas Level 1

Performing your indicated instructions resulted in Gumbo.exe having an

APPCRASH event, first with then without the FLEXnet Licensing service

running. As a side note, this is a fresh Windows 7 Build 7100 install and

Flex 3 has been removed before trying to install Flex 4 Beta.

The indication that this error is the same regardless of the state of the

service leads me to point my finger at this DLL.

Can't we just get an update for the service? I'd really like to get my hands

dirty with this program!

FLEXNET DISABLED

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: Gumbo.exe

Application Version: 0.0.0.0

Application Timestamp: 4824a925

Fault Module Name: AdobeLM_libFNP.dll

Fault Module Version: 11.5.0.1

Fault Module Timestamp: 4783cd14

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 000f738d

OS Version: 6.1.7100.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e78

FLEXNET RE-ENABLED

>

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: Gumbo.exe

Application Version: 0.0.0.0

Application Timestamp: 4824a925

Fault Module Name: AdobeLM_libFNP.dll

Fault Module Version: 11.5.0.1

Fault Module Timestamp: 4783cd14

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 000f738d

OS Version: 6.1.7100.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

• 31. Re: Sometimes silent fail

Hi Jerold,

I've scanned these logs a couple of times today, and don't find any obvious errors that offer clues.

The only thing that jumped out at me is that you have FB4 installed to disk A. What format is disk A?

-Chris

• 32. Re: Sometimes silent fail
                                                                        JeroldHaas Level 1

A: is windows7, no floppy

• 33. Re: Sometimes silent fail
                                                                          JeroldHaas Level 1

Is there any way to enable logging in the eclipse environment so I can see

which com.adobe plugin is failing?

• 34. Re: Sometimes silent fail
                                                                            GaryFunk Level 1

For some reason Flash Builder Beta started failing to start. I find that if I turn off, my network connection, it will than start up.  So far, no other fix works.

• 35. Re: Sometimes silent fail

If you're on Win, some people have reported that Stopping/Restarting the FLEXNet Licensing Service will correct problems of this sort.

• 36. Re: Sometimes silent fail
                                                                                GaryFunk Level 1

I finally tried all suggestions and it is now working everytime. I'm not sure what went wrong, but I'm happy.

Gary

• 37. Re: Sometimes silent fail
                                                                                  hudson.graham Level 1

Brilliant, Guy.

I entered my key into FB4 well before it was due to expire and It has not work until now.

Thanks heaps.

h

• 38. Re: Sometimes silent fail
                                                                                    Frontspace Level 1

Suddenly started to get the message "Licensing for this product has expired" and FB 4 Beta fails to launch. It's been working fine up until this morning.

Spent all morning trying to resolve this with no success. Ran the licence repair tool, rebooted, stop/start FLEXnet service, unplugged network connection etc. etc. Only thing I haven't done is uninstall/reinstall. Will give that a try now.

Log files attached. Any help appreciated as getting desperate now!

(Win Vista)

Thanks

• 39. Re: Sometimes silent fail
                                                                                      Frontspace Level 1

Uninstalled Beta r1 and downloaded and installed Beta r2. My serial for Beta r1 is now invalid but at least I can work in trial mode for 60 days...