5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2016 8:46 AM by raymonoleksiy

file path too long when collecting??...

james works

Hi all,

REALLY hope someone has some wisdom on this! I've searched forums and the web and not yet found an answer....

I've got a MASSIVE project on an external drive that's on the way out, so I want to collect the project that's on it to another new healthy drive. The current file structure leaves alot to be desired (several years of updating the same project and splitting it into managable portions then importing them back together several times, files still on there that aren't in use in AE anymore but have been kept 'incase we need them again later', etc...you can imagine the mess!)

SO, I'm getting the 'file path too long' error when trying to collect it. Now, I could manually go through every folder and sub folder and tidy things up within AE - this would days about a week I reckon! - but I'll do it if that's the only way. What I'm wondering is this: -

A) is the problem AE is having with the deep structure *WITHIN* ae project, or with the actual folders/files on the disk itself?

B) if I tidy it up in AE only will that fix it?

C) is there an easier way to do this rather than manually going through everything and looking for the offenders???

Thanks guys,
      Jim.

• 1. Re: file path too long when collecting??...
          Navarro Parker Level 3

I ran into this problem with CS3 last year.  I believe it's the overall file structure is too long starting from the root. (HD>user>you>docs>AEProj>projname>folder1>folder2>...folder500).  But don't hold me to that.

Maybe Todd has the official answer.

I just had to unbury a few deeply nested files manually.

• 2. Re: file path too long when collecting??...
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Yes, Navarro is right. Just shortening the names of some of the folders can help.

For example, if your files are in a path like this...

C:\root_directory_with_a_crazily_long_name_for_no_good_reason\sub_folder_that_also_has_a_v ery_long_name\

then you can avoid problems by changing your folder/directory names like this...

C:\root\subfolder\

• 3. Re: file path too long when collecting??...
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

james works wrote:

A) is the problem AE is having with the deep structure *WITHIN* ae project, or with the actual folders/files on the disk itself?

It's in the file system, though things like depply nested/ grouped PSD and AI files can contribute to it by making the virtual file paths longer. I'm afraid you'll have to swallow the bitter pill and physically re-organize your assets, starting with the ones that naturally are in the folders with the deepest hierarchy and longest names. These can be made to show with the respective column in the project window. It may be well enough to move/ rename a few files, not everything so at some point trying to collect might simply work without needing to spend those days and weeks...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: file path too long when collecting??...
                james works Level 1

GULP....so I have to reorganise my assets OUTSIDE of AE and then relink it all WITHIN AE afterwards?? With 3 x 430GB projects and thousands of assets that is going to take a looooooooonng time.

What I don't understand (or like) is how AE will let you get this far without any warning and still operate/save, etc but then when you come to collect is goes 'urr urrrr, computer says no'.

Is there really no way of automating some of this then? I mean even a script that highlighted items in the project that are over the maximum path length would save a hell of a lot of manual searching and counting.

Thanks for your replies guys but.....AAAARRGGHH!!!!!

• 5. Re: file path too long when collecting??...
                  raymonoleksiy Level 1

Hi all, I have been suffering from accessing, managing and even renaming files

>>> that have more than 255 characters over a long time. I have tried various ways

>>> but failed. Then I have searched this problem in internet. Then I have found a solution. This software is very easy to use. Named Long path Tool.