29 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2009 7:01 AM by David_F57

Flash Builder 4 - Beta / Design view sporadic at best

cnewroth

Okay, so I have installed the beta, and running through the Catalyst / Flash BUilder 4 tutorial, all is well, unitl i try to get the imprted fxp file to consistently display in the design mode. Not only that, but switching from code view to design view will break it just about 95% of the time, and then it will not display the created items that the tutorial has you put on them (i.e. the databinds to the names, etc etc).

Has anyone else experienced this? Other than a few little things like this, so far so good guys(ADOBE).

Thanks,

Craig Newroth

• 1. Re: Flash Builder 4 - Beta / Design view sporadic at best
          eh_adobe

It's a beta.... Whenever you run into a problem like this, plase create a bug, and export an .FXP and add it to the bug. This is the easiest way for us to reproduce whatever you are seeing.

• 2. Re: Flash Builder 4 - Beta / Design view sporadic at best
            David_F57 Level 5

hmmm, it is a worry that a major issue with the ide is dismissed with the ' its only a beta'. Max attendees have had the IDE for 9 months can you tell me the IDE issue (only about 95% of the reason anyone would buy Builder) was not a known one. It took me less than 30 seconds to discover that Flashbuilder(and we are talking purely from an IDE perspective) is not worthy of alpha status. Its performance is sub-standard to FB3 (gotta love that 80's style screen flickering refresh introduced into FB4  everytime you type in a key word).  The only advantage at the moment over fb3 is that the editor now recognises some of the Gumbo syntax.

Lets clarify, beta means hey guys we are really close but we need to shake out the weird and aweful that testing just never seems to finds. The design mode "DOES NOT" work. Two core things define an IDE's usability, design mode and edit mode, if one doesn't work then we are at 50% functionality, add in the meaning of Integrated development environment and we then realise that 50% failure is more like 60-70% as the visual aspect is very important to the IDE concept, any syntax highlighter can be configured to do what the editor in Builder does. So maybe its time to downgrade the beta moniker and rethink the IDE which seems to be a poorly patched version of FB3.

The new skinning methodology(which is one of the better offerings of Gumbo) is not really supported as one would expect, Where is a skin designer and previewer ?(yes the design mode can show some of the features of predefined skins but that is not enough) .  Creative Suite import export compatibility offerings don't count, as thaat has nothing to do with development environment integration. Skinning is a key part of Gumbo.

Maybe if you get around to FB5, instead of rejecting those that have been itching to test the software(you would have known about the design mode issue 8 months ago if you had given real programmers access to it), you might consider giving them a chance instead of giving it to a bunch of free-loading junket groupies(read-hey lets see what we can score at a conference-its not like we actually do real world coding anyway) and graphic designers who think actionscript means extended single frame timeline manipulation.

Right now nothing about this "beta" is making me feel very comfortable, what it has done is make me question my decision on chosing flex over silverlight. Thankfully the gumbo sdk isn't as woeful as the IDE.

• 3. Re: Flash Builder 4 - Beta / Design view sporadic at best
              cnewroth Level 1

Bug created - FB-20495

• 4. Re: Flash Builder 4 - Beta / Design view sporadic at best
                Larry McLister (Adobe) Adobe Employee

Thanks Craig.  We will take a look at it.

David, you will be glad to know that we are working on the skinning work flows in FB.  Could you please submit bugs for the issues that you are experiencing so that we can look at them as well?

Thanks

-Larry

• 5. Re: Flash Builder 4 - Beta / Design view sporadic at best
                  cnewroth Level 1

Thanks, and I just added a comment to the bug I field, it helps to push the 'refresh view' button when you want to get it to break - like it just did for me yet again!

G/L

Craig Newroth

Engineering Computing Support - PLM

Executive Computing Support Team - STL

Adobe Flex / AIR Platform Product Focal

314.233.7922 - Work

314.409.4196 - Cell

• 6. Re: Flash Builder 4 - Beta / Design view sporadic at best
                    eh_adobe Level 1

I haven't been able to reproduce this issue with your .FXP yet. Can you provide more details about your computer, environment, anything else that you can think might be affecting it? Please post any log files or other info to the bug.

• 7. Re: Flash Builder 4 - Beta / Design view sporadic at best
                      cnewroth Level 1

Vista 32bit - Enterprise flavor

Dell t3400 box

4gig ram

Nothing loaded on it really, but office 2007 and your stuff, i.e. Catalyst, FB4

Craig Newroth

314.233.7922 - Work

314.409.4196 - Cell

• 8. Re: Flash Builder 4 - Beta / Design view sporadic at best
                        cnewroth Level 1

Well, try refreshing the view after adding or changing in code view (push the green button). Works all the time for me. will break it 90% of the time!

Craig Newroth

314.233.7922 - Work

314.409.4196 - Cell

• 9. Re: Flash Builder 4 - Beta / Design view sporadic at best
                          Rob Brambley

Hi David,

Did you get a chance to file a bug about the "80's style screen flickering refresh" ?  I recently filed some bugs related to code folding and was wondering if this might be what you were talking about:

http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FB-20598

http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FB-20597

If not, please file a bug to let us know exactly what the problem is.

Thanks,

Rob Brambley

Developer, Flash Builder

• 10. Re: Flash Builder 4 - Beta / Design view sporadic at best
                            cnewroth Level 1

okay, try this one, but dont say that its resolved, because you cannot reproduce. It is reproducable, and as i stated, this is NOT working. It will break evertime i do this.
                            Try this, take a windows machine, take the demo files from the AI like the tutorial that i ref. make go thorugh that tutorial, take that fxp file to flex 4 (flash 4 beta1), start making the changes, again like the tutorial. Then when you get to end, try doing anything else, like adding the names to display on details..it will and does break, consistantly. I am up to v.5 of the project (My names), and each and everytime it breaks. Takes it a few tries but it does break.

attaching this file that is broke.

It is going to be very hard to evangilse this product or even try to introduce it as a standard at my place of work, if this is not working 100%.

Thanks,

Craig N.

Message was edited by: cnewroth - trying to add fxp file

• 11. Re: Flash Builder 4 - Beta / Design view sporadic at best
                              eh_adobe Level 1

Hi Craig,

A couple comments:

- For each time this occurs in a different source file, I'd suggest opening a new bug and make sure to attach the new MXML or FXP. Sometimes there are slightly different causes, and if we fix one cause but you find another, we want to make sure to track it down.

- If we mark a bug as resolved/UTR, it may mean that we cannot reproduce with our current, internal build. We're fixing bugs as fast as we can!

Please continue with the great feedback and bugs.

--Eric

• 12. Re: Flash Builder 4 - Beta / Design view sporadic at best
                                cnewroth Level 1

Thanks eric, and I did attach the new file to the existing bug..but I would think you would want a single source to track rather than several..

Craig

• 13. Re: Flash Builder 4 - Beta / Design view sporadic at best
                                  eh_adobe Level 1

Well, it depends. If the MXML is vastly different, let's say for example in one instance a simple Button broke DV (hopefully not!) and in the other instance it was embedding a font (also not!), fixing and testing those cases would be very different, and we might assign different developers to each one. What we do is link the bugs as related, or we mark and resolve as duplicate, as we need to. So, use your best judgement, if you think it's really the same cause use an existing bug, but otherwise open a new one.

Thanks,

--Eric

• 14. Re: Flash Builder 4 - Beta / Design view sporadic at best
                                    cnewroth Level 1

Well, as usual, what makes this probably more difficult to track down, is the fact, that while I am using the same AI (illustrator) file to start in Catalyst, save the FXP file, take that to FB4, that I create / save is exactly the same thing each and every time. But it breaks in different spots, but is does break. Usually when I have added something that is beyond the tutorial (Like binding the fname / lastname to a text control in the details stage). But then again that is not to say, that it hasn’t 'broke' when I was just following the tutorial. Which if you are wondering why I am using that, is because I plan to use that as an example to 'demo' to our dev's / designers / flex folks here.

So, I guess the best thing to do is to track where it breaks each time, make new bug, file etc. To me the only constant was that it broke going from code view to DV.

Sure hope you can reproduce to fix.

Thanks,

Craig

• 15. Re: Flash Builder 4 - Beta / Design view sporadic at best
                                      David_F57 Level 5

I am not sure if a swath of bug reports are going to assist in the fixing of the design view issue or just confuse the issue even further. It seems that virtually any of the features introduced with gumbo will randomly break the design view, skins that are customised seem to break it immediately, mixing halo and spark pretty much sets it of as well. But that is only part of the issue, even a simple 10 line mxml file can send the ide into a tizz attack where it can take up to 90 secs for the design mode to actual fire up, during this time the pc is running both its cpu cores at 100%. Cutting and pasting code around in the mxml can kill the design view. Minimising the IDE whilst going to make a coffee can upset design view. I was even thinking of getting myself a magic eightball and using it to decide whether or not I should click that little icon on my desktop (the one just under the FlexBuilder Icon) that seez "FrackedBuilder". Or maybe we could put an electronic version on the design view button that could give us hints like "what a good choice",  "I would advise against pressing me at this time", "Have you seen your therapist lately", "Wouldn't you rather watch a training Video" or maybe "coffee seems a good choice right now".

I think there is only 2 requirements, fix what ever you broke in the flex IDE and make it happen yesterday, because unless the ide can perform better than FB3 its a safer choice to keep developing with FB3 whilst bringing other non-flash RIA development skills up to speed and then move on. This would be ashame because after several months of playing with the sdk its easy to see  to the incredible potential of Gumbo.

• 16. Re: Flash Builder 4 - Beta / Design view sporadic at best
                                        cnewroth Level 1

David brings up a very valid point, and btw, love the 'eightball' (lol). The thing that bothers me most is the semi-dismissive attitude. Create a slew of bug reports? I suppose. But this bug is going to be very hard to track down with so many things that can cause it. In fact, the one file i posted to the bug report (v2), is now working on my load, and v3 is NOT. I would assume that given a little time, i can break v2 .

There is a tremendous amount of value added that can be gained from from both catalyst / FB4 for our place, but until this is fixed....

Craig

Message was edited by: cnewroth ps. dont mean for this to become a 'flame' post. So please guys/gals(adobe) dont think i mean it that way.

• 17. Re: Flash Builder 4 - Beta / Design view sporadic at best
                                          eh_adobe Level 1

These all sound like distinct issues.

The issue with SparkSkin "skins that are customised seem to break it immediately" is fixed (in internal builds).

"mixing halo and spark pretty much sets it of as well" -- Switching a document between namespaces has some known issues that we are working on. The workaround is to close the document and reopen it. Do you do this frequently? Or are you referring to mixing halo and spark components? I can't think of any known issues with that, with the exception of putting components inside tags where they don't belong, which is logged.

"even a simple 10 line mxml file can send the ide into a tizz attack where it can take up to 90 secs for the design mode to actual fire up, during this time the pc is running both its cpu cores at 100%." -- If you can create a bug and post such a file, then we can investigate this and address it. The only thing I can think of here is that if the file involves embeds, we invoke the compiler, which can be slow, but we're looking into some issues with it right now.

"Minimising the IDE whilst going to make a coffee can upset design view" -- I'm not aware of this issue. What are the symptoms?

"Cutting and pasting code around in the mxml can kill the design view." -- I cannot tell from your description if you have found a new bug or are referring to bugs already in the bug base.

"fix what ever you broke in the flex IDE" -- Sometimes you have to break things to get new functionality. Supporting all the new Flex 4 features has been quite a bit of work. It's pretty clear that people are finding more issues in the beta than we did (because we would have fixed these), so we continue to ask people to post bugs and be as specific as possible about how to reproduce those problems. We will address all logged bugs.

Thanks,

--Eric

• 18. Re: Flash Builder 4 - Beta / Design view sporadic at best
                                            eh_adobe Level 1

I don't pretend to understand the forums... but the attachment to this message says QUEUED which means I can't access it. I'll inquire as to what that means... but meanwhile...

If you open a bug, and add it as an attachment to the bug, then I will be able to access it.

Thanks,

--Eric

• 19. Re: Flash Builder 4 - Beta / Design view sporadic at best
                                              Scott Evans (Adobe) Adobe Employee

Craig - I think you're reading an attitude into posts that we don't intend to convey, and that doesn't match our actual attitudes. Sometimes messages don't travel well via the interwebs, and it's easy to misread intent.  But I want you to know: NOBODY here is dismissive of bugs, or of our users' experiences with our products.

We may be terse in our forum communications, because we are all jamming like crazy to improve the product while also monitoring the forum. But trust me, we read every single forum comment and bug report, we take them to heart, we discuss them around the office, we email them to our managers, we prioritize our future work based on what we learn here and on blogs and on twitter and at conferences; and we attempt to fix every issue we can properly and thorougly. That often starts with a single bug report and somebody here will say "ah, you know what this makes me realize..."

Anyway -- we all want Builder to be a great product for everyone using it. (of course that's harder than it sounds.)  So it disappoints me to find threads where beta users are on the attack. Everyone on this forum is, I assume, a software developer, and is intimately familiar with the day-to-day realities of the features/quality/schedule triangle. I hope you guys can keep that in mind and stay constructive.

Sorry for the off-topic ramble, but I don't want you to think we don't love you.

Thanks!

gse

• 20. Re: Flash Builder 4 - Beta / Design view sporadic at best
                                                David_F57 Level 5

I agree that the forum format can cuase a degree of mis-interpretation but I don't see that here.

Maybe Adobe need to consider that those of us that made a commitment to flex are worried, I know in 25+ years I have never seen anyone offer such an unstable beta package, excluding Ashton Tates Dbase4 beta,  ( if you take into account there has been a preview version out for several months it makes it even worse). Less than 2 years ago I used fb3 beta's to prepare for a commercial project, that prototype was extremely well received at an Adobe Conference in Sydney a few months later(actually Adobe people requested that it be presented in their Air App shootout). I took the risk with the beta becuase the IDE was not erratic, it gave me the confidence I needed to sell my Bosses the idea of moving away from good old Delphi desktop development. This is what it is all about  "Confidence".

I report bugs if they are definable, I refuse to call observations bugs and when I say the Design View doesn't work that is an observation, when something like a specific file or process repeatedly fails then its a documentable process. Until there is a reasonable amount of stability in the IDE I can't pin down any specific issues. If I walk away from the Computer and come back to a busy cursor in FB4 when all I did was bring the IDE back in front of outlook thats a worry but do I put in a bug that states outlook cuases FB4 to have a heart attack ? especially if it only happened once.

I realise that the Gumbo team would be working at ellevated levels and I do appreciate that having your baby raked over the coals is upsetting, but internal fixes as mentioned in an earlier post don't let me get closer to the problems I am experiencing. If there had been no preview version(which I haven't seen) I would have gone into this beta with much lower expectations.

If I was told from the get go that this build is really easy to break but in 30 days we will give you a new build and see how it goes,I would have found that exceptable, punching in a serial number(a really dumb and annoying idea for betas even super authenticor M$ know this) and continueing on with a broken product achieves nothing.

So for me it is very simple, in 2 weeks the beta expires and most likely my desire to continue on with the product as over the last 3 months flex has generated 0 income for me and it was only the promise of things to come with gumbo that prevented me from reverting back to my long term comfort zone.  I don't see any wow factor in Flashbuilder that may improve that situation.

I really hope that its all gets sorted, but for me I can't wait anymore so its time to bug-out(couldn't avoid a final pun).

• 21. Re: Flash Builder 4 - Beta / Design view sporadic at best
                                                  cnewroth Level 1

well, thanks for the encouraging words. I sure hope that we can pin this down. I have been a staunch supporter of this stuff since CF 3.5 . I have included the file that is broke on bug https://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FB-20495 there as well. I was thinking if i del'd the project and deleted the files then maybe a re-import would work - *sighs* it didnt. So, I am kind of a loss as to what to try next. If I try saving the main.mxl file to a different name and using that, i get the same results.

Don' think that i am not super appreciative of your folks hard work. Over the years you have delivered outstanding products to us and i know you will continue to do so.

So, G/L on this one. Guess I'll just haunt the forums to see if it gets resolved.

We have a UG meeting coming up this month with Josh Adams (in fact today). I will ping him on it see what suggestions he might have as well.

Please feel free to contact me directly if i can provide any more on this. If I can come up with a workaround I'll post here and BUGS.

Sincerly,

Craig N.

ps. Dave_F57 - dont bug out (lol) - we (the community) need folks like you to help iron out these issue(s), as well as provide a great sense of humor about them. (I'm still laughing on the 'coffee' one!)

• 22. Re: Flash Builder 4 - Beta / Design view sporadic at best
                                                    David_F57 Level 5

I thought I would see how things went using an updated sdk, initially the pleasant surprise was I could see my modified skin in designview, I could even adjust it with a little heavy handed basketballing of the mouse(read slamming the mouse down to emulate a left click when you can't get focus on the rect object), changed the source all went well, tried the 'have a coffee test' and still I had design view on my return but closing the ide and opening it again brought me back to reality, the design view was gone the glorious properties menu displaying that all to familiar message 'This panel is only available in design mode'. Trying to remove and replace skins achieved nothing. Started a new project pasted the skins into it pasted the component statement into the mxml and once again all was well with the world. Closed/Opened the IDE and it was all over no more design mode. Now this test gave me a new bug - not the ide one but a slider one, the slider randomly choses to stop 1-5 steps before zero if you move the thumb forward then back again moving forward releasing the thumb then moving it back works fine.

http://gumbo.flashhub.net/slider/ use the slider backwards and forwards to see what happens to the value.(I will report this bug)

I have attached the source here as a reference to the designview issue. Craig you should have a look to see if this does the same to you, and you can even criticise my butchering of the slider skins if you want

David.

• 23. Re: Flash Builder 4 - Beta / Design view sporadic at best
                                                      eh_adobe Level 1

David,

"If I walk away from the Computer and come back to a busy cursor in FB4 when all I did was bring the IDE back in front of outlook thats a worry but do I put in a bug that states outlook cuases FB4 to have a heart attack ? especially if it only happened once"

We would like to investigate this. I get a SPOD once in awhile even while typing in code, but I haven't actually tried to chase it down yet. We continually work on performance issues, and even if a bug is marked "once", it may be that someone else can find a way to reproduce it more reliably.

"I thought I would see how things went using an updated sdk"

Please be aware that using a newer SDK with Flash Builder Beta's Design View may have unpredictable results. I can't say specifically since I don't know what version you tried and what your document contained, but... let's pretend for a second that the SDK changed something in a component - its name, its package, or any method or properties in it.  Design View was compiled with a specific version of the SDK, and would not know about that change, and so might not react very well to the document. Yes this is not ideal, but it's hard to avoid when the SDK is changing rapidly (at some point it will settle down, and this won't be an issue). We can look at ways to mitigate this.

"the design view was gone the glorious properties menu displaying that all to familiar message 'This panel is only available in design mode'."

Was the code/design button visible in the MXML editor, and if so what happened when switching to Design? Or does it mean that the editor failed to load and it reverted to the built in text editor? A screen shot might help. Also, if there is anything in the error log, that would help as well.

--Eric

• 24. Re: Flash Builder 4 - Beta / Design view sporadic at best
                                                        David_F57 Level 5

eh_adobe wrote:

Please be aware that using a newer SDK with Flash Builder Beta's Design View may have unpredictable results. I can't say specifically since I don't know what version you tried and what your document contained, but... let's pretend for a second that the SDK changed something in a component - its name, its package, or any method or properties in it.  Design View was compiled with a specific version of the SDK, and would not know about that change, and so might not react very well to the document. Yes this is not ideal, but it's hard to avoid when the SDK is changing rapidly (at some point it will settle down, and this won't be an issue). We can look at ways to mitigate this.

I have had less unpredicatable results with recent builds of the SDK the latest being build 7988- I basically update from the svn trunk every 2-3 days look through the changes run the checkintests just to make sure all is ok then see what happens to be small testbed apps, I have been doing this for several months. I don't mind the IDE not dealing with the changes as long as it tells me why it can't. But the code should not break the IDE. Also i'm getting a little confused as some of the responses to some issues (not the design mode one) in this forum have suggested seeing what happens with updated SDK's.

Anyway I have reverted everything back to a standard FB4 install and the first thing that happened yet another new flaw in design mode rears its head, no errors but this time a visually definable issue. The component appears as a 1 dimension line in the top left hand corner of the design editor window, not even on the design view working canvas. Attached is a screen shot and the associated code that caused it. Please note the IDE didn't draw the big red ring around the visual glitch so thats one less bug to worry about.

the app.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<s:Application xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009" xmlns:s="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/spark" xmlns:mx="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/halo" minWidth="1024" minHeight="768">

<s:HSlider x="50" y="50" width="200" height="30" skinClass="skins.HSliderSkin"/>     

</s:Application>

skin part A.

<!--

ADOBE SYSTEMS INCORPORATED

Copyright 2008 Adobe Systems Incorporated

All Rights Reserved.

NOTICE: Adobe permits you to use, modify, and distribute this file

in accordance with the terms of the license agreement accompanying it.

-->

<!--- The default skin class for the Spark HSlider component. The thumb and track skins are defined by the

HSliderThumbSkin and HSliderTrackSkin classes, respectively. -->

<s:SparkSkin xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009" xmlns:s="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/spark"

minHeight="11" minWidth="100"

alpha.disabled="0.5">

<fx:Metadata>

<![CDATA[

/**

* @copy spark.skins.default.ApplicationSkin#hostComponent

*/

[HostComponent("spark.components.HSlider")]

]]>

</fx:Metadata>

<fx:Script>

/* Define the skin elements that should not be colorized.

For slider, the skin itself is colorized but the individual parts are not. */

static private const exclusions:Array = ["track", "thumb"];

/**

* @copy spark.skins.SparkSkin#colorizeExclusions

*/          

override public function get colorizeExclusions():Array {return exclusions;}

</fx:Script>

<s:states>

<s:State name="normal" />

<s:State name="disabled" />

</s:states>

<fx:Declarations>

<!--- Defines the appearance of the the Slider's DataTip. To customize the DataTip's appearance, create a custom HSliderSkin class. -->

<fx:Component id="dataTip">         

<s:MXMLComponent minHeight="24" minWidth="40" y="-34"> 

<s:Rect top="0" left="0" right="0" bottom="0">

<s:fill>

<s:SolidColor color="0x000000" alpha=".9"/>

</s:fill>

<s:filters>

<s:DropShadowFilter angle="90" color="0x999999" distance="3"/>

</s:filters>

</s:Rect>

<s:SimpleText id="labelElement" text="{data}"

horizontalCenter="0" verticalCenter="1"

left="5" right="5" top="5" bottom="5"

textAlign="center" verticalAlign="middle"

fontWeight="normal" color="white" fontSize="11">

</s:SimpleText>

</s:MXMLComponent>

</fx:Component>

</fx:Declarations>

<!--- Defines the skin class for the HSliderSkin's track. The default skin class is HSliderTrackSkin. -->

<s:Button id="track" left="0" right="0" top="0" bottom="0"

skinClass="skins.HSliderTrackSkin"/>

<!--- Defines the skin class for the HSliderSkin's thumb. The default skin class is HSliderThumbSkin. -->

<s:Button id="thumb" top="1" bottom="1" width="{hostComponent.height*1.5}" skinClass="skins.HSliderThumbSkin"/>

</s:SparkSkin>

Skin Part B
                                                        <!--
                                                             All Rights Reserved.
                                                        -->
                                                        <!--- The default skin class for the thumb of a Spark HSlider component. -->
                                                        <s:SparkSkin xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009" xmlns:s="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/spark">
                                                            <![CDATA[
                                                             /**
                                                              */
                                                                 [HostComponent("spark.components.Button")]
                                                            ]]>

<s:State name="up" />
                                                                <s:State name="over" />
                                                                <s:State name="down" />

<!-- border -->
                                                            <s:Rect left="0" right="0" top="0" bottom="0" radiusX="{hostComponent.height/2}" radiusY="{hostComponent.height/2}">
                                                                    <s:SolidColor color="0x4F4F4F"  />
                                                             <!-- fill -->
                                                             <s:Rect left="0.5" right="0.5" top="0.5" bottom="0.5" radiusX="{hostComponent.height/2}" radiusY="{hostComponent.height/2}">
                                                                  <s:stroke>
                                                                       <s:LinearGradientStroke rotation="90" weight="1">
                                                                            <s:GradientEntry color="0x000000" alpha="0" />
                                                                            <s:GradientEntry color="0x000000" alpha="0.33" />
                                                                       </s:LinearGradientStroke>
                                                                  </s:stroke>
                                                                       <s:LinearGradient rotation="90">
                                                                            <s:GradientEntry color="0xFFFFFF"
                                                                                              color.over="0xE5E5E5"
                                                                                              color.down="0x999999" />
                                                                            <s:GradientEntry color="0xD8D8D8"
                                                                                              color.over="0x7D7D7D"
                                                                                              color.down="0x555555" />
                                                                       </s:LinearGradient>
                                                             <!-- highlight -->
                                                             Skin Part C
                                                        <!--
                                                             All Rights Reserved.
                                                        -->
                                                        <!--- The default skin class for the track of a Spark HSlider component. -->
                                                        <s:SparkSkin xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009" xmlns:s="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/spark">
                                                            <![CDATA[
                                                             /**
                                                              */
                                                                 [HostComponent("spark.components.Button")]
                                                            ]]>

<s:State name="up" />
                                                                <s:State name="down" />
                                                                <s:State name="over" />
                                                             <!-- border -->
                                                            <s:Rect left="-1" right="-1" top="0" bottom="-1" radiusX="{hostComponent.height/2}" radiusY="{hostComponent.height/2}">
                                                                    <s:LinearGradient rotation="90" >
                                                                         <s:GradientEntry color="0x000000" alpha="0.55" />
                                                                         <s:GradientEntry color="0xFFFFFF" alpha="0.55" ratio="0.8" />
                                                                    </s:LinearGradient>
                                                            <!-- fill -->
                                                            <s:Rect left="0" right="0" top="1" bottom="0" radiusX="{hostComponent.height/2}" radiusY="{hostComponent.height/2}">
                                                                    <s:SolidColor color="0xCACACA" />

<!-- hit area -->
                                                             <s:Rect left="0" right="0" top="0" bottom="0" radiusX="{hostComponent.height/2}" radiusY="{hostComponent.height/2}">
                                                                       <s:SolidColor alpha="0"/>

• 25. Re: Flash Builder 4 - Beta / Design view sporadic at best
                                                          eh_adobe Level 1

David,

For many purposes an updated SDK is just fine. There are some caveats with Design View, but if you're not doing anything really weird, or loading custom components from SWCs, then you should be ok.

The issue you're having with the skins is reproducible in the beta but is fixed in newer builds. So please hang in there until we get an update out. We appreciate the feedback.

• 26. Re: Flash Builder 4 - Beta / Design view sporadic at best
                                                            cnewroth Level 1

Whoo-hoo! Eric Herrmann and Yukari Machiyama in my bug filing found the little culprit...see the link:

http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FB-20495

but basically it seems to be the <s:text> tag nested in the <s:content> tag. taking this tag OUT and (well at least for me) saving the file, pressing the refresh button in design view, did in fact make the view 're-appear'. They say it is fixed in build xxxx;

The issue with <s:text> tag inside <span> is now fixed, in p4 change 239130.

but not heard back when this build will be available.

now to see what else i can break!

Craig

• 27. Re: Flash Builder 4 - Beta / Design view sporadic at best
                                                              cnewroth Level 1

Sorry to post so much on this one topic, but thought i would share this last tidbit...

what i was trying to do was to put a binding in the Richtext control (which broke the design view in the first place). You couldn't just put this in the richtext control and have it show the bound data...

<s:RichText

fontFamily="Arial" lineHeight="15" tracking="-4%" color="0xaeaeae" whiteSpaceCollapse="preserve" kerning="on" ai:knockout="0" >

<s:content><s:p><s:span>{list1.selectedItem.job_title}</s:span></s:p></s:content>

</s:RichText>

**THIS WILL NOT SHOW THE BINDING to the selectedItem**

so what i did was (after some searching on the docs for FB4) add the <s:text> tag inside of the <s:span> tags...and wa-la! we all know what happend from there .

so now i was faced with trying to keep the goodness of the richText tag yet get my binding to work...and here is what i found;

Once i got the design view back i was able to see the properties panel with the richText control 'selected'. there i saw a 'text' property so i decided to try putting the binding there. When i did then i wound up with this code;

<s:RichText

fontFamily="Arial" text.Detail="{list1.selectedItem.email_address}" lineHeight="15" tracking="-4%" color="0xaeaeae" whiteSpaceCollapse="preserve" kerning="on" y="27" ai:knockout="0" >

<s:content><s:p><s:span></s:span></s:p></s:content>

</s:RichText>

and this works just fine, i am a little surprised that i have the option to put in a 'dot' notation on the text method (i.e. Detail, List, Search), as it doesn't seem to need that to work, but i am sure that someone will enlighten me as to why that is there on this method.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Craig

• 28. Re: Flash Builder 4 - Beta / Design view sporadic at best
                                                                cnewroth Level 1

sorry for the delay David, but yes it does the same for me. I noticed it in the tutorial but didn't think too much of it, just thought it was my mouse. but, yes, took your zip file and it does exactly the same for me. I did notice, that if i release the slider at 1.00 then grab it again, i can move it to 0.00, but it always stops at 1.00 for me. Did you file a bug? if so, link it and i login and go vote for it

Craig

• 29. Re: Flash Builder 4 - Beta / Design view sporadic at best
                                                                  David_F57 Level 5

Hey Craig,

I did log a bug and they have already fixed it.(judging from the notes in the latest SDK build, haven't tested it as I am avoiding nightly builds for the moment)

Just when you start losing faith in theses guys they drag you back in...

Now to  go fight the good fight over having to license beta's.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/453289?tstart=0