6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2009 11:43 AM by macrofireball

Video

xianxou Level 1

As I know it isn't possible to import music and video into a fxp, but I was curious as to whether it is possible to embed a video into your site (ex. from YouTube)?

• 1. Re: Video
          Kevin Rommen Level 1

you can't embed video files in swf; not in flash, flex or Catalyst. That would result in a website of hundred Mb's.

To play video in a swf you would use or a external video file which is loaded from the swf or stream if from a flash media server (Red 5 also possible).

In Flex it's possible to use a VideoDisplay object for showing video-files. Don't know the name in Flex 4 (Gumbo) but do know that the Video Class is completely rewritten zo it can be better used. This video object can play different files and possibly also files from youtube. Througd the YouTube-API you can establish this communication. If you google on Flex & Youtube you should stumble upon some examples in this area, those are Flex 3 examples though.

• 2. Re: Video
            acath Level 4

There's no way to do this in Catalyst. Let me do some research and figure out how to do it in Flash Builder...

-Adam

• 3. Re: Video
              rfrishbe Level 3

One easy way to drop a youtube video in is with TubeLoc.  It's as simple as:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
              <mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml"
                        xmlns:tubeloc="com.enefekt.tubeloc.*">

<!-- TubeLoc Movie Component -->
                   <tubeloc:Movie id="tubelocMovie" width="320" height="240"
                             videoId="GJ1sZBTnbuE" chromeless="true" />

</mx:Application>

There's a lot more info here: http://code.google.com/apis/youtube/articles/tubeloc.html .

If you know the URL of the FLV video file, you could just throw it in to the new video player components in Gumbo, which are <VideoElement> (a chromeless video player) and <VideoPlayer> (a video player with chrome that's skinnable).

You could also use other APIs just to figure out the video URL (based on a search query) and just send it in to the video player components in Gumbo It's been a while sicne I've used this API, but something like: http://code.google.com/p/as3youtubelib/ should work.

Hope that helps,

Ryan

• 4. Re: Video
                TimReaDesign Level 1

There seems to be an assumption (not everyone) that tools like catalyst and builder will be solely used to build web based applications. It is my opinion that these tools can and will be used extensively in hardware applications. Off the top of my head I can think of at least three recent mobile platforms where interface development has taken off.

My point is that being an interaction designer working primarily on hardware based applications I have no time to code anything. I do, however have a desire and need for the ability to put ideas in front of my staff, my clients, and my boss – the higher the fidelity the better. If catalyst can help me do that and speed up the downstream implementation then I'm a huge fan and I'll be buying into it. However, video (or, heck, even a simple sprite builder) support would be mandatory for me to demonstrate the level of interaction I am expected to deliver.

That being said, catalyst seems to be an amazing tool with tons of potential for my organization. I am genuinely excited about participating in this beta evaluation.

Cheers

• 5. Re: Video
                  rfrishbe Level 3

Glad you are enjoying Catalyst and thanks for the feedback.  Including video in Catalyst is something that we are considering.

Thanks,

Ryan

• 6. Re: Video
                    macrofireball Level 3

Hi there,

I would also like to add my voice to including video support in Catalyst. I think that this would be a great idea.

Best - Mark