8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2009 5:05 PM by monkamoo

Difference in timeline preview vs runtime

monkamoo Level 1

Hi guys, not sure if this is a bug, but I when crafting my transitions from state to state for a custom component, it seems to work ok in the preview, but when I run the project, the transition does not work properly.  It is not consistent - most transitions work fine in both the preview and at runtime.  I tried sending the file, but I haven't been successful.  I get an error that the .fxg type is not allowed.

The transitions both work properly in the preview, but not in either IE or Firefox

Thanks, Don

• 1. Re: Difference in timeline preview vs runtime
          acath Level 4

Hi Don,

Try renaming the file to .TXT. Stupid content filters...

-Adam

Catalyst Engineering

• 2. Re: Difference in timeline preview vs runtime
            monkamoo Level 1

Hi Adam, I attached the file as a .txt.  There are references to some photoshop images.  I hope this does not preclude you from running it.    In particular, take a look at the brakeFilterCustomComponent.  Here are some specific examples of transitions working in the preview, but not at runtime:

Example 1:  amBrakesStainlessHoseSteelRotors to brakesStart transition- notice it works as it should in the preview.  However, when in runtime, this transition moves some of the text when it should only fade it out.  Notice there are some move actions in the amBrakesStainlesshoseSteelRotors state.  If you try to delete the move actions, they will delete.  However, if you navigate away from the state and then back to it, notice these actions reappear.  I think that the "ghost" actions are not affecting the preview, but it does affect runtime.

Example 2:  amBrakesBlackHose to brakesStart - same exact issue.  Works in preview but not runtime.  Ghost move actions remain in amBrakesBlackHose state after trying to delete them.

Hope this helps.  I look forward to your response.  Don

• 3. Re: Difference in timeline preview vs runtime
              acath Level 4

Hi Don,

Your attachment FINALLY made it through the "attachment queue". Before I investigate this...are you still having this problem?

-Adam

• 4. Re: Difference in timeline preview vs runtime
                monkamoo Level 1

Adam, I started from scratch and am not having those problems.  However, one thing you can diagnose is the following:  If you go into a state and remove some of the move actions, how come the program does not accept it?  For example, I know that if you edit a component and move it from one spot to another that it would generate an automatic move action in the state.  However, how come I cannot delete this move action?  Let's say that I have some text that is just not in the right spot and I want to move it 20 pixels in a certain direction.  This would generate a move action in the state, but it cannot be deleted and it affects state changes.  Thanks, Don

• 5. Re: Difference in timeline preview vs runtime
                  acath Level 4

I assume you're talking about the 0-duration, instantaneous move effect, right? The reason you can't delete that is that the timeline is showing you what will happen when you change states. Since the location of the object is different by 20px in the two states, the object is going to move. The instantaneous effect shows you that it's going to move instantly at the beginning of the transition. If you want it to take time to move, or to start moving later, you can drag the effect bar.

-Adam

• 6. Re: Difference in timeline preview vs runtime
                    monkamoo Level 1

Yes, you are correct about the instantaneous move action.  That is what I am talking about.  I can see how that would be useful in many instances, but what happens if you get far in a development and you find that you placed your component, image, etc in the wrong place?  Does this mean I have to delete all the states associated with that component and start from scratch?  Might be useful to have some kind of "switch" to at least ignore any particular action for the ever changing layout that occurs during design.   Just food for thought.  Regards, Don

• 7. Re: Difference in timeline preview vs runtime
                      acath Level 4

Ah, I see. It's not that you want to delete the animation, it's that you don't want the object to move when changing between those two states. Deleting the move effect is an interesting gesture for that. I'll put that on the list of possible enhancements.

For now, there are a few things you can do:

•   Copy the position from one state to the other by hand (using the properties panel).

•   If you want all states to look the same, you can right-click on the object and choose "share to state > current state only", then share the object back into whatever states it existed in before. This blows away any state-specific settings. In a future beta, they'll be a shortcut for doing this (to the tune of "Make All States Look Like This State").

Thanks for the idea!

-Adam

• 8. Re: Difference in timeline preview vs runtime
                        monkamoo Level 1

Bingo!  That is exactly what I would like.  I do not want the move to happen between states and I would like to have the ability to delete it.  thanks, don