1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 11, 2009 10:33 PM by AttaBoy2

Playing other movie formats other than FLV?

StanKnight

Hi everyone,

I'm creating a movie player on a website of mine.. similar to YouTube.  I would like people to be able to upload their movies on to my site.  So my question(s) are regarding the FLV Format and if you can play other formats some how like Movs, Avis, Wmvs and Mpegs?

(1) Flash can only play FLV files?  Can you get it to play Movs, Avis, Mpegs... Can I some how put in codecs for them?

(2) Can people easily get their movies to FLV format? Is this an issue for people?

I don't want to make it complicated for them to put things on my site.  I would like them to be able to upload movies with ease and obviously not make things too complicated for them.  I want to make it as user friendly as possible.

Any insight on this would be appreciated.  Thanks

-- Stan

• 1. Re: Playing other movie formats other than FLV?
          AttaBoy2 Level 3

As much as I've played with video I should know what can be played on a flash site.  I've only played FLV's myself and the few times I've tried other formats it didn't work.  Mostly I've just used the flvplayback component there's probably a reason it's called flvplayback.  I've heard people talking about running other formats I suppose they are using a 3'rd party player or building one from scratch. This might be worth looking at http://www.openvideoplayer.net/ as far as makeing it easy for your users I know youtube used to and I think still do allow users to upload several popular formats then they would convert them to flv.  I think they now convert them to that new version of mp4 I think it's called H264.

Check this out it's a little off topic but not much  click the local button it will take a screen capture and download to you.   http://jimslounge.com/bigShot/bigShot.html